Thread: Restaurant Service: What's Too Slow?

A*O

Default Restaurant Service: What's Too Slow?

We just took our son out for a birthday dinner. We deliberately skipped lunch so we'd be hungry and went to a local seafood restaurant that everybody raves about. We arrived early at 6.30pm and ordered within about 10 minutes because we knew what we wanted which was basically some wine, soft drinks for the kids and a main course each (no starters). ONE HOUR+ later we were still waiting to be served our meals.

The meal was OK, not fabulous, but OK. The slow service ruined the whole experience for me, or am I being unreasonable? The restaurant was virtually empty when we arrived so the kitchen wasn't busy and we ordered standard dishes from the menu.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Default Re: Restaurant Service: What's Too Slow?

Not at all unreasonable!! I would have been pissed. Especially since the restaurant wasn't crowded.

No, you're right over an hour is too long and really seafood doesn't take too long to cook does it? It ruins the evening if you are sat staring at your watch. Plus your kids must have been so bored.

Reminds me of when me and my boyfriend went to a local pub for a Sunday roast. we ordered and waited, half an hour, then and hour and some. I'm quite shy at complaining or creating a fuss so it took me until an hour and a half to ask what was going on. It turns out they'd given our meals to a couple on table 13 (We were table 30). The couple had eaten and ran off! So the moral of the story - ask

After complaining we were told that the Kitchen was closed but they will ensure we get our meals. They arrived piping hot in less than 5 mins?!! Obviously just bunged into a microwave, they offered us a free desert but we left.

That sounds awful!! The only time I expect service like that is when I go to my favorite sushi place.

Bronze Member

An hour is way too long to wait for your meal....provided you didn't order appetizers, salads, and there was nothing to munch on such as chips, bread, etc.

Since the restaurant wasn't crowded, it may have been the fault of your server, or perhaps there was a crisis in the kitchen that caused the delay, although usually the server will explain to you what is causing the delay if this is the case... "a pipe burst in the kitchen, the cook is having a problem with the stove, someone burnt your food and now we have to start over, etc.....".

I have seen restaurants/waitstaffs just get lazy. How infuriating.

Personally, I believe good service is based all upon timing. If I order an appetizer, I expect it to arrive anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes after I order. I also hate it when you have just started eating your salad and the server brings your main meal (a good restaurant will actually give you 5 to 10 minutes or so after you finish one course before they present you with the next one).

Despite my high expectations, I am not a difficult customer provided the server apologizes for the delay and/or offers an explanation. I know stuff happens and restaurant staff can get busy or sidetracked. I do not take it lightly though when I feel I am being ignored, but I do not cause a scene, I just leave a 10-15% tip instead of a 20-25% one.

A*O

I've been asking around other people who've been to this place and they all say the same thing - good food but S L O W service. I'm a cynic and think they deliberately slow down so you are forced to order more drinks and/or overpriced garlic bread, etc. Anyway, I won't be going back.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We had this happen once when we went out for my birthday. We had to wait 1-1 1/2 hours for our food. My husband was so hungry he was eating butter pats. They finally came out and said they had lost our order, but never made any attempt to give us a break on the bill or anything like that. We never went back.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Thread Information