Thread: China renames food prior to Olympics

Default China renames food prior to Olympics

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- What's in a name?
    Westerners are more accustomed to names that describe the ingredients and how they are cooked.

Local dishes like "Husband and wife's lung slice" or "Chicken without sexual life" conjure lots of furrowed eyebrows on famished foreigners.
    So, with the Olympics a few short weeks away, China is giving its cuisine a linguistic makeover.
    It is proposing that restaurants change the names of exotic, but bizarrely named, delicacies to make them more delectable for the estimated 50,000 visitors arriving in August for the Summer Games.
    The appetizer "Husband and wife's lung slice" is taking on the more appetizing "Beef and ox tripe in chili sauce."
    Don't Miss

"Chicken without sexual life" has been transformed into "Steamed pullet."
    The government has put down more than 2,000 proposed names in a 170-page book that it has offered to Beijing hotels, according to state media.
    "Thanks to the pamphlet, we do not have to struggle to come up with the English translations of dishes any more, which is usually time consuming," a senior manager at the four-star Guangzhou Hotel in downtown Beijing told the Xinhua news agency.
    The Chinese say the names of their dishes focus more on appearance than taste or smell. But Westerners are more accustomed to names that describe the ingredients and how they are cooked -- such as pot roast.
    The government realizes local names are a matter of taste, but don't want them to get lost in translation.
    Hence, the spicy Sichuanese dish "Bean curd made by a pock-marked woman" has been bestowed the more palatable "Mapo tofu."
    Not everyone is pleased.

"The process of standardizing a menu translation is a double-edged sword," wrote columnist Raymond Zhou in the China Daily newspaper. It "removes the ambiguity and unintended humor" and "takes away the fun and the rich connotation.
    "It turns a menu into the equivalent of plain rice, which has the necessary nutrients but is devoid of flavor."

here's a tip: bring your own food.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't know Grimm, Bean Curd Made by a Pock-Marked Woman sounds pretty tasty.

The food in that pic

We were supposed to go to China next month, but can't go because the area I was to visit was demolished by the earthquake. Anyway, I was planning on bringing a whole lot of protein bars.

^^ and toilet paper......I always advise that on a China trip...the bathrooms can be 'interesting' to put it kindly
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^ and toilet paper......I always advise that on a China trip...the bathrooms can be 'interesting' to put it kindly
    I remember you telling me that I told my friends that we need to take a suitcase with toilet paper, power bars and crackers!!!

it's good that the new names explain what's in the food (even if they lose the humour and imagery) but i think it's silly to travel with food. what's the point of going on holiday to a foreign country if you're not going to eat the local food?
    reminds me of these americans i met while travelling in the greek islands - one time they spent hours scouring every grocery store on a tiny island looking for gatorade. they couldn't think of actually living without it for a while, and were so picky and scared to try local food. picky, unadventurous eaters piss me off.

eta: toilet paper is probably a good idea though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I remember you telling me that I told my friends that we need to take a suitcase with toilet paper, power bars and crackers!!!
    I'm sorry you had to postpone China.....hopefully you'll get there in the future
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

They're renaming restaurants too!

Chinese restaurant takes the cake for naming error

17/07/2008 4:04:00 PM. | Jesse Perez

The internet has been filled with hilarious mistranslations of sign names, restaurant menus and street signs for many years - but at LIVENEWS.com.au we don't think we have seen one quite as outstanding as this.

Off The Wall says: We're not sure what kind of dishes they serve up at "Translate Server Error" - but we have no doubt it would be a smorgasboard of "404 page not found" fried rice, and "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" with Honey Soy Chicken.
    LIVENEWS.com.au > Off the wall > Chinese restaurant takes the cake for naming error

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

yeah, frankly eating anything in china seems like a bad idea, given how polluted, filthy, and frankly disgusting it can be.

You don't know which mercury and PCB soaked river its coming from

Hell, i don't even go into chinatown for chinese food.. that area gets raided so many times and they find such filth and pestilence in there that it's revolting.

no offence, but wtf is with chinese people and filthy neighborhoods in cities? spend a dollar and clean that shit up for gods sake. They always let their restaurants fall apart and spend the very minimum to keep them standing, let alone clean or not scuzzy
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ China is like that on the whole.......dirty, unsanitary, like the biggest Chinatown you've ever seen

I used to travel with a co-worker who would bring two pairs of of shoes on our China trips, she would only wear one, and as soon as we got back to the states she would throw them away

Some cities are a little better than others, but still......people spit in public, kids and adults relieve themselves wherever they are when the need strikes. There is great wealth, and the western hotels are really gorgeous, but it's a culture that is completely different than ours in regard to cleanliness...

Mao was a peasant of the 'three baths' philiosophy, one when your born, one when you marry, one when you die

Disgusting.

You'd think after 4000 years of culture they'd fucking clue in. The Japanese were around for 2000 years and they managed to keep everything ridiculously spotless and bathed every day.

Thread Information