Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You accidentally order something out of your comfort zone, now what?

Default You accidentally order something out of your comfort zone, now what?

Recently my girlfriend went to sushi with her BF. She made the mistake of ordering a roll that featured unagi — Japanese eel — as the main ingredient. She didn't want to send it back, but it was definitely not something she felt comfortable eating. Luckily her boyfriend ended up eating the unagi, however her story left me wondering. What do you do when you accidentally order something out of your comfort zone?
    Source

You Accidentally Order Something Out of Your Comfort Zone, Now What?
    • I'm adventurous and would try the dish.
    • I would send it back explaining my mistake.
    • I would pick off the ingredient (anchovies, eel, Brussels sprouts, etc.) that makes me uncomfortable and eat the rest.

yumsugar | To die for. - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.

I've done this before. Usually I'll order something that looks healthy and when it comes drenched in dressing (that I asked for on the side) or cheese (that I asked be omitted), I'll either sit there and painstakingly pick it off or timidly tell the server that I told him my special request

This actually happened Friday night... I went out to dinner and ordered sunomono salad WITHOUT sesame seeds and they brought it to me with it.. I was ready to pick them off when my boy friend said, SUPER LOUD, "WHOOOOPS" and the waiter looked so embarassed.

Not very adventurous with ordering stuff I've never tried... if it's going into my body, I dont fuck with the unknown.

It depends as to wheather I'll say something. If it's something new I've never tried, but I did accidentally order it, I will most likely keep it and eat it.

If they get my order wrong, or accidentally add something like mayo, then I'll say something.
    Last edited by Laurent; March 5th, 2008 at 09:28 AM.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm adventurous so I would eat the thing unless it was a bug, or something. And unagi is awesome!!! Stupid woman!

If something comes out as it was described or as I requested it, but I simply realize I've changed my mind or don't want it, I won't send it back. I rarely send food back anyway, and I certainly wouldn't do it if it was MY mistake. If you don't like it, oh well. Now you know not to order that again.

If I saw a meal that looked good to me but had a main ingredient I wasn't familiar with, I'd ask the server about it. I don't think that not knowing what you're ordering is a good enough excuse for asking the restaurant to buy back food that they prepared correctly (assuming that when you send it back you also want it taken off of your bill).

Something sort of like this happened to me a few months ago. I ordered a martini in my favorite bar because that's just what I always get, and when it came, I realized I wasn't really in the mood for it. Our waiter noticed I didn't drink it and asked if there was something wrong with it. Even though I explained to him that I just wasn't in the mood for it, I could tell he thought that I hadn't liked it. I felt bad for him because I'd seen him prepare it himself. When I got my bill, I saw that he'd taken the martini off. I left him $10 to cover it anyway in addition to the tip.

My brother once ordered sashimi (I think that's what it's called), a big chunk of salmon wrapped around a little bit of rice. I ate it but had to fight the gagging, not from the taste but the texture. But I did at least try it.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

I say at least try to eat it. I hate sending food back. I don't want anyone in the kitchen to retaliate against me.

I'd eat it. I'd never send something back before I tasted it, it's close-minded.

I hate liver, but when dining at someone's house, I'll eat it so as not to be rude. I guess I just don't have a problem swallowing my pride.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I'm adventurous so I would eat the thing unless it was a bug, or something. And unagi is awesome!!! Stupid woman!
    lol i love unagi. i can't believe she didn't even taste it. i just don't understand being afraid of something you've never tried. it's one thing if it's a food you know you hate but also, she's a dumbass for not asking the waiter what it was before ordering. there's no shame in not knowing what something means, especially if it's in another language.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    If something comes out as it was described or as I requested it, but I simply realize I've changed my mind or don't want it, I won't send it back. I rarely send food back anyway, and I certainly wouldn't do it if it was MY mistake. If you don't like it, oh well. Now you know not to order that again.

If I saw a meal that looked good to me but had a main ingredient I wasn't familiar with, I'd ask the server about it. I don't think that not knowing what you're ordering is a good enough excuse for asking the restaurant to buy back food that they prepared correctly (assuming that when you send it back you also want it taken off of your bill).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    I'd eat it. I'd never send something back before I tasted it, it's close-minded.

