Thread: The box of chocolates that's 106 years old

Default The box of chocolates that's 106 years old

Knobbly and discoloured, these chocolates have seen better days.

But what they no doubt lack in taste, they more than make up for in historic value.
    The misshapen sweets date back 106 years, making them contenders for the title of oldest chocolates in the world.

Enlarge
    Tempting? The chocolates date back 106 years

Hailing from Scottish town St Andrews, they were made especially to mark the Coronation of King Edward VII - the successor to Queen Victoria - and come in a decorated tin announcing Coronation Day on June 26, 1902.
    And they have lasted considerably longer than the king's reign, which ended with his death in 1910.
    Alongside the chocolates is an old newspaper cutting dating back to their 50th anniversary.

Historic: The sweets were produced to mark the Coronation of King Edward VII

It explains that the sweets were presented to schoolgirl Martha Greig in August, 1902.
    She mustered up the willpower to avoid eating the chocolates, instead keeping them as a souvenir.
    When she grew up, she handed the box down to one of her children, who in turn gave it to her own daughter, Freida McIntosh.

Ms McIntosh also resisted temptation and has now passed the confectionery into the safe hands of the St Andrews Preservation Trust, which aims to maintain the character and history of the town.

Enlarge
    A photo shows Freida McIntosh and her sister Jean Henderson in 1946 with their grandmother Martha MacDonald who, as schoolgirl Martha Greig, first owned the chocolates

Good enough to eat? The box of chocolates that's 106 years old | Mail Online

Very interesting, I bet they could sell them on ebay for quite some money. Maybe I should hide some chocolate as well, so that someone can find it in 100 years as well.
    If I did have a tumor, I'd name it Marla. - Fight Club

Yes, museums could sell their stuff on ebay but why?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i bet they're pretty nasty considering they didn't use major preservatives back then but thats so cool, i think its priceless, i couldnt put a number on the value of history like that

Thread Information