Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BEAVER ANAL GLANDS in your ice cream and other nasty shit in your food

I keep hoping Twitchy will come in here and de-bunk this article. Where is her emphatic "bullshit!" when I want it?

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I keep hoping Twitchy will come in here and de-bunk this article. Where is her emphatic "bullshit!" when I want it?
    Well if you or anyone else have any sources that can dispute any of this, have at it. Why wait for another poster to play Captain-Save-A-Thread?

I admit I sideyed some of this article/blog post too, but it's no secret that chemicals, preservatives, bug parts, etc is in the food people eat.

High fructose corn syrup is shit and I try to avoid eating anything with it as much as possible.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Oh well, we're all going to die someday. I guess I'll keep eating ice cream and stop thinking about Beaver assholes.
    I just mostly laughed at it all. Small amounts and not toxic, big deal. And just because some things have industrial uses does not mean they are automatically bad in food products. Of course the stuff that is really toxic is something to be concerned about..but some of this
    kind of reminds me of this:

Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO.org DIHDRYOGEN MONOXIDE Headline Page

Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info

They had blue milk in Star Wars

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    They had blue milk in Star Wars

ok..now we need to see a fatass Luke Skywalker...and a fatass Princess Leia(or however ya spell it) with a fat face and that Squash blossom/cinnamon bun hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I just mostly laughed at it all. Small amounts and not toxic, big deal. And just because some things have industrial uses does not mean they are automatically bad in food products. Of course the stuff that is really toxic is something to be concerned about..but some of this
    kind of reminds me of this:

Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO.org DIHDRYOGEN MONOXIDE Headline Page

Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info
    AAAAHHH, OMG I drink Dihydrogen Monoxide ALL the time to keep my hydrated. Especially when I go running. Oh lord! What am I gonna do?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    AAAAHHH, OMG I drink Dihydrogen Monoxide ALL the time to keep my hydrated. Especially when I go running. Oh lord! What am I gonna do?!?!?!?!

The article itself(yours) was good, but it did come across a bit alarmist and all. Although antifreeze in food? I wonder what level of that is considered safe for consumption? That just sounds like there is no way it could not be bad.

Everything I am learning about the diet powdered drinks I use it nothing but bad news. Shit.

fuck. if thought about all the nasty shit that's in my food, i'd never eat again. i'm not a germphobe either, whew!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    The article itself(yours) was good, but it did come across a bit alarmist and all. Although antifreeze in food? I wonder what level of that is considered safe for consumption? That just sounds like there is no way it could not be bad.

Everything I am learning about the diet powdered drinks I use it nothing but bad news. Shit.
    Yeah, it was a pretty alarmist article, but the thought of that stuff in the food people eat is pretty damn alarming in and of itself.

I stopped drinking diet sodas because of aspertame and I rarely use Splenda/sucralose due to all the warnings about those products.

Methylparaben

Find methylparaben in many wines, soft drinks, and fruit juice from concentrate… Enjoy it knowing that the additive originates in the vaginas of dogs when they are in heat. Yummers.
    actually:

Methylparaben is produced naturally and found in several fruits, primarily blueberries, along with other parabens. There is no evidence that methylparaben or propylparabens are harmful at concentrations typically used in body care or cosmetics.[4] Methylparaben and propylparaben are considered generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for food and cosmetic antibacterial preservation.[5] Methylparaben is readily metabolized by common soil bacteria, making it completely biodegradable.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

A reader wrote to The VRG in April 2011 about a comment made by British chef, Jamie Oliver, on The Late Show with David Letterman. Mr. Oliver said that vanilla flavoring in ice cream is made with castoreum, a substance derived from beaver anal glands. The reader asked us if there was any truth to this statement.

The VRG asked five companies that manufacture both natural and artificial vanilla, vanilla extracts, concentrates, distillates, powders, and flavors. All five unanimously stated that castoreum is not used today in any form of vanilla sold for human food use.

One company, in business for ninety years, informed The VRG that they have never used castoreum in their products. “At one time,” we were told by a senior level employee at this company, “to the best of my knowledge, it was used to make fragrance and still may be.”

