Thread: America's worst breakfast foods

Default America's worst breakfast foods

America's Worst Breakfast Foods on Yahoo! Health

It’s hard to overestimate the importance of eating breakfast. Studies show that people who take time for a morning meal consume fewer calories over the course of the day, have stronger cognitive skills, and are 30 percent less likely to be overweight or obese. Beyond that, people who skip breakfast are more likely to drink alcohol and smoke, and they’re less likely to exercise.

But just because breakfast is the most important meal of the day doesn’t grant you permission to go into a feeding frenzy. But that’s exactly what many of the country’s most popular breakfast joints are setting you up for, by peddling fatty scrambles, misguided muffins, and pancakes that look like manhole covers.
    These foods are loaded with unhealthy fats, added sugars, and refined carbohydrates, which catapult your blood sugar, sap your energy levels, and tell your body to store fat.

To help you avoid the morning mishaps, we searched out the good, the bad, and the greasy, and uncovered some of the worst breakfast foods in America. We’ve presented a sampling of the worst offenders below. It’s like a lineup down at the local police station, except in this case, they’re all guilty as charged.

Worst Side Dish
    Burger King Hash Browns (large)
    620 calories
    40 g fat (11 g saturated; 13 g trans)
    1,200 mg sodium
    60 g carbs

Yes, you’re ingesting more than a meal’s worth of calories from a side dish, but the real cause for concern here is that these little potato cakes pack seven times more trans fats than you’re supposed to eat all day! Until BK learns to cut out the partially hydrogenated oils, avoid encounters with potatoes of any kind at that fatty food joint.

Eat This Instead!
    Burger King Egg & Cheese Croissan’wich
    300 calories
    17 g fat (6 g saturated; 2 g trans)
    740 mg sodium
    26 g carbs

Worst Breakfast Sandwich
    Hardee’s Monster Biscuit
    710 calories
    51 g fat (17 g saturated)
    2,250 mg sodium
    37 g carbohydrates

When they say “Monster,” they mean it. This 700-calorie behemoth should be enough to scare anyone: It contains nearly a full day’s worth of sodium and saturated fat. Instead try the Sunrise Croissant with Bacon. It’s not exactly diet-friendly, but if you’re stuck at Hardee’s, it’s a way to escape without too much damage.

Eat This Instead!
    Hardee’s Sunrise Croissant with Bacon
    450 calories
    29 g fat (12 g saturated)
    900 mg sodium
    28 g carbs

Worst Kids Meal
    Denny’s Big Dipper French Toastix with margarine and syrup
    770 calories
    71 g fat (13 g saturated)
    107 g carbs

As important as it is for mom and dad to eat a good breakfast each morning, it’s even more critical that their kids do. After all, breakfast affects their energy levels, metabolism, and performance in school. Better think twice before feeding them these dubious little sticks. For more healthy kids’ choices, check out Eat This, Not That! for Kids.
    Eat This Instead!
    Kid’s D-Zone Smiley Alien Hotcakes
    340 calories
    12 g fat (5 g saturated)
    49 g carbs

Worst Pastry
    Cinnabon Classic Cinnamon Roll
    813 calories
    32 g fat (5 g trans fat)
    117 g carbs

You wouldn’t start your day with three brownies, would you? As far as your body knows, that’s exactly what you’ll be doing if you wake up with this cinnamon-swirled disaster area. In fact, because Cinnabon offers no healthy alternatives, you’ll have to invite friends (or enemies?) to share the risky roll, or steer clear of Cinnabon altogether.

Worst Smoothie
    Smoothie King Grape Expectations II (40 oz.)
    1,102 calories
    256 g sugars
    740 mg sodium

Why Smoothie King would even offer a 40 oz. serving size is beyond us. With more than half the calories you need in a day and the sugar equivalent of 12 Haagen Dasz ice cream bars, this “drink” should be renamed "diabetes in a glass." Just goes to show you the importance of drinking responsibly.

Drink This Instead!
    Smoothie King Low Carb Strawberry Smoothie (20 oz.)
    268 calories
    3 g sugars
    176 mg sodium

Worst Combo Meal
    McDonald’s Deluxe Breakfast
    1,360 calories
    64 g fat (22 g saturated)
    2,325 mg sodium
    160 g carbs
    49 g sugars

With four vehicles for refined carbohydrates (biscuit, hash browns, hotcakes, syrup), this “deluxe” disaster will send your blood sugar soaring. Why blow nearly an entire day’s calories under the arches, when a perfectly satisfying Egg McMuffin will save you more than 1,000 calories?

Eat This Instead!
    McDonald’s Egg McMuffin with coffee
    310 calories
    12 g fat (5 g saturated)
    820 mg sodium
    30 g carbs
    3 g sugars

Worst Omelet
    IHOP Big Steak Omelet
    1,490 calories
    (No additional nutrition information available)

IHOP doesn’t provide nutritional information aside from calorie counts, but with a boatload of steak, a bucket of cheese, and handfuls of hash browns, this omelet’s fat and sodium numbers are surely just as appalling.

