Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: All Cheese All the Time

Brie, brie, brie and cheddah! Then Swiss or Provolone. Not a big fan of American - even though I just had a piece of kielbasa wrapped in American.
    fgg likes this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Only tangentially cheese-related, but it reminded me: my mom was watching my kid over the summer and I told her we give him cheddar cheese melted on his eggs. She'd brought some Kraft Singles for herself, and used them for his eggs. Fine, I didn't mind for a 3 day situation. But she argued that it was *healthier* than cheddar because "they dye that cheese yellow" Like Kraft Singles just naturally come that way off the tree. And bc Kraft Singles were "made with whole milk, it says on the package."

Insert forehead smack emoji.
    czb, sputnik, BITTER and 3 others like this.

Please tell her that Kraft singles cannot legally call themselves cheese, they have to say processed cheese or cheese food. Its also dyed orange.
    BITTER, Beeyotch and Brookie like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yeah I tried, there's no reasoning going to happen there.

Oh man, those things are Satan's "cheese". I was making a dinner for these boys I was babysitting eons ago and the family ate crap food. They had store brand fake cheese slices. There was no actual cheese in the fridge. Well I tried to make them a pizza and used these vegetable oil cheese slice abominations and they never melted and were kind of like plastic. I remember being kind of horrified when i took the pizza out of the oven that this substance never even could melt? I knew then that I would never buy these things for my own children.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

You can by Organic American cheese. For what it's worth. In fact I saw one that says it's not "processed" and I'm not sure how they get away with that since cheese doesn't fall off the tree like that. And they also have no artificial colors added to them...Kraft does, but not Horizon or Organic Valley, etc.

As for the color of cheddar itself, most cheddars are colored with anatto, but in the golden times, cheddar cheese was orange depending on the grasses the cows were eating at the time. I think it was summer grass that turned the milk and cheese orange. After that, other cheesemakers thought they could make their customers believe they were eating quality cheddar by dying it orange. YMMV on this story, but I think that's what I remember about it.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I knew that about dye in cheddar, but this only confuses the issue for my mom. It's hard to disentangle the lifetime of misinformation that has turned into convictions at her age. It's like dismantling someone's belief system. It can be done but I don't have the energy to explain in a way she'll understand. Without my head exploding.

I'm just like, you can look it up if you don't believe me. Ask a nutritionist.
    czb and sputnik like this.

Shameful American cheese confession - I only use Shoprite white american cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches. And for baked macaroni, something my mom's made for us since we were little, which is layered macaroni, squished whole plum tomatoes, and cut up white american. But I am also a cheese whore for anything except swiss-like cheeses

czb

i LOVE muenster for grilled cheese. but white american is good, too. just don't have any american cheese in the house.
    Beeyotch likes this.

My daughter has decided she likes to eat grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch at school every day. So, all I do is take a couple pieces of bread with two slices of whatever cheese is currently around (sharp cheddar, or colby jack, typically) in between. Then, put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes. She warms it up in the microwave at school.

Mrs Mo is a huge fan of Asiago cheese, which is pretty pungent, especially as it gets older.

If she like asiago, then get her some of the bellavitano with herbs de provence and a nice red. You can thank me later.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    If she like asiago, then get her some of the bellavitano with herbs de provence and a nice red. You can thank me later.
    Thanks. I just looked it up and it sounds like something she'd love. She's going camping this weekend and this would be a great surprise for her when she gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My daughter has decided she likes to eat grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch at school every day. So, all I do is take a couple pieces of bread with two slices of whatever cheese is currently around (sharp cheddar, or colby jack, typically) in between. Then, put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes. She warms it up in the microwave at school.
    I toast the bread, let it cool and then put the cheese as I don't like cheese that melted before . (the french do that on their croque monsieur and i really hate when they reheat it)

Camembert is my fav, I put it in the microwave and then use it as a dip with some grilled bread slices. I could eat that every day.I ran out of camembert and yesterday I ate it with Babybel which wasn't the same but i still liked it
    Smoked scamorza, especially with pasta and beans soup. I sliced it in there and let it melt
    Boursin with pepper on a salmon bagel.

I haven't seen it in a long time, don't know if they still make it, but I used to love Sonoma Jack cheeses. Particularly the jalapeno and habanero varieties of jack.

Man I could eat half a block by myself.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
    It's so not fancy or bougie but I just love love love Boursin. I could easily eat a whole package on crackers, the good old original garlic and fine herbs.
    Boursin is one of the few cheeses I'll eat. I think its because it's very garlicky. Meanwhile himself and the cats demolished a small wheel of Camembert on garlic crackers. He tried to get me to try some but the smell was too much.
    sprynkles likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information