Companies directed us to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) which they all said they follow strictly and exclusively: CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

To quote the CFR, Title 21, Part 169, Subpart B, Section175 (cited as 21CFR169.175) on this point:

“…[v]anilla extract is the solution in aqueous ethyl alcohol of the sapid and odorous principles extractable from vanilla beans. In vanilla extract the content of ethyl alcohol is not less than 35 percent by volume…The vanilla constituent may be extracted directly from vanilla beans or it may be added in the form of concentrated vanilla extract or concentrated vanilla flavoring or vanilla flavoring concentrated to the semisolid form called vanilla oleo-resin. Vanilla extract may contain one or more of the following optional ingredients:
    (1) Glycerin. (2) Propylene glycol. (3) Sugar (including invert sugar). (4) Dextrose. (5) Corn sirup (including dried corn sirup). (VRG Note: spelling appears exactly as is from the original.)
    (b)(1) The specified name of the food is ‘Vanilla extract’ or ‘Extract of vanilla’.
    (2) When the vanilla extract is made in whole or in part by dilution of vanilla oleoresin, concentrated vanilla extract, or concentrated vanilla flavoring, the label shall bear the statement ‘Made from ___’ or ‘Made in part from ___’, the blank being filled in with the name or names ‘vanilla oleoresin’, ‘concentrated vanilla extract’, or ‘concentrated vanilla flavoring’, as appropriate…”

Section 177 of this subpart in the CFR Title 21 specifies requirements for vanilla flavoring:

“…[v]anilla flavoring conforms to the definition and standard of identity and is subject to any requirement for label statement of ingredients prescribed for vanilla extract by 169.175, except that its content of ethyl alcohol is less than 35 percent by volume.

(b) The specified name of the food is Vanilla flavoring.”

A major ingredients supplier that sells both natural and artificial vanilla extracts, concentrates, distillates, and flavors to many food companies told us this about some of their vanilla flavorings: “The flavor itself contains proprietary information that cannot be shared but it’s made from a combination of raw materials, such as vanillin, vanitrope, heliotropin, and maltol.” (VRG Note: All ingredients in this list are either all-vegetable or synthetic.) We were also informed by this company when The VRG asked specifically about castoreum in food ingredients: “…It’s not a common raw material that is used and we don’t use it, so I can safely say that our natural vanilla flavors do not contain any animal juices. All vanilla extracts are free of it, too, wherever you go.”

The Vegetarian Resource Group Blog

There's more things to read at the link.

Kind of strange to think that agribusiness raises and cultivates enough beaver for this to be a major ingredient in the first place.

Here was another interesting one (from a CNN Money column that also mentions beaver), but it looks like it isn't used any more because they found a synthetic:
    Similar olfactory paradoxes are at work in perfumes, says Fischetti. Rose-scented fragrances often contain small amounts of civet absolute, an extract from the anal scent glands of civet cats, weasel-like creatures of Asia. Yet "when you taste concentrated civet, it reminds you of fecal matter," he adds. Taste it? "In the old days we got civet from Asia," says Fischetti. "It came packed in water buffalo horns. One of my jobs was to tell if it really was civet. You had to taste it to make sure." (Instruments now do the job.)

Civet was once widely used in meat flavorings, cheese, and other foods. Like skatole, its role is to help blend a mix of flavors or fragrances together. But today a cheaper synthetic version, civetone, has replaced the real thing in most products except high-end perfumes.

musk

it's nothing new.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Someone please put a boot up Jamie Oliver's arse. And now I'm nausated because I see there is crushed, boiled bugs (carmine) in the new fruit-juice jellies I bought today. No more procrastination - time for me to learn how to cook from scratch. But what the flip is 'half and half'? Isn't it the sugar Lily Tomlin switched with rat poison in 9 to 5?
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Well if you or anyone else have any sources that can dispute any of this, have at it. Why wait for another poster to play Captain-Save-A-Thread?

I was kidding. And skeeved out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information