Wanted: dark chocolate! Must be European, uncompromising and sensual. (my personal ad)
With regards to the hulls as mulch, theobromine, a chemical found in cocoa mulch, can be harmful to pets. According to the ASPCA:
"Cocoa beans contain the stimulants caffeine and theobromine. Dogs are highly sensitive to these chemicals, called methylxanthines. In dogs, low doses of methylxanthine can cause mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain); higher doses can cause rapid heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures, and death.
Eaten by a 50-pound dog, about 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch may cause gastrointestinal upset; about 4.5 ounces, increased heart rate; about 5.3 ounces, seizures; and over 9 ounces, death. (In contrast, a 50-pound dog can eat up to about 7.5 ounces of milk chocolate without gastrointestinal upset and up to about a pound of milk chocolate without increased heart rate.)"
So, best used by people with out pets or in flowerbeds that are separated from the animals by some sort of fence. Sorry to come off alarmist in the midst of such a heavenly topic, but I'd hate to see somebody's baby get hurt.