Thread: Corn Belt floods will = even higher food prices

Thumbs down Corn Belt floods will = even higher food prices

Very heavy rains (up to 15 inches and more) have swamped much of Illlinois, Indiana, and western Ohio. Even in the non-flooding areas, it has been very wet, and corn and soybean crops are suffering(if they even got planted). This area is the leading area in the world for production of these crops, and with higher than ever demand because of ethanol, expect skyrocketing corn and soybean prices.

what does this mean?

Not only will corn products(they are ubiquitous, corn syrup, corn oil, etc.) go up, but since corn is such a big animal feed, expect meat prices to skyrocket also.

When will the bad news end?

Everyone should go back to the days of WW Two, when home 'victory' gardens produced up to half of the vegetable production in the nation! Plant a fricken' garden if you have the room! It is a good and healthy hobby too!

Zee

I live in the farming belt and many fields are still unplanted. Unusually wet spring and high fertilizer prices have many local farmers bypassing planting corn and soybean.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    I live in the farming belt and many fields are still unplanted. Unusually wet spring and high fertilizer prices have many local farmers bypassing planting corn and soybean.
    I have seen that around here too. I was wondering what it was, whether it was fields too wet, or just leaving them fallow this year, or what. Most of the fields around me(there is one directly in front of this place) are untouched. Prices are going to go through the fucking roof. And corn in some form or another seems to be in just about every processed food product.

*And damn, are those farm machines loud! I never knew that until living next to a cornfield!

Thread Information