Thread: Fun foods in Japan

Default Fun foods in Japan

Strange foodstuffs from Japan and beyond.

Wasabi Choco, Japan. The text on the right reads: "Is it sweet? Is it spicy? A new chocolate sensation!" You've got white chocolate in my Japanese horseradish! You've got Japanese horseradish in my white chocolate!

Square Watermelon, Shibuya, Tokyo.

C$150
    US$102

Godzilla's Egg Watermelon, Precce Supermarket, Nakameguro, Tokyo. It's kept in a cage to keep Tokyo and your wallet safe.

One watermelon:
    C$105
    US$74

Expensive Fruit, Kinokuniya Supermarket, Aoyama, Tokyo.One melon:
    C$150
    US$102
    A cup of ten cherries:
    C$18
    US$12

Potato Chips, Japan. "American Burger Flavour". Every month in Japan, a multitude of new snack foods are born only to tragically die before their best-before dates a few weeks later. This is one of the more interesting ones.

EbiCchi, Japan: "EbiCch is a snack who has used by raw shrimp. It contains rich in natural calcium. We are baked it in a short time and keep flavor it's raw material."

Relief Chocolate, Japan: a Disney branded laxative?

Stinky Tofu, Taipei. You can find street stalls selling deep-fried fermented tofu in every night market in Taipei. It's easy to find, imagine the fine fragrance of rancid cheese lovingly mingled with the sweet odour of high school boys' feet after gym class. You can smell it 100 meters away. I've been told that it is very delicious, but some Japanese will tell you the same about nattou.

Potato Chips, Japan. "Winter's Potato Chips: Creamy Stew Flavour". Every month in Japan, a multitude of new snack foods are born only to tragically die before their best-before dates a few weeks later. This is yet another one of them. While being somewhat creamy, they don't taste anything like the cream stew pictured. It's more like a sour cream and onion chip minus the sour and the onion.

Lotte Yogurt 100, Japan. Yogurt-flavoured candy, mmm.

Takoyaki, Osaka. Takoyaki is one of the famous foods of the Osaka area. Literally translated, it means something like "burnt octopus", but it's much more than that. One girl translated takoyaki for me as "octopus balls", which lead me to reply: "Really, I didn't know they had any". Basically, takoyaki are a kind of small spherical pancake, filled with bits of octopus tentacles and ginger, fried, and covered with a delicious sauce. They are sprinkled with dried fish shavings and dried seaweed flakes.

Lotte Coffee, Japan. A coffee-flavoured chewing gum that leaves your breath coffee-fresh.

Mr. Squid, Thailand. Mr. Squid baked cuttlefish: spicy, non fried, crispy and fun.

Calpis Water, Onomichi, Hiroshima-ken. Try saying "Calpis Water" ten times in rapid succession. Mmm...mmm, nothing can quench a summer thirst like half a litre of chilled bovine urine. Quite wisely, this product is sold overseas as "Calpico Water". This product is similar to Pocari Sweat and Post water.

Weird Food

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

loved this!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

i wonder what the chocolate is like

I love the idea of a square watermelon

I noticed no Disney label on those Disney characters/laxative thingy. Obviously not a Disney endorsement.

I love chips and those kinds of snacks, especially anything with shrimp in it or shrimp flavoured. Calpis is delicious. Stinky tofu was featured in Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods" show on the Travel Channel. The one he ate off a food stall he actually liked, the one he ate in a restaurant he almost hurled.

All of these are better than fried scorpions on a stick, at least.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Hit By Ban Bus!

wonder how they make the watermelon square? grow it in a rectangle-box or something?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I had Takoyaki on Sunday. Yummerz. There's an AZN night festival going on all summer long over here in VanQ (more precisely the next city over in Richmond)

Oh by the way, it doesn't mean octopus balls, it means grilled (not burnt either) octopus. But in reality there is only small chunks in them.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh goodness; I have a friend who always gets the stinky tofu when we go to a particular place and it is a bit foul.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thread Information