Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you cut back on?

Default What have you cut back on?

It seems like every damn time I go in the grocery store, food prices keep going up. 2 weeks ago I bought a loaf of whole grain Sara Lee bread and it was like $1.99, 2 days ago I went back and it was $2.55 on "sale". Noticing the rising food prices I had to cut certain things out such as:

Soy Milk(I drink skim milk now which is a bit cheaper)
    Goya Brand Rice (a staple in a Puerto Rican's kitchen, cheapest one I could find was $7.25 for a half/lb bag )
    Steak and most lean cuts of meat
    Eggs ($2.50 for a dozen!!!)
    Cereal
    and Beer and Wine

I still buy my usual bread and health stuffs but I still feel the pinch. I'm also going to the farmer's market for fruits/veggies cuz it way cheaper than the store and I'm buying more non-perishables at Costco.

So what have you guys cut out to make the grocery bill smaller and how do you feel about these crazy prices?

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I eat out a lot so I'm not buying too many groceries, just stuff like fruit and snacks and a few basics but now I'm going on store brand on many things and whatever fruit/snack food is on sale. Produce has gotten stupid high! You can still get cheap canned fruits and veggies but the fresh stuff is too much.

Think over the price of eggs! You get a lot of mileage out of a dozen. Don't scratch them please!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gas is killing us. We are thinking about taking the bus now and trying to walk everywhere we can. I just looked at my monthly budget and it looks like we are gonna have to start cutting some of our food items. I can't believe this is happening. Oh crap. Now I hear that the buses probably are going to change schedules to conserve gas! GREAT. Thanks rich oil fuckers.

I was spending 60 bucks a month at Starbucks. So finally just decided to buy an espresso machine and make my own espresso drinks using Starbucks espresso roast and their SF syrups. I drink fewer lattes because it was a knee-jerk reacton-see Starbucks-buy latte but can have one when I want one at home. Usually my afternoon pick me up!

I had to cut out all my celebrity gossip magazines. Lucky thing I have this site to go to. :-(

Well, I actually stopped eating out, save for a special occasion or if my 'rents are paying. It's beneficial to my wallet and my waistline. With the money I've saved on fast-food and eating out, I can easily buy the groceries I need. Last week, I got a cart full of stuff (bread, veggies, fruits, milk, eggs, meat) for like $80. Not bad when you only do big shops like once a month.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

A*O

I've stopped drinking - partly to save money and partly to save my liver! The drought here is really pushing up the price of fresh produce so I look for more seasonal fruit and veggies just like my mother did before the days of air freight and mangos in winter.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

we've cut WAY back on eating in fast food places. also, we dont drive around aimlessly anymore. i used to like to drive and look at the rich peoples houses, things like that.

and eggs are now a luxury item. we're not milk drinkers, so we just get the small one if we want mashed potatoes, etc.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

We've stopped eating out. And I've pared down our grocery shoppping, too. My job was recently cut back to part time, so every little penny has to be accounted for right now. Not fun.

The price of produce is outrageous... I'd spend close to $40 buying fruits and veggies that would last me, at most, two days... cucumbers, lettuce, oranges, apples, avocados ($$$!!!!), tomatoes.. shit that grows in DIRT, basically, was sucking up a lot of my money. I buy in moderation now... not a lot at once... but they still charge me 90 cents for a friggin apple....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    It seems like every damn time I go in the grocery store, food prices keep going up. 2 weeks ago I bought a loaf of whole grain Sara Lee bread and it was like $1.99, 2 days ago I went back and it was $2.55 on "sale". Noticing the rising food prices I had to cut certain things out such as:

Soy Milk(I drink skim milk now which is a bit cheaper)
    Goya Brand Rice (a staple in a Puerto Rican's kitchen, cheapest one I could find was $7.25 for a half/lb bag )
    Steak and most lean cuts of meat
    Eggs ($2.50 for a dozen!!!)
    Cereal
    and Beer and Wine

I still buy my usual bread and health stuffs but I still feel the pinch. I'm also going to the farmer's market for fruits/veggies cuz it way cheaper than the store and I'm buying more non-perishables at Costco.

So what have you guys cut out to make the grocery bill smaller and how do you feel about these crazy prices?
    How much were the eggs before? They're more than that here and have been for a while.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

We cut back on going out for dinner but not really the food thats the problem. Me and my beau are slaves to the The Sims 2 franchise. On estimate, we fork out $100-$500 euros every other month for game software and internal upgrades, which we fix all ourselves btw. Now, were getting our kitchen redesigned and saving towards new furniture for redecorating the living room.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    How much were the eggs before? They're more than that here and have been for a while.
    That was actually the sale price of those eggs. Like a months earlier they were $1.99 a dozen, but I went to the grocery store again on Thursday and they were on regular price at $3.25! the grocery I shop at is the least expensive in my town, I've been to like Meijer and other chain places and it's over $3.50 for a dozen eggs

we went to buy simple old cooking oil, and it was 4.29! its usually 1.79.
    hmmph
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information