Eat This Instead!
    IHOP For Me Garden Scramble
    440 calories

The Worst Breakfast in America
    Bob Evans Stacked and Stuffed Caramel Banana Pecan Hotcakes
    1,543 calories
    77 g fat (26 g saturated; 9 g trans)
    2,259 mg sodium
    198 g carbs
    109 g sugars

It’s not a good sign when it takes you nearly five seconds to spit out the name of your breakfast. This bad boy packs in more than 75 percent of your calories for the day, along with more sugar and fat than nine glazed Dunkin’ Donuts, and nearly as much sodium as five Bloody Marys.

Eat This Instead!
    3 Scrambled Egg Beaters with 2 slices of bacon and fresh fruit
    314 calories
    19.5 g fat (5 g saturated)
    700 mg sodium
    21 g carbs
    18 g sugars

All of that crap is nasty!!! Don't choose the lesser evil! Hint: Don't eat breakfast from a fast food joint! You're better off not eating breakfast at all.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Gold Member

I usually eat an apple or a granola bar for breakfast or, if I'm really hungry, a bowl of cereal with skim milk. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning.

I do like those Chick Fil A chicken minis though. Oh my god, salty chickeny yeasty honey GOODNESS. I think they put crack in them. I could probably eat 50 of them easy, which is why I never ever EVER go to Chick Fil A. The only time I ever have them is when they have them at the office maybe once a month and even then I restrict myself to 4. It's very difficult.

They put crack in them. I'm certain of it.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Whatever happened to a boiled egg and some wholegrain toast? Jebus...people can't be clueless as to how rotten this stuff is for you.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

ye gads! I feel postively monk-like now, occasionally I'll 'treat' myself to some yoghurt coated raisins on my bran flakes! How could anyone even consider eating that shit? Ugh.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Whatever happened to a boiled egg and some wholegrain toast? Jebus...people can't be clueless as to how rotten this stuff is for you.
    They know it's not good for them, but I don't think they realize how bad it is for them. When I looked up the calorie/fat content of some of my favorite restaurant dishes, I was shocked. I thought my favorite dish at Macaroni Grill might have 800-1000 calories. Not even close. It had 1400 calories. I have not ordered it since finding out.

My favorite taco at Rosa's (a chain in the southwest) has 330 calories. That's just one taco. I usually had 2-3 of them when I go to Rosa's. Not anymore! I thought maybe it would have 200-250 calories. I was off by quite a bit.

I think restaurants should be required to print the nutritional content of all of their dishes on the menu and on the packaging for to-go or fast food. Finding out what was really in the food was enough to make me stop eating many things.

I love scrambled eggs,grits,bacon and a buttermilk buscuit. So good! I cannot stand sweet stuff for breakfast. Ordinary days, soy milk and Total.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    This is the most delicious breakfast I know of; with lots of butter on the bread and then a soft boiled egg and coffee, so delicious. Or poached eggs, not boiled.

I never knew how to poach eggs before this tutorial, now I've been having poached eggs every morning.
    how to poach an egg, smitten kitchen-style | smitten kitchen

Those lists about unhealthy food are very fascinating, I always stop to read them through.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I do like those Chick Fil A chicken minis though. Oh my god, salty chickeny yeasty honey GOODNESS. I think they put crack in them. I could probably eat 50 of them easy, which is why I never ever EVER go to Chick Fil A. The only time I ever have them is when they have them at the office maybe once a month and even then I restrict myself to 4. It's very difficult.

They put crack in them. I'm certain of it.
    I eat Honey nut cheerios and a banana in the morning. Just thinking about how much I'd have to work out to burn it off makes me think twice about eating junk.

tee-ha-ha I agree, I don't eat fast food anymore but Chick FilA was addictive... I don't know what they do to those sandwiches but they are good.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    tee-ha-ha I agree, I don't eat fast food anymore but Chick FilA was addictive... I don't know what they do to those sandwiches but they are good.
    I rarely eat fast food these days either but sometimes I get a hankering for a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's or that popcorn chicken from Sonic.

Those mini chicken sandwiches from Chick Fil A are satanically addictive, oh god....want some NOW.

Shit, most of this garbage has more fat than I eat in 3 or 4 days! I know at least 2 people that eat fast food junk like this daily and it's not even their only fast food meal of the day - just the first.

I usually stick to a cereal bar in the morning because I eat it at work and it's easy - when I have some time, I eat cold cereal and milk. On rare days I'll have scrambled eggs and cheese and a side of grits, and I usually feel like a small piglet afterwards - I feel better about it after reading this fatfest.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

None of this is terribly surprising.. CalorieKing.com scared me straight.. although those BK hash browns are little discs of deliciousness... fried in oil and salted with a day's worth of sodium.. but delicious nonetheless. Damn them.

Thread Information