Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The top 6 Thanksgiving foods we love to hate

Default The top 6 Thanksgiving foods we love to hate

The Top 6 Thanksgiving Foods We Love to Hate - Ed Levine Eats on Yahoo! Food

Thanksgiving is a fascinating holiday. We run around combining canned things with boxed things with jarred things. For us at Serious Eats, the meal is arguably the tastiest of the year, but some familiar ingredients are undoubtedly strange. A good strange, a strange we love to hate, but strange nonetheless. It's this gastronomic sketchiness that unites us as American eaters each November.
    Serious Eats' Erin Zimmer has defined why these are our top six...

1. Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup: A man in a suit must have said, "How can we sell more boxed onion strings?" And so the dependence on canned cream of mushroom soup was born. The familiar murky-colored sludge contains a mushroom fleck or two, but might consider a name change: Cream of Really Creamy soup. What's exactly in there? Dare we suggest a replacement in green bean casserole? Oh, how the onion strings would throw a fit! And let's be honest, dinner guests might too. (Well done, boxed onion string moguls. We are hooked.)
    Alternative: Anthony Bourdain's mushroom soup

2. Gyrating Cranberry Sauce: The wiggly, jiggly "sauce" should really be classified as a goo. Spaghetti sauce is a sauce; barbecue sauce is a sauce. Cranberry goo is fun to poke and an ideal invite to a dance party, but not a sauce. Like a memory foam pillow, it always returns to the same posture.
    Alternative: Cranberry sauce with champagne and currants

3. Giblets: Aren't the giblets sealed in a body cavity bag for a reason? While foie gras, offal, and other animal innards have been glamorized, poor giblets (soft "g" sound, pronounced jib-lets) have remained socially ostracized and feared. Chop them into mini chunks for a Thanksgiving stuffing, though, and maybe nobody will notice!
    Alternative: Cornbread dressing with pecans and bacon

4. Pearl Onions: Pearl onions are funny. Do they come from factories or trees? If the latter, how are they perfectly pearl-shaped each time? They rarely exist outside of casseroles and creepy white sauces, which can't be good.
    Alternative: Other onions

5. Marshmallows: Campfires would be so pointless without the fluffy, cloud-like cubes, but they are not as harmless as they look. They contain bones. Okay, traces of bones. Gelatin, an ingredient in most commercially manufactured marshmallows, comes from animal hides or bones. So Aunt Esther's sweet potatoes might contain traces of skeletal systems.
    Alternative: Sweet potatoes without marshmallows

6. Turkey: Yup, I said it. Historians can't even prove that pilgrims ate the darn bird. Do you eat it on your birthday, wedding day, or other celebratory times? Nope. As beloved writer Calvin Trillin once suggested, why not spaghetti carbonara? The homage to Christopher Columbus—and his big Italian eyes that discovered America—is just as iconic of the American frontier. Not to mention, less dry, less flavorless, and less lame. If you must have turkey, at least deep-fry it. Or, let's just quit the act and have fried chicken.
    Alternative: Fried chicken

oh man i remember that disgusting canned cranberry when i was growing up. i can remember my mom opening it, and i would watch it shimmy out of the can <shiver>
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

using nasty canned soup to make food is one of those american things i just don't understand. it's nasty.
    i had a flatmate that would make everything with it, or use onion soup mix instead of real onions. i'd ask her why she didn't just chop up an onion? it would taste better and not be as full of salt and chemicals but she could never give me an answer.

that canned cranberry sauce is nasty. just buy fresh and make your own.

and sweet potatoes and marshmallows are another thing i never could get into. i love both these things separately, but together they're just a sweet, mushy mess.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    using nasty canned soup to make food is one of those american things i just don't understand. it's nasty.
    i had a flatmate that would make everything with it, or use onion soup mix instead of real onions. i'd ask her why she didn't just chop up an onion? it would taste better and not be as full of salt and chemicals but she could never give me an answer.
    All canned foods are disgusting, but canned soup is especially vile. How hard is it to make some soup from scratch?

Actually, the one thing grosser than canned soup is canned pasta (I kid you not, it exists!). My Uni flatmate used to eat this really suspect canned tomato sauce pasta....because boiling some damned spaghetti and whipping up a plain tomato sauce is such a culinary chore!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Canned cranberry sauce is going to make an appearance on my mother's holiday table - guaranteed.

^ My mom always puts it out, too.
    I would really love a good homemade recipe, so I don't have to open that shit up anymore. Just looking at it makes me lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    words. to. live. by.

no joke. i hate that kind of cooking...using canned/packaged chemical crap in dishes, instead of real ingredients. sput's right...it's just NASTY!

oh, and the canned cranberry sauce skeeves me out...the way it jiggles out of the can. and, i'm supposed to put that in my body? ummm, no. just no.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Relish, cranberry jello mold, all that shit. Its wrong.

Elite Member

My mother in law insisted on making jellied salads, and they had mini marshmallows in them. I had never seen such a thing in my life - I didn't even taste them to be polite. Cole slaw and mini marshmallows? What satanic cook invented that?

I like the jellied cranberry sauce.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

You know what you should do to make your cream of mushroom soup better in a casserole?

Put the cream of mushroom soup in a big bowl, add two tablespoons of sour cream and a pinch of salt, stir and then use with your casserole.

Just something I learned from my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Me too.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ My mom always puts it out, too.
    I would really love a good homemade recipe, so I don't have to open that shit up anymore. Just looking at it makes me lose it.
    From Martha Stewart

Quick Cranberry Sauce

Send Me a Free
    Preview Issue Now!

Prep: 5 minutes
    Total: 55 minutes

Ingredients

Serves 8
    • 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen cranberries
    • 1 jar (12 ounces) red-currant jelly
    Directions
    1. In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries and jelly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have burst and liquid has reduced to a syrup, 20 to 30 minutes.
    2. Transfer to a serving dish, and let cool. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve, up to 3 days.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Me too! I actually eat it mixed into my stuffing with rolls.

yeah my mother never made ANYTHING from a can.. she would get the cranberries, soak em for half a day, boil em, throw in the sugar and cloves.. tasted great.

The mashed potatoes would have a bunch of garlic and cream cheese in them, extra thick.. so rich, wodnerful. The gravy would he made from the turkey goo left over, the bread was freshbaked.. the stuffing was also homemade, big chunks of apple in it, TONS of herbs...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information