Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else enjoy boxed dinners?

Default Does anyone else enjoy boxed dinners?

These things are my guilty pleasure:

They are so easy to make and cheap. I also like Hamburger Helper and Stovetop boxed stuffing. My mom didn't ever really know how to cook, so on the nights at her house when we didn't eat out, she would make something like this and now it's one of my favorite comfort foods.

My favorites are the Beef Stew and Vegetables and Beans and Chili with Cornbread. Do any of y'all make these types of things in your home?

Hit By Ban Bus!

LOVE THEM. We usually eat the Country Chicken and Biscuits homestyle bakes. I keep a few boxes of Hamburger Helper on hand too, for nights when I really don't want to cook.

I'm not big on them, I have tried them and there are some that are good, I just like to prepare my own food and for it to be fresh.
    Thanks, for the heads up on which ones you like though. I may give them a try since prices are going up.

me! i actually just had one for lunch!

i can't cook for my life so if no one else is around to make dinner or if i'm not going out, i'll eat one of these. They're quick and easy!

we didn't even have a microwave growing up. my mother only got one last year, and only because she doesn't cook as much now that there aren't that many of us at home and to heat up leftovers, etc.
    she's always been anti processed food and never even bought frozen food, much less hamburger helper or mac and cheese. as a kid i used to love eating this stuff at friends' houses.
    i still love mashed potatoes that come in a box though. the kind that are basically dehydrated potato flakes that you just add hot water and milk to.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    we didn't even have a microwave growing up. my mother only got one last year, and only because she doesn't cook as much now that there aren't that many of us at home and to heat up leftovers, etc.
    she's always been anti processed food and never even bought frozen food, much less hamburger helper or mac and cheese. as a kid i used to love eating this stuff at friends' houses.
    i still love mashed potatoes that come in a box though. the kind that are basically dehydrated potato flakes that you just add hot water and milk to.
    Ha! My Mother was like that,too! I never had lamb,meatloaf,liver or macaroni & cheese at home-ever! Always more exotic at someone else's house!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love them! And buy them when they go on sale. I like all kinds, mostly the chicken and tuna ones(not so much the beef ones). I bought one today in fact.

I also like the boxed rice or pasta dinners cause it is so easy to add this and that and leftovers to them to make them better. Plus I usually add more noodles or rice or other such stuff to extend it, along with maybe some meat or veggies and spices.

They are great as a starter for making something better.

*I think alot of the time they have too much salt and fat and (even flavoring) and stuff so adding to it kind of lowers that stuff a bit.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Good lord no, processed food causes cancer.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Quote Originally Posted by TonjaLasagna View Post
    Good lord no, processed food causes cancer.
    lol..so does 95 percent of the things in the world!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

They are awful for you, but hey---they are good. And once in awhile, its nice to have.

I will buy them when they are on sale and I have a coupon. I will dig one out if I am stuck for what to make for dinner. But I do not buy them often.

The one I truly loved was the 'Homestyle Bakes Cheesy Ham and Potato's' I think it was called. Haven't seen it in awhile...

I kinda like to know what's in my food, I make most of my stuf from scratch. Having said that, I can't resist a Findus Crispy Pancake!!

My mum was also a healthy eating type, I think it has rubbed off on me and my sister, but I can totally relate to Sputnik's post, I used to love going to friend's houses, and I still remember my FIRST EVER Pot Noodle! It was Chicken and Mushroom flavour, and it was like nothing I'd ever tasted before, IE amazing!!

I actually think most of these things are pretty tasty. That said, I don't buy them, because I like to cook from scratch, and, as Rondette said, know what's in my food and avoid fake shit. But I'm not a food snob - I love eating these things, I just make the effort deliberately not to!

They're actually never all that cheap around here either. Per gram or whatever, I find I can usually make the same thing from scratch for cheaper. I do buy plain old KD once in a while though, and add broccoli, asparagus or tomatoes to it (or weiners if I'm feeling really nostalgic, LOL).
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I worked with a girl recently who didn't know how to cook. I mean, even how to make a spaghetti or a stir-fry. She was quite unabashed about it, she didn't need to know, her mum cooked for her!
    I found it odd, I'm so used to chucking stuff around and making random casseroles and experiments, I find it a bit sad that people don't find the joy in making food and playing with flavours. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a food snob, but to be actively proud of not being able to make a simple spag bol (pretty easy imho) is like being proud of not having read a book since leaving school. It's not clever or smart!

I'm another from scratch cooker. The processed stuff doesn't taste good to me. Except Velveeta. I haven't had that in ages though.

My husband is a big fan of Hamburger Helper Stroganoff. I'll make it for him about every other week and have a big salad as an alternative for the kids and I.

To answer your question, the box meals taste good. They are chemically engineered to do so. I ate them for most of my life. Now when I eat it I can't keep a picture of the label out of my head, so I just veer away. If I take a bite it just doesn't taste like food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information