Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Children and food

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Children and food

Where to begin... My son has decided that he won't eat food that isn't crap. He just pointed to some oranges and told me "I will not eat that at school" He's having snack right now I went through a list of things he could have; cheese and apple, banana and milk, cheerios... he wants cake. So he's having an apple and cake. It's getting to where no matter what I make for dinner (and I'm a badass cook) he wants either a scrambled egg, peanut butter & jelly, a cheese sandwich or goldfish. There is no fucking way I'm letting my son eat goldfish for dinner; they may be whole grain but the sodium is so high. Oh yeah, and he's decided he hates milk.
    I've attempted to sneak spinach into spaghetti sauce which worked but he hates spaghetti now. There are days when his lunch box still has the real food I pack for him in it.
    I just don't get it; if a child is hungry they'll eat, right? Maybe he's just three and being willful but I'm still worried about proper nutrition.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

he's testing the limits and seeing what he can get away with. don't scream and go mental but make it perfectly clear that he will eat what you give him, or he won't eat. he'll go hungry for a few hours, a day, a couple of days, depending on how stubborn he is. but he will get it that you are boss.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    he's testing the limits and seeing what he can get away with. don't scream and go mental but make it perfectly clear that he will eat what you give him, or he won't eat. he'll go hungry for a few hours, a day, a couple of days, depending on how stubborn he is. but he will get it that you are boss.
    great advice!
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I have a 4 yr old that is basically the same way. Its maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I just can't do that. I'm totally chill with him. When he doesn't eat his lunch at school he's starving by the time he gets home but will still refuse "good food" there have even been instances of entire plates of food being shoved off the table which turns into a time out.
    It must be some kind of limit testing control thing because at one time he would eat or at least try just about anything I put in front of him.
    The one vegetable he'll eat changes every week. This week he may taste an avocado. He did eat an entire bowl of guacamole I made for him.

It's kind of maddening as a parent to say "Oh well I guess you're not that hungry then." I have one rule that he at least try everything on his plate but some nights it's just easier to give him grilled cheese if that's what he wants.

I have snuck shredded carrots into grilled cheese but I don't think it's enough to count as a full serving. I used to be able to hand him half an avocado and a spoon and he was good to go. Must bang head on desk now; we're going to my sister's for dinner.

A*O

How old is he? I agree with sputnik - there are times when you have to be a parent instead of a best friend and this is one of them. Perhaps give him an either/or choice of "acceptable" food so he feels he has at least some say in the matter but do not cave in to his demands or you will create a monster. Kids have to learn that the world does not revolve around them and their demands and that sometimes they have to STFU and do as they're told.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I say just go with him Try to take him to the grocery store & let him choose. The main thing I learned in my "my kid will never eat white bread "phase, was that I did the opposite-I made white beard a many wondered thing. A holy grail!
    I decided then never to let him think one food was more important than the others. If he wanted dessert first,fine. He outgrew it rapidly.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I take him to the store and he picks out the fruit. Then later he decides it is yucky.

My son will actually eat slices of wheat bread.

Ugh, I don't know. I just hate the idea of "starving" him. I know he'll eat steak just not the vegetables; maybe a smoothie? Yummmm broccoli smoothies!!!

Do it because you love him. I know it sounds cliché, but you can't give into this demand for a poor diet. He will only become more and more accustom to it, and the habit will be very difficult to break later on (when he is suffering from health problems such as obesity, fatigue, skin problems, even hair loss, etc). I believe it is crucial to be raised with proper dietary habits, because they tend to stick over time. Just my opinion.

(I'm assuming you already give him a daily multi-vitamin -- Flinstones are the BEST )

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I take him to the store and he picks out the fruit. Then later he decides it is yucky.

My son will actually eat slices of wheat bread.

Ugh, I don't know. I just hate the idea of "starving" him. I know he'll eat steak just not the vegetables; maybe a smoothie? Yummmm broccoli smoothies!!!

My daughter is the same way: lets pick out some GOOD food at the store! She picks out all kinds of good food; fruit, whole cheese, better things. I buy them and we get them home and she will not TOUCH them. Its a tantrum or something like it in order to even entertain her eating them...

So......I basically gave up. However, I should say that she is starting to come around SOMEWHAT in terms of eating. Not entirely of course, but starting to. I think her little sister helps because she DOES eat these things so that affects big sister you know?? Its still an ongoing battle though...

See, it sounds like he's learning to take advantage of you being so chill with him. He's 3, it's the age where kids start to test their limits and their parents' limits. Only way to nip it in the bud is to stand firm (giving him choices is fair) and have a couple of days of hunger or however long it takes, like sputnik and A*O said. It will probably be hard for you to put him through that, and easier said than done of course, but I think it will be worth it for the good dietary habits he'll have and for your sanity.

^^Just curious, but where does she say he's 3???

First post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Maybe he's just three and being willful but I'm still worried about proper nutrition.
    They really do like to test the boundaries at that age!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

i was a very fussy as a child (still am actually) dinner time was a bitch in my house. i didnt want to eat everything on my plate, and i wasnt allowed to get up until i did. i usually went to bed without dinner. thats the reason i dont insist on my children eating everything on their plates.

one thing that i've done with my children, is i ask them to try it. they dont have to eat it, they can even spit it out, but to just try it. my kids are 26 and 14 and never once have they spit out the food.

i really dont mean this as rude, but when we eat dinner, the kids were never in charge of what was eaten. they might be in charge of helping choose the meal, but they dont get to NOT eat. Make meal time fun, let them help make the menu.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I do have that one rule that he has to try a bite of everything on his plate; it may not be yucky.
    When I said chill I meant that I don't scream and go mental; I rarely raise my voice around my son unless I'm doing the stern serious "you better do it NOW" voice.
    He gets gummy vitamins. It probably just seems really freaky to me since he used to eat anything and now I can only think that he's had one and 1/2to 1 whole banana a day concerning fruit.

I think I will start doing smoothies again because he likes the juicer and blender he'll think that's cool; and I can claim that I put ice cream and cake in it... but he isn't learning anything by being tricked.
    It's really funny when I'm talking about dinner and he says he wants broccoli... guess what happens when there's broccoli. This is the same boy that ate my mozzarella, roma, and basil stuffed chicken breasts. WTF happened!?!?!?!?!? Seriously, he's turning into some meat and potatoes person.
    I can't do the go hungry thing with him; he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. He's three. He doesn't know that by not eating anything at all he's making his blood sugar spaz out and what not. My concern is his disdain for vegetables and fruit. This is the same kid who would toddle around in the kitchen chewing on a carrot while I made dinner. I want him to be not back talky again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information