Thread: Balsamic Vinegar

Default Balsamic Vinegar

I got two years ago a bottle of balsamic vinegar in a gift basket. I have never opened it.
    Question one: is it still good?
    QUestion two: what the heck am I gonna use it in?
    Question three: its sort of liquidy, I thought it was suppose to be somewhat thick like maple syrup.

PS I was cleaning out my pantry and cabinets, I dont know what has gotten into me a couple of hours ago I was in no mood to do anything but sit at my desk and be on here. OH well

Elite Member

Default Re: Balsamic Vinegar

I'm no help as to whether it is still good or not (sorry) but the restaurant Friday's drizzles it over crunchy garlic bread with pasta. It's my favorite dish there just because of that vinegar (if I'm thinking of the right thing) So I'd suggest maybe using it as you would olive oil to dip stiff breads in?

Silver Member

LOL...no it is the same a white distilled vinegar in that it is liquid like water. It should be good given that it wasn't opened. Just check for the mother content in it...see if it is cloudy or has clumps in it like egg whites (the mother). It can't make you sick as it is fermented, but if it is cloudy I'd dump it.

We put it on cooked cauliflower, in salads with or without oil. Use it with oil as a dip for breads, on rice, etc...anything you might put regular vinegar on or want something with a little "punch."

Bronze Member

Mu husband loves it drizzled on his french fries. I guess this is how they serve it in England as well (fish and chips). I tried it - tasty! Otherwise, mix with good quality olive oil for great dressing on salads, in place of plain vinegar.
    Put a little olive oil on a dish/saucer - add fresh cracked pepper and some grated parmesean cheese. To this, drizzle the balsamic vinegar. Then dunk french bread, etc.. Really good.
    By the way, it should still be fresh after two years, if no opened. I've had good quality balsamic that was unopened for at least that long - like good wine!

Red balsamic vinegar is something I always have in the cupboard, even when I dont have the plain, white vinegar. Its gorgeous! I love to add it to vegetables cooked in the pan along with sugar and olive oil, it makes an awesome, thick, sweet and sour sauce.

and also great in cous cous salads! Like cous cous with grilled vegetables.

Rice is where I like balsamic vinegar best...a sort of rice-salad with raw tomatoes...it's so delicious!

SVZ

never heard of that...but i may have to try it!

Balsamic vinegar is the best. It is my favorite for making salad dressings.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Quote Originally Posted by phishtickie
    and also great in cous cous salads! Like cous cous with grilled vegetables.
    I'll have to try it with cous cous. I could eat cous cous everyday. Im so excited I have to try it tonight for dinner. Thanks everyone

Oh I love it too! Its so fast and simple. Another good alternative and very similar is bulgur, although it takes a little longer to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    yummy,I love balsamic vinegar.I always use it with olive oil for tossed salads.it is also excellent with chicken cutlet salad-I cut up chicken cutlet,tomato,cucumbers and red onion and mix with balsamic and olive oil.so good!
    this sounds delish! i love this section of the website so much because of all the fantastic ideas for easy dishes.

mmm i love red balsamic vinegar. in salads, with steamed veggies, and i always add a tablespoon to the pot en i make squash soup. another thing i love is beef in balsamic marinade.
    take some modena balsamic vinegar (the older the better, and if you got it in a gift basket it should be fairly good stuff... if it says 'tradizionale' save it for a special occasion: the 10 year and older stuff starts at about 50 bucks for a tiny bottle!), red wine, shallots, salt, pepper, some herbs (rosemary, bay leaf or thyme, etc), purée the mix if you want. marinate the steaks in that for about an hour and then heat some olive oil and butter in a pan (or better yet one of those special ones for meat) and then cook the steaks.
    or you can take that same mixture and instead of using it as marinade, make a reduction by putting it in a saucepan and cooking till it's reduced by half. cook the steaks in olive oil and butter and pour the balsamic sauce over the meat once it's served.
    yummy with mashed potatoes and a nice rocket salad.

Thread Information