Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best & worst theme park foods

Default Best & worst theme park foods

(Continuing our trend of best and/or worst foods out there)

Best & Worst Theme Park Foods - - 12Nutrition - MSN Health & Fitness

Best & Worst Theme Park Foods

by Sally Wadyka for MSN Health & Fitness

It’s easy to turn a day at the park into a carnival of calories, thanks to the wide array of tempting—and fattening—foods for sale everywhere you turn. But with a little careful planning and smart selections, it is possible to limit the nutritional damage done. It’s also worth remembering that a funnel cake at the fair is most likely a once-a-year indulgence. “If that’s the case, there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a not-so-healthy treat,” says Tara Gidus, R.D., spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. “Better yet, exercise some portion control and split the treat a few ways.” Here, our picks for the worst snacks to score at the amusement park, plus a few better-for-you alternatives.

</IMG>

Funnel Cake
    This sweet snack is essentially deep-fried dough, and it’s hard to argue that there is anything nutritionally worthwhile in fried dough. “It’s a combination of highly processed white flour, sugar, and saturated fat,” says Gidus. And although most mainstream restaurants and fast food eateries have eliminated trans fat–laden oils from their fry vats, there’s no guarantee that some smaller merchants—like those you might find at fairs or local amusement parks—have done the same. Either way, you’re consuming about 760 calories, 44 grams of fat, and 16 grams of sugar in that funnel cake.

</IMG>

Nachos
    Everyone loves the cheesy, crunchy, spicy combination of tastes that comes in a plate of nachos. And that’s all the more reason to pass that plate around and share it with your friends. There’s no need to consume the entire 861 calories, 59 grams of fat, and whopping 1811 milligrams of sodium all by yourself!

</IMG>

Chili Cheese Fries
    As with nachos, the real criminal element here is the sodium. A plate of french fries heaped with both chili and cheese will fill you up with 1540 milligrams of sodium—more than half of your daily limit. Along with that, you’re eating 745 calories and 45 grams of fat. “The potatoes are deep fried, the cheese is probably highly processed and the chili is likely not made from the leanest meats,” says Gidus. For a similarly satisfying salty fix, choose a small order of fries and dip them in ketchup to add a little good-for-you lycopene to the mix.

</IMG>

Corn Dog
    “When you analyze your food choices, it’s worth looking at not only what’s bad, but looking for what’s good,” says Gidus. And in this case, there’s really not much that’s good. The hot dog is full of fat and sodium (and likely not made from the most choice cuts of meat), and it’s coated with refined corn flour and deep fried. That combination adds up to 375 calories, 21 grams of fat, and 1170 milligrams of sodium. A better choice would be a small, lean hamburger, a turkey sub or even a plain hot dog.

</IMG>

Turkey Leg

Weighing in at over a pound, these oversized drumsticks pack more than a meal’s worth of fat and calories. “The size is part of the problem, but you’re also getting the dark meat—which is the oiliest and highest in fat—plus the skin, which adds fat and calories,” says Gidus. Putting away just one leg adds up to 1136 calories and an incredible 54 grams of fat.

</IMG>

Cotton Candy
    If you’re looking for nutritionally redeeming qualities in this sweet treat, you aren’t going to find them. Cotton candy is essentially just spun sugar, spiked with a bit of food coloring. “It’s empty calories for sure,” says Gidus. The only virtue here is that there aren’t too many of those calories. So if you’re craving something sticky and sweet, choose cotton candy and you’ll only eat 171 calories and zero grams of fat.

</IMG>

Pizza
    This typical fare is undoubtedly high in calories and fat. “But compared to some of your other choices, pizza—especially a plain or veggie variety—has a lot more nutritional value,” says Gidus. You’re getting a little vitamin C and lycopene in the tomato sauce, and protein and calcium in the mozzarella cheese. A seven-inch round cheese pie contains 667 calories, 24 grams of fat and 1085 milligrams of sodium. Make it healthier by asking for it light on cheese, adding veggies and avoiding high-fat, high-sodium additions like sausage and pepperoni.