I hate liver, but when dining at someone's house, I'll eat it so as not to be rude. I guess I just don't have a problem swallowing my pride.
    totally agree.
    (except i like liver, if it's well prepared)
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

She should have tried the unagi; I call it desert sushi because it is a bit sweet and rich in taste.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i usually just try it ... u never know

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    I've done this before. Usually I'll order something that looks healthy and when it comes drenched in dressing (that I asked for on the side) or cheese (that I asked be omitted), I'll either sit there and painstakingly pick it off or timidly tell the server that I told him my special request

This actually happened Friday night... I went out to dinner and ordered sunomono salad WITHOUT sesame seeds and they brought it to me with it.. I was ready to pick them off when my boy friend said, SUPER LOUD, "WHOOOOPS" and the waiter looked so embarassed.

Not very adventurous with ordering stuff I've never tried... if it's going into my body, I dont fuck with the unknown.

Well in your case you ordered it a certain way and it came out wrong. They should be making you a new one!! I've been busy and someone asks for dressing on the side, and I forget to put it in the computer that way, so the cooks put the dressing on it, Usually I realize before I bring it to the table because my memory is weird like that, and have the cooks make a new one real quick, but if I don't realize it, I will always have the kitchen remake it as a rush, it was my fault after all. I know people are hesitant to send stuff back because they are afraid something will be done to it. I can only speak for where I work and we don't care if you want it remade, we will do it, no one is gonna do anything to it. Beleive me there have been people who are so rude that you wish you could, but I'm not that kind of person haha.

I can't tell you how many times I have waited on people and maybe something was wrong, or the steak wasn't cooked enough, and they are very nice and you offer to have it remade, and they refuse to do it. I feel so bad. We had a guy, he steak wasn't cooked enough, so we remade it. So the server brought it out to him and he wanted her to wrap it up for him because he was gonna give it to his dog since he "saw that movie Waiting" (which is a great movie and people who are rude in restaurants should watch that before going out to eat, IMO) Anyway, he made her take a bite of his steak to prove that no one did anything to it. It was funny.

Anyway, back on topic. I feel that if I order something that I have never tried before and I'm really not sure if I will like it or not, and then it comes out and I try it but don't like it, I may not eat it, but I'm not going to send it back or ask for it taken off of my bill. Same with drinks, if I'm willing to try something new, and I don't like it, I expect to pay for it. However, I have taken things off people's bills if I go to a table and they have barely touched it, and tell me nothing was wrong with it that they just didn't like it, it wasn't something they had ever had before, but they tried it and didn't like it.

I'd much rather take something off a bill for someone like that than the people who come in and eat, you ask them how everything is after a minute or two, they say it's great!! all smiles, you refill drinks, make sure you are available if they need you, and when you go to clear the plates that they have LICKED CLEAN, they start complaining about everything...well, you should have said something when I asked you or whatever, before you ate the whole damn thing, there is nothing I can do now to make it better...

Sorry, this post was way longer than I expected or wanted it to be. End server rant..

I've never ordered anything out of comfort range (I love eel - the more the better) but on many occassion I will get my order and it will be wrong. I'm pretty mellow about it (I'm afraid to send my food back) except for the one time I order a stuffed pork chop and it was still raw not pink RAW. The waiter was such a jackass - with his fake accent he demanded to know what I thought was wrong with it. I was like, "it's raw" I had to repeat myself several times before he would take it back. The jerk brought it back after everyone else's plates had been cleared.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I've never ordered anything out of comfort range (I love eel - the more the better) but on many occassion I will get my order and it will be wrong. I'm pretty mellow about it (I'm afraid to send my food back) except for the one time I order a stuffed pork chop and it was still raw not pink RAW. The waiter was such a jackass - with his fake accent he demanded to know what I thought was wrong with it. I was like, "it's raw" I had to repeat myself several times before he would take it back. The jerk brought it back after everyone else's plates had been cleared.

I hate servers like that, they act like your crazy for not eating raw food. I had a woman order the grilled salmon. Well I brought it out and when she cut into it it was still raw in the middle. So I walk over to the table and said, is everythi....OMG. So whatever I asked her if she wanted a new one or something else or what, she ended up ordering something else cuz at that point she was grossed out, she ate for free that day, the manager and I felt so bad, but whatever she left happy! That is after all..MY JOB.

I'm a pretty adventurous eater and also have trouble understanding this "fear of food" phenomenon. That said, I have no trouble returning food if it's not what I ordered or raw. I ask politely, I smile, and I've only had a couple of waiters act like asses about it, which is inexcusable, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information