Thread: EMERGENCY turkey cooking question!!!!

Default EMERGENCY turkey cooking question!!!!

Today I am roasting two turkey breasts, 8 pounds each. When I roast them, should I add their weights together and roast for as long as I would a 16 pound piece of meat (4-5 hours), or since they're two separate pieces of meat, roast for as long as I would an 8 pound piece of meat (2-3 hours)?

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Hmm...that's a good question. Coming from my experience with sticking stuff in the oven together, I'm guessing it'll take more than 2-3, but probably not 4-5. (I'm guessing 3.5-4) Do you have a meat thermometer?

When the skin is brown and the thermometer reads 190 degrees (the number on my thermometer for poultry) then they're done.

If you live near a large grocery store (or Wal-Mart?) that is open today you might could find a thermometer. At the Schnucks down the street from me they sell them in the baking goods section.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Use the meat thermometer!!!!! And with 2,you will need longer than just one. If you get confused,check the Martha Stewart webite for best places to stick it,etc.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oven thermometers are unreliable so I always roast to temperature.

If you have a meat thermometer roast to 165 degrees. The thermometer should go in the thickest part.

The temp will spike when you take them out of the oven and let them rest.

An instant read thermometer is a great investment

Thanks everyone! I do have a meat thermometer, and am roasting it in a countertop plug-in style roaster. We're eating at 1 pm so that's why I needed to know how long. I don't want everyone sitting around waiting for an hour and I don't want it way overdone. I like to time everything so it all comes out at the same time.

Happy turkey day!

butterball has an 800 number for questions just like that! maybe call them? they are open today!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Cook them about halfway between the two times. THey don't need to cook as long as one 16 lb turkey but two in the oven at the same time does require a little extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    When the skin is brown and the thermometer reads 190 degrees (the number on my thermometer for poultry) then they're done.
    Please please please please please please get a new thermometer - 190 is way overdone for turkey (and everything else). Turkey should come out at about 165 and rest for a minimum 15-20 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Please please please please please please get a new thermometer - 190 is way overdone for turkey (and everything else). Turkey should come out at about 165 and rest for a minimum 15-20 mins.
    This is what Martha Stewart says,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well - it all turned out great! Everyone said it was the best turkey yet. LOL! And we ate right on time.

Thanks for your help!

So glad to hear it worked out! I always get nervous when I cook for people, especially meat.

Actually, if I can hijack your thread for moment, what about cakes. Say if I have a cake mixture and only want to cook half at a time, do I halve the time? I'm not very good with cakes so I'm still learning.

I think anytime you cook anything you cook to instructions as if you were cooking 1 (turkey or cakes) and check for doneness every 5 mins (for cakes) - to 15 mins (for turkey) at the end of the cooking time. It will take longer for 2, but better to check check check than serve hockey pucks (either cakes or turkey)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Sadly, it doesn't take much effort for me to make hockey pucks with cakes Even the packet cakes which I follow to the letter. I'm good with main meals but desserts are a struggle for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Thanks for that info! The last couple of turkeys I've had came with the little red button that pops up when done, but if I ever ended up with one that didn't, I might have whipped out that thermometer. Unless the directions on the casing gave a temp.

I have used that same thermometer when cooking chicken on the grill that turned out great. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Well - it all turned out great! Everyone said it was the best turkey yet. LOL! And we ate right on time.

Thanks for your help!
    Yay! Glad it was good. The precooked that my MIL ordered from the grocery turned out ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    An instant read thermometer is a great investment
    I sooo want one of those.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Thread Information