Thread: Restaurant dilemma: what would you do?

Default Restaurant dilemma: what would you do?

Here's the scenario: you're at a neighborhood restaurant for brunch. One of the dishes you order is a salad. To your dismay the salad appears with something not mentioned on the menu: a live slug! When you call the waitress over, she acts as if it's nothing, and says, "Oh its just a little slug." She then sticks her hand in the salad to remove the slug and walks away. What would you do?

yumsugar | To die for. - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.

Bronze Member

EEEEWWW!!! Tell the Manager why I'm walking out of the place.

Have words with the manager, for sure, and demand a refund.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Walk out. That's gross.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I would leave. Not because of the slug so much, but for the waitress just sticking her hand in my food and expecting me to eat it.

I'd ask for the fries instead.

Interesting fact tho, that salad was probably fairly chemical free, slugs have exeedingly delicate skin (just picking them up can burn them) so that lettuce was good stuff!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I'd make a really big scene and leave.

I would demand to see the manager. I would first bitch about the gross-ass slug in my food, then i would bitch about the waitress putting her fingers in my food to pick it out & expecting me to eat it. If i did not get satisfaction that way, I would make sure to loudly let other diners know the situation as i stormed out. And then i would contact the owner to discuss the situation. That's just unacceptable and gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post

Interesting fact tho, that salad was probably fairly chemical free, slugs have exeedingly delicate skin (just picking them up can burn them) so that lettuce was good stuff!
    Fussy slug, cute I'd no longer be hungry if that happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post

Yes, except that it means they didn't wash the salad.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Here's the scenario: you're at a neighborhood restaurant for brunch. One of the dishes you order is a salad. To your dismay the salad appears with something not mentioned on the menu: a live slug! When you call the waitress over, she acts as if it's nothing, and says, "Oh its just a little slug." She then sticks her hand in the salad to remove the slug and walks away. What would you do?

yumsugar | To die for. - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.

I'd either speak to the manager or leave without paying. That's completely unacceptable. I once found a fly in a salad and was given a voucher that gave me free food at that establishment for an entire month. That's a little OTT, but there must be a happy medium.

I would politely tell the manager that her behavior was unacceptable and ask for another salad. I don't see the point of making a big scene unless he/she was also unreasonable. Then you could write a letter to the editor and spread the word to everyone you know -- that will hurt them far more than blowing up at some underling.

This has actually happened to me with a slug, except the waitress was nice. I mean, bugs do get into food, especially salads. it's not that unusual. I had a bad experience once with finding a small rock in my soup. I told the person behind the counter, showed it to her and she threw it over her shoulder and refused to give me another bowl. It was very strange.

I left, but made a complaint in the suggestion box since no one in authority was around. The owner sent me a few free meal coupons and when I went in a while later to redeem one of them, the same waitress was there and she started yelling at me for getting her in trouble! Needless to say, I called the owner and told him why I wouldn't be returning, free meals or otherwise. Some people just don't get it, and she was one of them.

Thread Information