Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The No. 1 ethnic food in the U.S.A.--it's...

Default The No. 1 ethnic food in the U.S.A.--it's...

What do you feel like eating tonight? Chances are, the answer is Italian.

Italian food is the most popular ethnic food in the United States, but Mexican food is gaining rapidly with a 10 percent surge of adults naming it their favorite, according to data in the journal Food Technology, which is published by the Institute of Food Technologists.

Proof positive we like our ethnic food: There are more U.S. Chinese restaurants than McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King combined. While 75 percent of American adults eat dinner at home, only 33 percent are preparing it themselves. The majority are eating restaurant take-out, be it Chinese, Italian or another kind of food. In fact, more people are picking up food from a restaurant than are sitting down and dining in the restaurant.

In 2005, the average American ate 80 meals at restaurants, a drop of 18 percent from 1985. But over the same period, the selection of take-home meals rose 72 percent to 57 meals a year. And while restaurant take-out climbs in popularity, supermarket take-out is also a major player. Forty-two percent of adults are purchasing supermarket take-out each month--a 12 percent surge in the past two years.

Here are some other interesting food trends:

-Four of 10 restaurant-chain chefs think portion size will be a new major trend. More than 3 in 10 expect comfort foods, such as meatloaf, macaroni and cheese or pot roast, to be a driver.
    -No-fat and low-fat foods have slimmed to single-digit growth, but it's still a $32-billion segment--more than twice the size of the widely acclaimed organic foods category.
    -Coffee is the No. 1 consumed breakfast food. Fully 53 percent of Americans begin their day with a cup of java. Now quick service restaurants are bringing designer brands to their menus.
    -Vegetable consumption is falling by 2 percent, but fresh fruit is rebounding after 14 years in decline. Fresh fruit is the No. 1 snack of kids age 2 to 12.
    http://channels.netscape.com/homerea...ood/ethnicfood

I thought the answer would have been Chinese, instead of Italian!
    Go Habs Go!!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: The No. 1 Ethnic Food in the U.S.A.--It's...

I would've thought Mexican food to be most popular in the US.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Not surprised it's Italian. Apart from pizza, pasta is easy to make and eat, and it seems everybody likes it!

Silver Member

great - now I'm hungry!!!!!!!

Mexican food plays havoc with my internals, as I'm sure it does with a lot of people. Same with Indian.. tastes great, but I get total gut-rot.

I found a happy medium.. Ethiopian! It's spicy, tasty, varied and it's fun to eat! You get little piles of meats or veggies done up in different ways served on this weird spongy giant crepe deal.. you have to rip off a chunk of crepe, and then scoop up your filling of choice. It's really good and very filling.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Englands number 1 favourite meal is the Chicken Tikka Masala.

Silver Member

I went on a first date to an Ethiopian restaurant with a vegetarian once and we had tasty lentils, beans and whatever on a big platter to be scooped up with the naan type bread. What a disaster beginning 10 minutes after eating! I was not the best person to be around if you know what I mean! Hideous gastric turmoil

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Mexican food plays havoc with my internals, as I'm sure it does with a lot of people. Same with Indian.. tastes great, but I get total gut-rot.

I found a happy medium.. Ethiopian! It's spicy, tasty, varied and it's fun to eat! You get little piles of meats or veggies done up in different ways served on this weird spongy giant crepe deal.. you have to rip off a chunk of crepe, and then scoop up your filling of choice. It's really good and very filling.
    My best friend LOVEEEESSSS Ethiopian food, but I've never tried it. Frankly, I'm a little scared. I'll try it eventually, though.

^^It's really good. It takes a couple of tries to get used to the crepe thing, but once you do, it's easy and tasty.

Still like good Mexican better, tho.

How about some Thai, please?
    Keep passing the open windows.

I god, thai is orgasmic but its so plentiful in toronto that i just lump it in with chinese food which is very common
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't get to eat Thai very often, since the nearest Thai restaurant is like 40 minutes away, but I love it. I also love "fake, Americanized" Chinese food, and Mexican.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've never been to an Ethiopian restaurant. Is there one in Vancouver? What kind of food do they serve? Is it things like lamb and goats?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

There's a couple. There's one on West 4th, can't remember the name, and there is one on Commercial Drive, I think. The one of 4th is quite good. Not sure if the Drive one is still open.

Goat, lamb, rice dishes are the norm.

I like Ethiopian except when they slip "exotic" dishes like plops of canned creamed corn on the platter. This happened to me at the best reviewed Ethiopian place in town.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I've never been to an Ethiopian restaurant. Is there one in Vancouver? What kind of food do they serve? Is it things like lamb and goats?
    Most Ethiopian places offer some Italian influenced dishes as well, reflecting their colonial period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information