Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's sick of oversalted, oversweet food?

SVZ

Default Who's sick of oversalted, oversweet food?

Seriously this is disgusting, I thought I might treat myself to some chicken wings tonight from the local restuarant, and they taste like they were dipped in a bucket of salt. Not to mention it's also sweet because it's honey glazed.

Why does something only taste "good" when it kicks you in the face with flavour, rips open your throat and shits down your neck?

I'm getting some water and throwing this crap out. I can see why diabetes and high blood pressure is on the rise, just look at the stuff people shove in their mouths.

Default Re: Who's sick of oversalted, oversweet food?

I hate ordering wings to find they are "barbeque" which in DC means MOLASSES soaked! Ridiculous!

I hate to say it, but that's why I rarely eat out unless it's a top restaurant (and someone else is paying) any more.

Also, once you get used to natural foods, you really notice the bad stuff more.

SVZ

Why do you hate to say it? That's a damn good reason to not eat out.

The frozen food in the grocery store is the same...why can't they make "healthy" food that's actually *gasp* healthy? It'd actually be cheaper.

Gold Member

I'm right there with you! I like my food to have a nice flavor and seasoning but some places the food makes you gag because it's just too much. I had a hankering for something hot one night, I ordered an avalanche from the place across the road. It's hot pastrami with buffalo sauce and bleu cheese dressing on a sub roll. The first time I had it, it was perfect, the next time it was like everything had been salted, even the dressing and bread! Sometimes, I think it's safer to eat at the little "mom and pop" restaurants that are around, it's more like home cooking.

It's pretty extreme, even with things that are supposed to be sweet, like cake icing... they're too sweet. And it's not like people don't know this - the bulk of the customers at my bakery always inquire about the icing ie. "Do you guys use that super-sweet stuff?" And yes, yes we do. (We're a grocery chain bakery.) People don't really like it, but they keep buying it because that's what we have. When I make cake icing at home, I make it much less sugary, and I mean, it's still sweet, it's icing, for crying out loud! It just doesn't need to be smack-you-in-the-face sweet to do the trick. (Ok, that was very rambly.)

I've always been a chocolate fiend, but I find myself ordering desserts such as "Lemon 3 Ways" in restaurants now just in the hopes of some tartness. A little sweet is still sweet.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I LOVE oversalted food but wings should really not be too sweet or they are ruined IMO. There is a place here called Thurman's and they are known for huge oversized burgers but also have HUGE wings that are yummy..especially the teriyaki ones!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I'm very conscious about high sodium (e.g. leading to high blood pressure, liver problems etc etc) so I use very very little salt when I cook. You'll get used to it and you'll actually taste what veggies and meats are meant to taste like.
    On the other hand, I often like my food sweet e.g. teriyaki, sweet n sour sauce, honey garlic sauce, honey mustard, ok I can go on and on.
    I love sweet stuff but too much can be just too much. Like some candy bars are so sweet that they literally make my teeth hurt.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Learn to cook.

A*O

^^^ Sing it sista!
    I read a very interesting article about a young woman aid worker in Africa who had hereditary hypertension (high blood pressure) and because she did not have regular access to her meds she basically cut out ALL the salt from her diet. Within a couple of months her BP had dropped dramatically to the point where she didn't need the meds anyway. It took a while for her tastebuds to adjust to having no salt, but now she can't bear to taste even a tiny amount. It's a bit like when you quit taking sugar in your tea/coffee. It's hell at first, but after a while you cannot stand it sweetened. I stopped taking milk in my tea/coffee too and now I gag if there is ANY milk/sugar in it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ That's like my dad. He only drinks black coffee, can't stand anything else. My mom is the total opposite, LOTS of cream and sugar. My mom and dad go out for breakfast every Sunday morning and always end up coming back with a cup of Starbucks. One Sunday the cups were sitting near each other on the counter and my dad accidentally grabbed my mom's coffee (since you can't see what's in a Starbucks cup). He sipped it and GAGGED. It was completely intolerable for him.

Well my blood pressure is usually about 110 or 105 over 65 or 70 so as long as it is ok(and I do cook) I will continue to LOVE my salt! yeah!

I hate it when every time my dad makes a vegetable, he has to drown it in butter, olive oil, or hollondaise. Same with anything, actually. His idea of cooking is tossing something with butter, olive oil, garlic, and onions, and whenever we eat out, he wants "French" with loads of butter, cream, etc. I wish people could just appreciate natural flavours. Of course anything tastes good if you put enough fat/sugar on it, but it takes a real talented chef, like those in the vegan/raw restaurants, to be creative with minimal/odd ingredients.

My blood pressure is rather low, in fact it has been repeatedly too low in the past few weeks, so I guess I should eat more salty food, but I don't like it. I rarely put salt in what I cook, I much prefer herbs/pepper/curry/massale to spice it up. When eating out I usually have to drink LOTS of water with my meal because I'm not used to having so much salt.
    As for sugar, I LOVE cakes and pastries and all kinds of sweet stuff, but I hate sugary drinks. I never have sodas, and there is nothing but coffee in my coffee, or I'll spit it out. Sweetened coffee is most unbearable

Quote Originally Posted by tofucheesecake
    His idea of cooking is tossing something with butter, olive oil, garlic, and onions, and whenever we eat out, he wants "French" with loads of butter, cream, etc.
    I konw what you mean!! My mom is French, and thank God my dad had too high bad cholesterol and my mom was gaining weight, or she never would have switched to healthier cooking. When I went to live on my own, the couple of meals a week I had at my parents' were almost painful.
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

A*O

I had an aged aunt who used to serve ALL her veggies boiled to death, like 30mins, and then covered in a yukky white sauce (butter/flour/milk, no flavouring/seasoning). And the Brits wonder why they have a reputation for being crap at cooking.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information