Thread: McDonald's Dollar Menu cutback planned

Default McDonald's Dollar Menu cutback planned

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1217...?mod=yhoofront

Oak Brook, Ill. -- McDonald's Corp. is testing modifications to its popular $1 double cheeseburger, and higher prices for the sandwich, as it prepares to change its Dollar Menu by next year.
    In an interview, Don Thompson, president of McDonald's U.S. business, said the company has tested ways to make the burger less expensive to make. Some restaurants are selling it with one slice of cheese instead of two, and billing it as a "double hamburger with cheese." Others are offering a double hamburger without cheese. Some are selling the traditional double cheeseburger at prices ranging from $1.09 to $1.19.
    The company is also considering expanding what it considers the middle tier of its menu, items ranging from about $1.30 to $2. "We know customers are facing tough times in this economy," Mr. Thompson said.
    Launched in 2003, the Dollar Menu has been a key driver of sales at McDonald's 14,000 U.S. restaurants and has helped it ride out dips in consumer spending. But recently, franchisees have complained that the menu has brought too much unprofitable traffic into their restaurants.
    The biggest question for the eight-item menu is what to do with the double cheeseburger, considered its anchor. High dairy prices have pushed up the cost of cheese, and McDonald's predicts more pressure because its beef costs will be higher this year. Mr. Thompson said if McDonald's moves the double cheeseburger off that menu, there would still be some type of $1 burger.
    Internal sales documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show that, as of late June, sales of the chain's lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso drinks were off their peak in several main markets where they're being sold. Mr. Thompson said "the numbers really don't tell the story."
    Lower-priced beverages, including $1.89 iced coffee and a $1 fountain-drink and sweet-tea promotion, have pulled some sales away from the espresso drinks, which range from about $2 to $3. That was something the company hadn't anticipated, he said.
    McDonald's overall beverage expansion, adding espresso drinks, smoothies, cold tea, bottled drinks and ice-blended coffee beverages at U.S. locations, is on track to exceed the company's goal of adding $125,000 a year in sales per restaurant, even though it doesn't yet have national advertising behind it, Mr. Thompson said. He sees McDonald's target of the drinks adding $1 billion a year to the company's sales as "definitely achievable." The rollout will be complete at the end of 2009.

I don't know about anyone else, but if i do go fast food, I only go off the dollar menu. Paying $4 for a fast food hamburger is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but if i do go fast food, I only go off the dollar menu. Paying $4 for a fast food hamburger is ridiculous.
    That's why I get the Happy Meal! Just the right size.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

McDonald's dollar menu already sucks for me. My 4 year old only wants chicken nuggets, and won't eat fries or apples, so the Happy Meal is out of the question for me. McDonald's doesn't have the chickie nuggets on it's dollar menu.
    So I drive right across the street to Wendy's!
    McDonald's = McYuck

I used to work at Mcdonalds and seriously if you had any inhibition about eating there before just work there and see how they "make" the food.

random facts about their food;
    - The pickles are not refrigerated, they are kept in a bag in the back next to the plastic cups and drink trays.
    -The Cinnamelts are frozen and are microwaved and as a result are dry as sin.

^^ Don't forget that the onions are dried onions. My friend who used to work at McDonald's told me this.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Elite Member

The only thing I like at McD's is the hashbrowns and the milkshakes.

Every once in a while, after a long, hard night of drinking, I like to get their cheeseburgers. (Are they still on the Dollar Menu? I haven't been in a while.) Everything else I can happily do without.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    That's why I get the Happy Meal! Just the right size.
    same here. i love the happy meal. i order kids meals where ever i can. that way i am sure there will be no waste of food.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    I used to work at Mcdonalds and seriously if you had any inhibition about eating there before just work there and see how they "make" the food.

random facts about their food;
    - The pickles are not refrigerated, they are kept in a bag in the back next to the plastic cups and drink trays.
    -The Cinnamelts are frozen and are microwaved and as a result are dry as sin.
    Actually MickeyD's is probably no worse than almost every restaurant when it comes to "better unknown info on what happens in the kitchen". If you knew what happened at most restaurants, you'd probably never eat out again, even nice, sit-down restaurants. Usually if i go to McDonald's, which is pretty rare, I get a dbl cheeseburger or mcchicken from the dollar menu. Maybe like once a year i get a craving for a BigMac or McFish.

Thread Information