Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 10 most disappointing treats for trick-or-treaters

Default The 10 most disappointing treats for trick-or-treaters

(Some things never change, stuff on this list were disappointing to me when I was a kid trick or treatin'!)

The 10 Most Disappointing Treats for Trick-or-Treaters - Ed Levine Eats on Yahoo! Food

On Halloween night, some houses struggle with the idea of candy. There are good houses, and there are bad houses. The best trick-or-treaters know to avoid the latter. At the food site Serious Eats, we all love Halloween, but wish certain homes would just stop handing out the classically bad "treats." They weren't good last year, the year before that, or now. Our own Erin Zimmer put together this list of our top 10 Halloween treats that nobody wants...
    Toothbrushes

Dentists and orthodontists should not be allowed to celebrate Halloween if they're going to get all tooth doctory on us. Do not bring your work home with you, folks! We all have a personal responsibility to brush, and maybe some of us will forget, but your complimentary bristles on a stick (instead of a Snickers) will not help us remember. It will make us despise you and your trade.
    Raisins

Little boxes of stuck-together shriveled globs are not what little kids schlep around the neighborhood for all night. When they say trick-or-treat, they want candy that will rot their teeth, not wrinkled grapes. (Using an empty box as a kazoo-like instrument, though, is kinda fun.)
    Candy Corn

The most polarizing candy of all. The fruitcake of Halloween; it just never goes away. If you love them, fine. But don't subject the rest of us haters to the sickeningly sweet triangle that tastes like neither candy nor corn.

Smarties and Necco Wafers

These chalky candies are supposedly "fruit-flavored," but no fruit I know tastes like dust -- and makes everything eaten after taste like dust, too.
    Dum Dum Lollipops

Usually, foods on a stick are yummy (corn dogs, ice pops), but Dum Dums just can't be included on that list. Not even if they were breaded and deep-fried and served at a fair.
    Apples

Long before "poisoned candy" scares, evil people were handing out apples instead of candy on Halloween. This disappointing "treat" is the main reason to avoid unwrapped food while trick-or-treating.
    Tootsie Rolls

It looks like chocolate and sort of smells like chocolate, but the mini brown tubes are not real chocolate. They taste like watered-down chocolate, and have a chewy texture that will strip the fillings right off your molars.
    Miscellaneous, Wrapped Hard Candies

Halloween is supposed to be a holiday for young people, not senior citizens who suck on hard candies all day. Something about the strawberry-shaped strawberries, gold-wrapped butterscotch, and peppermint feels past the expiration date. (These usually get set aside for Granny.)
    Laffy Taffy

I do not laffy when I get these. I sobby. I get depressedy. Because it gets all stucky to my teethy and doesn't even taste that goody.
    Anything Fun-Sized

Who started calling it this? Since when is one bite fun?! Give us the rich houses with the sprawling driveways and full-sized candy bars any day. Portion control doesn't need to start this young.

What-the-fuck-ever to the Candy Corn and fun-size candy bars - LOVE 'em!!! Candy Corn and Marshmallow Pumpkins may give me diabetes before next week.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

LOL. The fruitcake of Halloween!!

I always steal Rockets from my nieces and nephews, but they never seem to care. They are like Z-list candies to most kids.

^^Americans call them smarties. I loved getting them on Halloween too. Getting apples and baked goods was always a let down since my mother confiscated those without thought.

i love Necco's and laffy taffy!!!!!!!!!!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Love the candy corn, love the mini chocolates. Yeah, the parents that give out the mini raisin boxes....douches!

I love candy corn, and those strawberry-shaped strawberries...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Fun-sized chocolate bars are the norm and usually the best thing we would get, not a disappointment. Getting a full-sized chocolate bar was hitting the jackpot.

I never got a toothbrush That would not not have gone over well. I got a cucumber once, but I didn't mind.

Tootsie Rolls

They taste like watered-down chocolate, and have a chewy texture that will strip the fillings right off your molars.

I like the taste of tootsie rolls well enough, but I don't eat them because I do fear for my fillings every time

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    LOL. The fruitcake of Halloween!!

I always steal Rockets from my nieces and nephews, but they never seem to care. They are like Z-list candies to most kids.

That and these:

were always biggest disappointments for us. The 'tingles' usually got eaten, the suckers usually sat in the bottom of the bag until they started to change consistency and then I threw them away.

Thanks for the article, celeb_2006. Reminds me of good times I even have fond memories of the disappointments now.

I can't find a picture, but those peanut chewy candies in the orange and black wax paper...

and pennies... WTF?

^ Mary Janes?

My mom always handed out the big Crunch bars.

Yes, but they weren't the Necco Mary Jane brand, they were the cheaper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    I can't find a picture, but those peanut chewy candies in the orange and black wax paper...

and pennies... WTF?
    Yuck, those were terrible. When I was a kid, we fed them to the dog.

I don't mind dum dums at all, or bite size candy bars. What's this guy's problem.

I love candy corn
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

The worst ever----

Circus Peanuts!!!!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I love Tootsie Rolls, Dum Dums and I love Laffy Taffy!! I've already raided the stash here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information