Thread: Advice for new vegetarian?

Gold Member

Default Advice for new vegetarian?

Hi,

I just decided a few days ago to stop eating meat after seeing a couple of bulls in the back of a horse trailer (presumably on the way to a slaughterhouse since they were far too old to be worthy as breeders). I just made me very sad because I knew that I love a juicy burger but also couldn't kill my own food if I had to do it. On the other hand, I worry that if we don't eat cows, wouldn't they go extinct? It's not like people are lining up to adopt a cow or bull.

Anyway, ethical issues aside, what vitamins do you recommend to stay healthy? Do you just not miss eating meat after awhile? Please don't say "eat tofu" because I truly can't stand the stuff--regardless of how it's prepared. Many advance thanks for your advice!

Well, animal products contain a lot of B vitamins, and I don't think most vegetables do. That's the one I hear talked about most regarding vegetarian diets, so you might want to look into a B-complex daily vitamin. Iron would be another one I guess, but you can get a lot of that from leafy greens and a good multivitamin. I think there was a thread on this a while ago... I'll see if I can find it and bump it for you.
    Last edited by Tati; April 12th, 2008 at 07:14 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

You will fall off the wagon when you smell fresh crispy bacon.......
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My sister is vegetarian but eats seafood. I'm not sure if that's breaking the rules, but it seems to work for her.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    My sister is vegetarian but eats seafood. I'm not sure if that's breaking the rules, but it seems to work for her.
    That was me for 8 yrs or so. Just didn't eat MEAT. Can't stand the stuff personally--still can't. Though, occasionally I WILL eat bacon or a filet. But only if it's really cooked.

Regardless, this was back in the early to late 90's and I just substituted veggies and whole grain pasta's. I did eat tofu (sorry), and still do on a weekly basis. You may actually come to like it--it has no taste. It will take on the taste of whatever you are cooking. So substitute some tofu for cheese in a nice veggie lasanga. Or throw some cubed tofu in some steamed veggies over brown rice. You'd never know it was there except for the bizarre constistancy of it.

I didn't take any supplements.....so no advice there. Good luck.

I want you all to keep this in mind: NBC Today show had a research doctor who did a complete study of people over 95 who were still bright & self sufficient. I believ the number (this was an in depth study) was 435 or some similar number. Anyway THIS is what I found staggering: Some were obese. Some smoked. Most drank . All ate whatever they wanted (sweets,junk) BUT NOT ONE SINGLE ONE WAS A VEGETARIAN! He decided it was all a matter of genetics,but was totally shocked by the no-veggie thing himself! Wasn't expecting that. So I think if cows dying bothers you,you might be more upset with yourself going!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Dammit A*O this was exactly what I was going to post about..the irresistability of bacon. I do not eat ANY pork..except bacon! I lie to myself and tell myself there is a 'bacon' animal out there that the bacon comes from.

Now to the real topic:

I used to be a vegetarian..for a couple years back in the early eighties. I just found it difficult and tiresome..and eventually included fish..then chicken..then beef. never did take the pork back..except for the bacon.

I suggest good multivitamins, lots of cheese and dairy products(if you are not an actual vegan). Also beans, peas, legumes, etc. and soy products are very good. Soy based vegetarian chile can be really really good.

Beans, peas, legumes, dairy, soy products are staples..and are good for you as well. Also potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, Yacon, various Peruvian ground veggies, nuts, etc. are good and nutrituos. Not to mention the multitude of fruits and veggies.

good luck!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

It's pretty easy to drop meat from your diet, especially if you continue to eat dairy and cheese (and perhaps fish on occasion). I've done it several times as a detox and I think your system does benefit from being meat free for a while. HOWEVER, you have to be a lot more imaginative and adventurous in finding alternative sources of iron, protein and other important minerals so if you are a picky eater who doesn't like fruit, veggies, legumes and other 'weird' stuff you are in trouble. It can't hurt to take a good multivitamin anyway but you have to learn a bit about nutrition in order to be a healthy vegetarian like Adolf Hitler LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

you know they make really good soy products that aren't the squishy bland tofu.... seitan is awesome. plus, i quite like fried tofu and i am certainly not a vegetarian.

remember to eat good veggies and take vitamins. also, morningstar farms makes good veggie burgers and veggie corndogs. i love them.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    You're such a Heather (Mills)! Thanks for the whiff!

Thanks, everyone! This has truly been a HUGE help on the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I want you all to keep this in mind: NBC Today show had a research doctor who did a complete study of people over 95 who were still bright & self sufficient. I believ the number (this was an in depth study) was 435 or some similar number. Anyway THIS is what I found staggering: Some were obese. Some smoked. Most drank . All ate whatever they wanted (sweets,junk) BUT NOT ONE SINGLE ONE WAS A VEGETARIAN! He decided it was all a matter of genetics,but was totally shocked by the no-veggie thing himself! Wasn't expecting that. So I think if cows dying bothers you,you might be more upset with yourself going!
    Yeah, death not so good but being an atheist helps to have a healthier perspective on it. Gotta enjoy this life while it lasts!
    Last edited by Tati; April 13th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
    you know they make really good soy products that aren't the squishy bland tofu.... seitan is awesome. plus, i quite like fried tofu and i am certainly not a vegetarian.

remember to eat good veggies and take vitamins. also, morningstar farms makes good veggie burgers and veggie corndogs. i love them.
    yes..Morningstar is bases in this area and they have some very good products..although a bit $$$$ for me.

when I went veggie in the early eighties my best friends did as well( they infuenced me to do so in fact) and one of them..his mother..made the most delicious vegetarian meals using tomatoes, beans, cheese, soy products, veggies, peanuts, etc. These dishes she made were freakin' delicious! It can be done! If she was cooking for me..I could have just stayed a vegetarian..her stuff was that good. If your are going meat-free...the best thing you can do..is to learn to be a damn good and adventurous coo!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy Burnett View Post
    Yeah, death not so good but being an atheist helps to have a healthier perspective on it. Gotta enjoy this life while it lasts!
    Bacon,bacon,bacon!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Good PETA line:

Picture of a cute pig saying, "no, I don't have a spare rib."

There really are some GREAT veggie products out there as someone mentioned. They can be pricy, but worth a try!

I make my own black bean burgers--very simple! And I make a mean veggie chili! I love it in winter!!

Black beans, dark red kidney beans...they are your friend! Though maybe not your colons.

Thread Information