Thread: Question for the tequila experts

Default Question for the tequila experts

I had a very smooth tequila with what seems as a hint of vanilla last week in Vegas, and I have no idea what the name of it was~ any experts here?

..it was $20 a shot, if that helps, but in Vegas, that could mean mediocre.

^^^
    was it clear or more of an amber colour?
    it might have been very good aged tequila which explains the smoother taste and what you thought was vanilla. or it could be some kind of flavoured tequila, i'm not a fan of flavoured anything actually so i have no idea if they sell vanilla-flavoured tequila.
    but i do know that if you want great tequila with no gross after-taste and no headache the next day, you can't go wrong with don julio, el tesoro de don felipe or don andrés, and go for reposado or añejo, always smoother than blanco (the clear kind). cheap tequila has that nasty taste to it and you're guaranteed a headache the next day, so only drink tequila that is 100% agave, no dodgy mixed kinds.
    and i'm not one of those people that can drink a lot of hard liquor but i can have a shot of any of these 3 and i don't even need the salt and lemon (or orange and cinnamon, depends on how you take it). it's that good.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I love tequila (yes, even the crap stuff), and never tried the smooth, "good" stuff until last week, so I'm ready to start experimenting with better quality.

Unfortunately, it was very dark where I had the shot, so I don't know if it was clear or amber. He did say it was well aged, and I remember hearing a name or two that you have listed, but I'm not sure which one I actually received (!!). It would not have been "flavored", but I think that vanilla was just the smoothness (as I said, I've been drinking the cheap crap for years, only occasionally, so I'm delighted to find out that there's better stuff out there!)

I appreciate your time and info in helping me find a nice tequila! What is "reposado or añejo"?

What is your personal favorite? I don't do the "accessories" with it either.

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I look forward to purchasing a nice bottle soon, as I truly need a stress reducer lately...

Here's the best idea-if you remember which hotel/bar you were in,call them. On the 800 number-they will transfer. The bartender will know right off & be flattered you asked.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by sherbear905 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I love tequila (yes, even the crap stuff), and never tried the smooth, "good" stuff until last week, so I'm ready to start experimenting with better quality.

Unfortunately, it was very dark where I had the shot, so I don't know if it was clear or amber. He did say it was well aged, and I remember hearing a name or two that you have listed, but I'm not sure which one I actually received (!!). It would not have been "flavored", but I think that vanilla was just the smoothness (as I said, I've been drinking the cheap crap for years, only occasionally, so I'm delighted to find out that there's better stuff out there!)

I appreciate your time and info in helping me find a nice tequila! What is "reposado or añejo"?

What is your personal favorite? I don't do the "accessories" with it either.

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I look forward to purchasing a nice bottle soon, as I truly need a stress reducer lately...
    you're welcome, sherbear! i drink tequila only very occasionally so when i do have it, it has to be good!

añejo is aged tequila, and is an amber colour.
    'reposado' (or 'rested') tequila has been aged but only for a few months, i think. less than a year in any case or it would qualify as añejo.
    and 'blanco' is the regular clear kind, un-aged.
    there's also 'oro' but that's usually cheap, bad tequila, the clear kind mixed with some aged tequila and a bunch of nasty additives (sugar, etc) to make it taste like añejo. stay away from that stuff.

my favourite is reposado and añejo, though for drinks like margaritas i think it's better to go with blanco or reposado.
    as long as it's 100% agave, you can't go wrong really. it's the mixed stuff with additives that will make you feel like shit the next day.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information