Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

  1. #16
    Lil
    Lil is offline
    Gold Member Lil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,047

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    I like the very dark stuff too, but have a current obsession with Lindt Lindors which I have been eating in vast quantities. I also like Cadbuy's Twirls, Galaxy Caramels, and Maltezers. I don't think much of Hershey's chocolate though - it seems fatty and tasteless to me.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

  2. #17
    Elite Member FierceKiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Neverlands
    Posts
    6,927

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    ^^For some reason, I could never eat a plain hershey bar, the blanded chocolate I ever tasted. However See's and Worlds Finest will do it for me. I give those little girl scouts the evil eye, cause I dont know what im gonna do when I see or smell chocolate. I just wanna destroy the whole bag and run away with it.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

  3. #18
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    72

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    dark chocolate freak here. i'm a purist. i need a high cocoa content (minimum 70%), and i like my choc plain, no fancy fillings, liqueur, fruit, nuts or anything.
    the only exceptions are cafe-tasse's wonderful dark chocolate with fresh ginger bits (douple aphrodisiac there), and villars dark chocolate with whole almonds, and the dark chocolate with candied orange rinds.
    i live in switzerland, so needless to say, chocolate is everywhere. and there are loads of confiserie places that make the most wonderful, artisanal chocolate ever. i'm spoiled.
    we share the same passions!

  4. #19
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    dark chocolate freak here. i'm a purist. i need a high cocoa content (minimum 70%), and i like my choc plain, no fancy fillings, liqueur, fruit, nuts or anything.
    the only exceptions are cafe-tasse's wonderful dark chocolate with fresh ginger bits (douple aphrodisiac there), and villars dark chocolate with whole almonds, and the dark chocolate with candied orange rinds.
    i live in switzerland, so needless to say, chocolate is everywhere. and there are loads of confiserie places that make the most wonderful, artisanal chocolate ever. i'm spoiled.
    Orange and ginger are my two favourite chocolate pairings, although I occasionally like caramel. You are lucky to live where you do.

  5. #20
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Another good thing about chocolate even extends to the garden: cocoa shells! They make a great mulch! You can buy a 3 cubic foot bag for about 6 bucks-great to use in outside potted plants or in flower beds near a patio, porch or deck. After watering or a nice rain on a warm summer night the smell is intoxicating!!!
    I've never heard of cocoa shells being used this way. What a fantastic idea, Soljiita. I may steal it from you.

  6. #21
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    50,870

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Orange and ginger are my two favourite chocolate pairings, although I occasionally like caramel. You are lucky to live where you do.
    it's both a blessing and a curse. ;-)

  7. #22
    Elite Member twitchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dancing on your grave!!!!
    Posts
    9,131

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    Wanted: dark chocolate! Must be European, uncompromising and sensual. (my personal ad)

    With regards to the hulls as mulch, theobromine, a chemical found in cocoa mulch, can be harmful to pets. According to the ASPCA:

    "Cocoa beans contain the stimulants caffeine and theobromine. Dogs are highly sensitive to these chemicals, called methylxanthines. In dogs, low doses of methylxanthine can cause mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain); higher doses can cause rapid heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures, and death.

    Eaten by a 50-pound dog, about 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch may cause gastrointestinal upset; about 4.5 ounces, increased heart rate; about 5.3 ounces, seizures; and over 9 ounces, death. (In contrast, a 50-pound dog can eat up to about 7.5 ounces of milk chocolate without gastrointestinal upset and up to about a pound of milk chocolate without increased heart rate.)"

    So, best used by people with out pets or in flowerbeds that are separated from the animals by some sort of fence. Sorry to come off alarmist in the midst of such a heavenly topic, but I'd hate to see somebody's baby get hurt.


  8. #23
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default Re: All about chocolate: the good, the bad, the ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Wanted: dark chocolate! Must be European, uncompromising and sensual. (my personal ad)

    With regards to the hulls as mulch, theobromine, a chemical found in cocoa mulch, can be harmful to pets. According to the ASPCA:

    "Cocoa beans contain the stimulants caffeine and theobromine. Dogs are highly sensitive to these chemicals, called methylxanthines. In dogs, low doses of methylxanthine can cause mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal pain); higher doses can cause rapid heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures, and death.

    Eaten by a 50-pound dog, about 2 ounces of cocoa bean mulch may cause gastrointestinal upset; about 4.5 ounces, increased heart rate; about 5.3 ounces, seizures; and over 9 ounces, death. (In contrast, a 50-pound dog can eat up to about 7.5 ounces of milk chocolate without gastrointestinal upset and up to about a pound of milk chocolate without increased heart rate.)"

    So, best used by people with out pets or in flowerbeds that are separated from the animals by some sort of fence. Sorry to come off alarmist in the midst of such a heavenly topic, but I'd hate to see somebody's baby get hurt.

    I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I don't have a dog but I love them and would hate to see one get poisoned!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Low-cal chocolate dessert
    By pacific breeze in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 28th, 2006, 11:47 PM
  2. Good Reasons Not to Drink, Even With Good Friends
    By browneyedgirly in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 9th, 2005, 11:52 PM
  3. Chocolate Recipes?
    By NoDayButToday in forum Recipes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 7th, 2005, 11:49 PM
  4. R.Kelly........ugly ugly ugly
    By peekaboo in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 1st, 2005, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •