Thread: Will the skillet say it's nonstick?

Default Will the skillet say it's nonstick?

I'm going through my mom's pots and pans. She has a beautiful set of stainless steel cookery that's never been used, including a skillet I want to use for a fritata.

There's nothing on the plastic or on the skillet itself that indicates it's nonstick. Should I just assume it is since it's newer?

I'm using a fair amount of olive oil for my recipe. In the event the skillet is not nonstick, will the oil make it okay?

Or should I invest in one of those nonstick cooking sprays? Which one is best? I never used them before. Is there a residue of their flavor on the food?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Non stick means there's a slick teflon coating on it.

If it's just stainless steel, it's not non stick. Spray would be good.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Thank you!

GR gets me what I need to know pronto - again!
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Elite Member

You would want to heat the pan first to close the pores before putting the oil in, that also helps food not to stick.

I personally wouldn't trust the spray stuff to ensure food doesn't stick.

I assume the pan is silver (stainless) inside and not the black teflon?

If it's pure stainless, and the food does stick, just use a bit of baking soda or Bon Ami or Barkeeeper's friend and a wet paper towel and it should clean right up.

^
    I never knew that about closing the pores - thank you for that and the tip about clean up.

Yes, the pan is silver; nothing black. I really thought maybe there still could have been a coating on the silver lol.

You'll have to trust me that the frittata was awesome: spinach and potato with feta cheese; I put some parmesan on top and put that under the broiler at the very end. I bought PAM nonstick spray for the sides of the skillet and used the oil on the bottom from sauteing onions.

mmm, that looks & sounds great!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Thread Information