Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 worst foods in America, 2009

Exclamation 20 worst foods in America, 2009

20 Worst Foods in America, 2009 on Yahoo! Health

By David Zinczenko, with Matt Goulding - Posted on Mon, Jan 12, 2009, 12:58 am PST

Can an appetizer with the caloric equivalent of 13 Krispy Kreme doughnuts be justified? No. The 2,710-calorie Awesome Blossom has been purged from Chili's menu--maybe the fat-drenched appetizer couldn't withstand the scrutiny of being named to the Eat This, Not That! list of the Worst Foods in America last year. No matter the reason, we applaud this waist-expanding starter's retirement.
    The deep-fried onion wasn't the only thing to withdraw from last year's race--more than 10 other items from 2008's lineup have been removed from menus (or mysteriously had their calorie counts lowered). That's a step in the right direction, and it's good news for your waistline.
    The bad news? There are plenty of frightening foods still at large across the country. After another year of menu investigation, we’ve come up with this year's list of the most calorie-laden, fat-riddled, sodium-swaddled, sugar-spiked dishes in America. Eat at your own risk.

Worst "Healthy" Sandwich
    Blimpie Veggie Supreme (12")
    1,106 calories
    56 g fat (33 g saturated fat)
    2,831 mg sodium
    96 g carbohydrates

Sure, a Veggie Supreme sandwich sounds healthy, but this foot-long comes with three different kinds of cheese, and it’s drenched in oil. After Blimpie gets done with this vegetarian nightmare, you’d be better off consuming two Big Macs than sitting down with this sandwich.

Don't be fooled by "healthy" foods—replace these 14 imposters with delicious alternatives that satisfy without expanding your waistline.

Worst Kids' Meal
    Chili’s Pepper Pals Country-Fried Chicken Crispers with Ranch Dressing and Homestyle Fries
    1,110 calories
    82 g fat (15 g saturated)
    1,980 mg sodium
    56 g carbohydrates

Most kids, if given the choice, would live on chicken fingers for the duration of their adolescent lives. If those chicken fingers happened to come from Chili’s, it might be a shorter one. A moderately active 8-year-old boy should eat around 1,600 calories a day. This single meal plows through 75 percent of that allotment. So unless he plans to eat carrots and celery sticks for the rest of the day (and we know he doesn’t), find a healthier chicken alternative.

See our rankings of kids' restaurants so you can help your children pick the best options every time.

Worst Dessert
    Romano’s Macaroni Grill Dessert Ravioli
    1,630 calories
    74 g fat
    33 g saturated fat
    1,150 mg sodium
    223 g carbohydrates

Would you eat a Quarter Pounder for dessert? How about four? That’s how many it takes to match the calorie-load of this decadent dish. It’s the quickest way to ruin what may have been a sensible dinner. (Then again, if dinner was at Macaroni Grill, chances are it was anything but sensible.)

Worst Burger
    Chili’s Smokehouse Bacon Triple-The-Cheese Big Mouth Burger with Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
    2,040 calories
    150 g fat (53 g saturated)
    110 g protein
    4,900 mg sodium

You know this burger's in trouble when it takes more than 20 syllables just to identify it. If you think the name’s a mouthful, just wait until the burger hits the table. You’ll be face-to-face with two-and-a-half days' worth of fat—a full third of which is saturated. To do that much damage with roasted sirloin, you’d have to eat about eight 6-ounce steaks. (It’s nearly three days’ worth of saturated fat.)

Not all burgers are created equal. See if your favorite is a healthy indulgence or a grease slab on a bun.

Worst Starter
    Uno Chicago Grill Pizza Skins (full order)
    2,400 calories
    155 g fat (50 g saturated)
    3,600 mg sodium

This appetizer is like eating a Large Domino’s Hand-Tossed Sausage Pizza! Would you ever think of saying to a waiter: “Why don’t you start me off with a large meat pizza?” If you’re ordering for a party of more than five, it might be OK, but for smaller groups, it's tilting toward gluttony gone wild. Order the Thai Vegetable Pot Stickers instead—the only item carrying fewer than 800 calories.

If you want to eat a little something before your meal, be sure to avoid the worst appetizers in America.

The Worst Food of 2009
    Baskin Robbins Large Chocolate Oreo Shake
    2,600 calories
    135 g fat (59 g saturated fat, 2.5 g trans fats)
    263 g sugars
    1,700 mg sodium

We didn’t think anything could be worse than Baskin Robbins' 2008 bombshell, the Heath Bar Shake. After all, it had more sugar (266 grams) than 20 bowls of Froot Loops, more calories (2,310) than 11 actual Heath Bars, and more ingredients (73) than you’ll find in most chemist labs. Rather than coming to their senses and removing it from the menu, they did themselves one worse and introduced this caloric catastrophe. It’s soiled with more than a day’s worth of calories and three days worth of saturated fat, and, worst of all, usually takes less than 10 minutes to sip through a straw.

For the complete list of the 20 Worst Foods in America 2009, check out these rankings and the best options to eat instead of the gut bombs!

I can feel my arteries hardening just reading this. And they say that british food is shit?

A*O

Yes they are unhealthy but I'd be interested to see the size and weight of each portion. I'm betting each one would feed a family of 10.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Note to self: don't eat at Chili's. They have 2 on that list

^ tay, I went to Chili's over in Greenville, right before Halloween, and I made a promise to myself right then and there to NEVER go back.
    I went to the bathroom after dinner, and looked over in the kitchen area and there was food EVERY WHERE, all over the counters and the floor. The wait staff actually looked like they were skating on a layer of grease.

Gross! I made a promise to myself a long time ago to never go back to a Chili's just because I dont' think the food is good. I don't know what it is about that place, but I've always had an aversion to it.

And I moved out of that nightmare Greenville. My bf got a new job in Dallas, and I decided to finally finish my last semester of college. We didn't like it there at all. I would have actually rather have lived in little Washington.

American restaurants scare the bejesus out of me. You guys have no idea how really fucking awful your food is. What you guys think is ok is usually shit we wont eat up here.

Your food control and prep laws are really antiquated, and the quality is usually much much lower than Canada's.

*shudder*

That excludes McDonalds, cuz that's shit no matter where you go.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Chili's is horrible.. that onion blossom thing is evil. Even the 'diet' part of the menu, those Guiltless Grill meals, are packed full of sodium and aren't necessarily very low in calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    American restaurants scare the bejesus out of me. You guys have no idea how really fucking awful your food is. What you guys think is ok is usually shit we wont eat up here.

Your food control and prep laws are really antiquated, and the quality is usually much much lower than Canada's.

*shudder*

That excludes McDonalds, cuz that's shit no matter where you go.
    Is there anything that Canada isn't better that?

I thought that Awesome Blossom thing was from Outback?? Didn't they have one too that was just as bad?

Meh, who cares...its all terrible.

I think Outback had the Blooming Onion thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Is there anything that Canada isn't better that?

Donuts. We make shit donuts.

Also, according to American friends, we have much less selection at grocery stores. Apparently, having 2 or 3 varieties of aerosol cheese is just not enough.

*bleurk*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Krispy Kreme donuts are disgusting. The one and only time I ever tried one, it left a thick layer of lard on the roof of my mouth. Gaaaah!

1 or 2 Timbits and I'm good.

Portions at Chilis are huge.

Teh ebil!!!

On the website they've listed the nutrition for a 'medium' one. It's still 3/4 of your calorie intake for the day!!
    Serving Size 1 Serving (24 fl.oz.) Amount Per Serving Calories 1410 Calories from Fat 560 % Daily Value* Total Fat 62g 95% Saturated Fat 33g 165% Trans Fat 1.5g
    Cholesterol 145mg 48% Sodium 940mg 39% Total Carbohydrates 195g 65% Dietary Fiber 4g 16% Sugar 158g Protein 23g Vitamin A 35% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 60% Iron 35% Calories per gram: Fat 9 Carbohydrate 4 Protein 4 *Percent Daily Value based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be different depending on your calorie needs. Calorie:
    2,000 2,500 Total Fat Less than 65g 80g Saturated Fat Less than 20g 25g Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg Sodium Less than 2,400mg 2,400mg Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g Dietary Fiber 25g 30g
    brr.....
    .I bet it tastes frikkin awesome though. I'd probably manage an eggcupful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information