Thread: "Fancy Dining" rant

Default "Fancy Dining" rant

Another rant from me.

Anyway on Christmas Eve, a friend of the family and his wife invited me and my parents to go out to dinner to celebrate his wife's retirement. Now the restaruant they invieted us to was one of those "fancy five-star" places and they had a strict dress code, meaning I had to wear an uncomfortable suit and tie (I hate wearing suits, that's why I'm not a business man ). The restraunt was some ritzy Itallian place with a confusing Italiian name.

So anyway when me and the rest of the party ame to the restaraunt, my friend had to pay $7.00 in valet (which is stupid). After that we went in and had to wait for 20 mnutes for a table even though we had a reservation. When we finally got a table, the waiter comes up and gives us our menus and the drink menus and all that. I look at the menu and even though I was'nt paying, I could tell that most of the food was overpriced ($29.00 for a t-bone steak for god's sake). Not only that but the same waiter was a impatient asshole and was annoyed when we asked if we could take a minute to order our drinks and food.

Here's where the evening goes downhill. When were done with our orders, the waiter was nowhere to be found, we waited like 15 mins before I just flagged down another waiter for our order. I got the cheapest item on the menu ($23.00 shrimp plate)and a glass of coke just cuz I did'nt want my friend's bill to go high. So anyway were done with the ordering and we wait and wait...and wait. Finally after about 40 mins of waitin the first waiter comes back and gives us our salad and entrees.

First off, the thing I hate about fancy restaraunts is that the cooks feel that putting a small amount of food on a big-ass plate and spreading sauce in fancy patterns will get someone's stomah full. Well suffice to say all I got for that $23 was 5 pieces of jumbo shrimp with a small lump of pasta, a sprig of basil and some oyster thing. The salad was no better since it was the bowl of the size of a ashtray. My friend's pretended like their meals were all that but I could tell they were'nt satisfied either. Anyway we finished the meal, and had to flag down another waiter for our bill (which came to about $156.34 for 5 people ). I was still starving and after all that my friend stopped off at Wendy's cuz we were still hungry and it tasted better than that over=priced crap from that "five-star restaraunt".

Basically what I'm saying is, I rather go to a out of the way Coney Island or cafe and pay under $10 for a bomb-ass meal wearing my joggin pants and t-shirt, than dress up in a tight suit and eating over-priced crap on a big-ass plate in a snobby joint. Anyone else agree?

Default Re: "Fancy Dining" rant

Wow, that is really expensive! I hope they didn't leave a big tip or anything because it sounds like the waiter doesn't deserve one.

With my BF and with friends we always go to places we already know, and even then bad surprises happen sometimes.
    My parents always try new fancy places where you have to get all dressed up, and are often disappointed, either by the food or by the price, or both.

The best place to eat is and stays: home sweet home
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

A*O

Hmmmmm - If you judge your meal based on quantity rather than quality, then most 'fancy' restaurants will probably disappoint. But I have a problem with over-large portions in American restaurants anyway (that's another rant). Personally, I don't think $30 per head is outrageous. I would be more pissed off about the slow service (see my rant/thread on that subject) and the waiters with attitute who still expect a tip.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have to say I agree with A*0. While there is no excuse for bad service, gargangtuan portions aren't the norm in most good fancy restaurants. This summer I heard some Americans complaining in a great French restaurant at a winery that we consider one of our favourites that their portions were small.

I looked at their plates and my mouth dropped open. They were entirely covered with food -- they weren't heaped sky-high but it was plenty, especially for a three-course prix fixe meal for $30 including two wine pairings. Cheap at the price. Unusual and fresh ingredients are usually used, thought goes into presentation and taste combinations, and the food is to be savoured, not gulped down at high speed in fine dining establishiments. Need I mention that these people were all spilling out of their seats?

Nouvelle cuisine portions are ridiculously small, but they've mostly gone out of fashion, except maybe at the restaurant you were at Mr. Authority!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Tonight, my hubby and I felt like some sushi so we went looking for a Japanese restaurant. We left downtown cuz there's no where to park due to Boxing day congestion and drove off to Kits. Found a fancy looking one on 4th called Yuji's. It was fancy alright. It's a tapas lounge and almost everything they had (all appetizers and not actual meals) was priced around/over $20 but we did get QUALITY. One of the things we got was AAA grade wild sockeye salmon sashimi. I had never had salmon so soft that literally melts in your mouth. Yes the portions were, indeed, very very small, only 5 thin tiny pieces of sashimi for about $20 but I think it was well worth it. And they had an extensive and awesome Sake list.

Pacidic Breeze, if you haven't been there you must !! (it's at 4th and Arbutus) I thought it was so much better than Tojo's. And try their green tea creme brulee, it's utterly heavenly.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Lil

It depends what sort of mood I'm in. Sometimes a massive plate of food somewhere cheap and cheerful is good, but sometimes I like to get dressed up and go somewhere nice and have a small portion of something fabulous.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Yeah I understand what ya saying PB and A*O, that fancy places don't have large portions, but still when I order something that's $23 I better get enough food to fill my stomach. I do go to places that have that balance of quanity and quality when it comes to food entrees.

I'm just the type of guy that prefers a nice coney island with burgers and fries instead of some large and noisy fancy place with dinners that consist of a small pile of over-priced meat that I could've gotten at the store for cheaper.

IN fact let's just say that cooking and eating at home is better than going out.

Thread Information