Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for some Christmas snacks?

Smile Ideas for some Christmas snacks?

Okay, so my mom, her boyfriend and I are going to my grandma's this Christmas. We're not gonna have a big dinner, but instead, have drinks and just snack.

My mom already has some ideas for what her and I are gonna make; glazed pecans, chocolate covered pretzels, pepperment bark, ect. Of course, some store bought things, too, like chips and salsa or whatever. But my grandma wants to make some things, too, yet has no idea what can be made. She claims to have no imagination on what snack foods to make, and can't really work around the kitchen a lot, anymore, because, well, she's old, and has arthritis.

Does anybody here have some tips on what to make, for a Christmas get together snack? It can be Christmas-y, or just a regular snack is fine, too. Like, ideas for something tasty, yet simple, is what I'm looking for, something that won't wear my grandma out a lot, when she's trying to cook.

were you thinking like hot appetizers or cold stuff?

and, are you thinking of something sweet or savory in flavor?
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Probably a little bit of both, but mostly cold. We're probably going to have a little bit of everything, sweet, spicy, savory, ect. The only picky eater at the get together will really only be me. So it'll be a variety of things.

hot artichoke dip or spinach dip always go over well. Neither are hard or time consuming to make.

If you like it, hummus dip with pita chips is a good snack. You can also include carrots, celery sticks and olives.

ETA: There are some fairly easy recipes for hummus or you can find some excellent dips at the store.
    Last edited by Belinda; December 20th, 2008 at 12:20 PM.

i second the hot artichoke-spinach dip. yum!

some other suggestions...

*mini pizzas on baguette slices
    *stuffed mushrooms
    *bruschetta
    *salami/cheese/nut/olive plate...always a big hit for us
    *grilled shrimp scampi skewers
    *fondue (cheese or chocolate)
    *meatballs
    *baked brie
    *crab quesadillas
    *antipasto platter

i can help you with recipes/instructions for any of those, if you're interested.

The Original Chex® Party Mix

3cups Corn Chex® cereal3cups Rice Chex® cereal3cups Wheat Chex® cereal1cup mixed nuts1cup bite-size pretzels1cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces6tablespoons butter or margarine2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce1 1/2teaspoons seasoned salt3/4teaspoon garlic powder1/2teaspoon onion powder
    Did You Know?The original recipe includes Corn Chex®, Rice Chex® and Wheat Chex®. You can mix and match to suit your taste—just use a total of 9 cups of cereal.Health FocusTo reduce the fat to 2 grams and the calories to 80 per serving, use 3 tablespoons margarine instead of the 6 tablespoons butter, omit mixed nuts and use fat-free bagel chips.Special TouchMake enough of this favorite mix to package up as gifts for special friends—it’s so good and always a welcome surprise! Need clever gift wrapping ideas for this 15-minute recipe? Check out Mix & Mingle with Chex® Party Mix.
    1.In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.2.Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.Oven Directions Heat oven to 250°F. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.

This is easy & extra can make great gifts!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm liking these ideas, so far, guys! I had to look up what bruschetta was, though. I like these, keep 'em comin'!

Nachos!

Mmmm, nachos *Homer Simpson drool*

Hit By Ban Bus!

Mince pies!!!

I know I'm seeing this a bit late, but maybe some people still have get togethers for New Year's. My SIL brought a really tasty and simple snack to our Christmas.

Take flour tortillas, spread cream cheese, craisins, and thinly sliced green onions on them. Roll them up, then slice into individual wheels. Unbelievably good and sooooo easy. They look Christmasy too, with the green, white and red.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

spicy chicken

Gold Member

My fave thing for Christmas Eve is going to my grandmas. We serve little snacks, cheese trays, cookies, but she makes these homemade meatballs every year. This year she made her sweet and sour ones and tried a new bbq one. There was sub buns if you wanted to make a sandwhich. My mouth waters just thinking about them.

And this may sound weird, but my sister brought a cheese tray with honey to dip. It's a really good combo.

so, what did you make, nicole?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information