</IMG>

Candy Apple
    It may be covered in pure sugar, but unlike empty caloric treats, at least you are still getting a fiber- and nutrient–rich apple underneath. It’s also very low in fat (just 0.5 grams), and contains 332 calories and 4 grams of healthy fiber. Plus, this crunchy snack takes a long time to eat, increasing the feeling of satisfaction.

</IMG>

Corn on the Cob
    There’s not much that the cooks can do to spoil this snack. Whether it’s boiled, steamed or grilled, an ear of corn delivers just 201 calories and 1 gram of fat. Of course, dousing it in butter will add significant fat, and loading it with salt will up your sodium intake. “But it’s a whole grain, it’s high in fiber and it has a natural sweetness—the combination may make you feel full and satisfied enough to resist other more fattening treats,” says Gidus.

</IMG>

Kabobs
    If you can find skewers of grilled meats and vegetables, they are likely to be by far the healthiest meal option at the park. Stick with leaner cuts (white meat chicken or lean beef instead of higher-fat lamb), and add vegetables to the mix if possible. One grilled chicken kabob has about 150 calories and 1.5 grams of fat; one with beef weighs in at 220 calories and 9 grams of fat.

If it’s possible to pack your own lunch and snacks, that’s going to be your healthiest—and cheapest—dining solution. Bottled water, whole wheat wrap sandwiches filled with lean protein (like turkey or hummus) and veggies, fruit and cut-up raw vegetables will keep you satisfied during a trip to the amusement park. But unfortunately, not all parks allow you to bring outside food and drinks inside. If that’s the case, you still have options. You could always eat lunch at home and then spend the afternoon enjoying the rides and entertainment. Or leave a cooler full of food in the car and take a break midday to munch on a picnic in the parking lot.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

The fun is in eating funnel cake and corndogs. Who was talking about a deep fried avocado a while back? I would totally try that... like deep fried avocado sticks.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

A*O

OK - so what's on the Worst Foods list?
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I have to have funnel cakes & corny dogs. Nachos run right up there and don't get bewteen me and cotton candy! At some point & on special occasions, you just have to live!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I haven't had a funnel cake in eons, but the damn things are worth the 5 pounds.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

What - no deep fried Snickers or Oreos?

Seeing how it was fair week in my town this week, I'm suprised they forgot chicken on a stick, which is my personal favorite.

We are going back Saturday night because my boys are upset they didn't get a funnel cake.

I want those nachos NOW.

Yeah, I'm going to bring f*cking CARROT STICKS AND CELERY to an amusement park. Health nazis.

I don't eat that kind of food during the rest of my normal life. If I go to a theme park, I am eating a corn dog. With fake cheese. And you can't stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to bring f*cking CARROT STICKS AND CELERY to an amusement park. Health nazis.
    don't forgot your hidden valley ranch dip

That funnel cake looks like powdered intestines or tiny slaughtered people all piled together. Yum.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Wow some of the things* they listed here are like a discovery for me...!! I guess this is why I am thin!!

* funnel cake, chilly cheese fries, corn dogs, turkey, and caramel apple (actually the candy apple never loked so yummy to me with all that sweet caramel).
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

^Heh. I'm thin, too, but I've eaten my share of corn dogs and cheese fries. And candy apples....oh yum.

My trick is: I only eat them every once in a blue moon, and I always, always share.
    Last edited by Lily; August 1st, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I love corn dogs; I get the morningstar farm ones so it's okay, right?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

If you can't eat fair food without having an anxiety attack, then you shouldn't be at a fucking fair at all.

Jesus. Lighten up.

Are you at the fair every fucking day for weeks on end? No. It's a one time thing. Let your hair down, let the kids go ride some rides without you calling them every 3 seconds to make sure pwecious is alright, and just RE-THE FUCK-LAX
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information