Thread: Pudding basins

Gold Member

Default Pudding basins

Hi,

I am hoping that the great minds at GR will be able to help me like they have done in the past.

With the passing away of my mum, she bequeathed to me the task of doing the family Christmas pudding. It started with my great nan and has now come to me. So I am the 4th generation. Unfortunately as I dislike Christmas pudding it is one of the few cooking things I am out of my depth on.

What I am perplexed about is what type of pudding basin should I cook it in? All I know is that I need a 2 litre basin. But I have no idea on what I should be looking for. Should it be ceramic; aluminium or stainless steal?

As I am looking to a trial run for Christmas in August any light that could be shed on this would be gratefully appreciated. Plus you will get the eternal gratitude of my entire family who love Christmas pudding.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Can't you just get your mom's basin since she's past?

Zee

Not English- so this is the American slant.

Cook in ceramic bowls- seal well and either put in crock pot or water bath to cook slowly.

Have helped out friend's family and I only enjoy the alchohol soaking of the pudding.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

No help from me, the only pudding I know of is the Jello Instant Pudding.

Gold Member

Thank you for your help Zorbeet. I will get a ceramic one and follow your instructions.

Sweetie, unfortunately her pudding basin was broken a couple of years ago so she used to borrow her friends one.

There might be one like hers on ebay. I would check. You know I am a terrible cook and don't even understand liters,unless it has Coke in it. Still,Dearest Anne-I understand and applaud this leap you must now take as Senior Female Authority in your family. My admiration for you increases! You will master this,I am sure. Many hugs and if you have a failure,you may count on me for massive sympathy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I use a Pyrex bowl and cover it first with parchment and then with foil.

You can also use a double boiler. Just pour the pudding batter straight into the top pot - grease it first - cover with the lid, and then place the top pot over the boiling water in the bottom pot. Works fine!

Gold Member

Thanks McJag. I am sure the first time will be a disaster, hence my trial run in August. Yes someone has to take charge. my mum was wonderful in her last days. The night before she went she was complaining about a crossword puzzle having stupid clues becasue a new person was doing it. She was full of spark to the end. She even had the audacity to kick me out of her room at 9.30 the night before she went, as she didn't like me night time driving.

Thank you as well aabbcc. That sounds like a brilliant way to do them and Pyrex is good.

I am all inspired now thanks to the help I have received from you all.

She was a Mother, doing her job right to the end! Somehow,I think she will be smiling down and watching your efforts-cheering you on! We can help-please keep us informed. I am sorry to say I have never had Christmas Pudding. Could we see your recipe?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Zee

Just put extra booze on the pudding if it doesn't turn out as planned. Nobody will notice. Good luck.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

A*O

I use Pyrex too. They do pudding bowls in all sorts of sizes too so you could experiment with a smaller one using a quarter or half the quantities. Saves throwing too much away the first time!!!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Just put extra booze on the pudding if it doesn't turn out as planned. Nobody will notice.
    Haha ... very true.

Pudding Basins with Lids

I found these. They are not very pretty.

If all else fails, take a note from the Scots ... lay a clean dish towel in a bowl, pour the pudding batter into the center of the towel and then gather up the towel and tie it near the top, leaving room for the pudding to expand. Drop the towel-wrapped pudding into a pot of boiling water and simmer for the amount of time specified in the recipe. A pudding cooked in this fashion is known as a clootie dumpling.

This method works very well. I've used it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    If all else fails, take a note from the Scots ... lay a clean dish towel in a bowl, pour the pudding batter into the center of the towel and then gather up the towel and tie it near the top, leaving room for the pudding to expand. Drop the towel-wrapped pudding into a pot of boiling water and simmer for the amount of time specified in the recipe. A pudding cooked in this fashion is known as a clootie dumpling.

This method works very well. I've used it several times.
    I would never get the nerve!

Thread Information