Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garlic

Default Garlic

Wondering how many of you guys like to use cloves of garlic or the already chopped garlic. Is there a taste difference to you between the two?

Default Re: Garlic

Hmm....I always use fresh cloves of garlic. To me there is a difference---I think fresh garlic is much more potent.

I use a lot too! I love garlic!

I love garlic too, and I use fresh cloves. The tool in my kitchen that gets the most use is my garlic press, I love it. I know I read somewhere someone that thinks they are pointless or useless or something (it was awhile ago), but I can't imagine cooking without mine.

Lil

I don't like the ready prepared garlic, I think it has a funny taste. Is it vinegar? And really, how hard is it to peel and smash up a couple of fresh cloves?
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I LOVE fresh garlic, and I make use of my garlic press almost daily. We are never without at least one head of garlic in the house. We do keep garlic powder around too, and I buy roasted garlic in a jar because I'm too lazy to roast it myself.

I use mostly fresh garlic and practically every day, but I also buy garlic powder, which has a different flavour and can be used for different things.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I usually use and prefer fresh garlic but I've tried chopped garlic that comes in a little jar b4. It had a stronger flavour and smell. I also use garlic powder.
    Garlic is good for your heart and I heard it can prevent cancer.

I've just roasted some garlic tonight so I'll be using that in my other cooking.

You can soak fresh or roasted garlic in oils (e.g. olive oil, sesami oil, oil with red pepper seeds) and also in soy sauce to make them flavoured. Not too sure how long they last but I think at least a couple of weeks.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Bronze Member

I read in a food blog once that this guy splurged on a bulb of organic, imported, gourmet garlic at a specialty shop, and that it was so different from the mass farmed garlic we get in grocery stores. He said it was soft when you pressed into it, sort of yielding, and a little bit moist --not hard and shiny like "pedestrian" garlic. Also, he said it was much sweeter and you could peel it and eat it raw.

I'm trying to eat healthy without crossing the line and becoming a fancy food snob, i.e., my ex!

Fresh garlic with my garlic press. Yum.

A*O

Aways fresh - and lots of it! Hint: when you are frying garlic be very careful not to overcook or it will become very bitter. Gently saute for no more than a minute just so the flavour/aroma is released. No more.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I love garlic, nothing like the smell of garlic frying. We just bash the garlic with the side of the cleaver, picked it up from my grandpa.
    yes ncy is a typo, that's what happens why i don't get my coffee.

I was just reminded this. I went to the store the other day and was looking for fresh garlic. I had to look for a produce person because I could not find the fresh garlic. Get aload of this the only "fresh" garlic they had was this huge-ass Elephant garlic. Oh and they had the chopped garlic in the jar. The produce guy was trying to get me to get both the elephant garlic and chopped garlic. I wanted the smaller cloves not a huge clove of garlic. He said they were out, duh, and he didnt believe they were going to carry the smaller garlic cloves anymore. This is a big grocery store chain. Give me a freakin break.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My dad's friend gave him an elephant garlic (which is kind of rare where my family lives) and he grew some in his veggie garden. It's huge but it tastes milder than regular garlic. It's not too bad.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Fresh for me too.

I love the elephant garlic. It is actually a member of the Leek family but I prefer it by far over the regular too pungent variety. Too bad it costs a fortune here. Before my roommate moved out I persuaded him(cooked ALOT) to only use the E.G. Of course I did have to pay for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information