Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm never eating out again!

Default I'm never eating out again!

Scroll down on this site and browse through the calorie content of these restaurant menus. Holy Christ No wonder we have a weight problem in the US.

Calorie Counter (CalorieLab)
    Coffee is my happy drug

I found this out a while back... a meal with drinks and appetizers is about 8,000 calories...Freaking ridiculous!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Just have a bread stick

It is pretty ridiculous. I mean, you expect a higher calorie count when you eat out, but some of the totals are just way beyond what you would ever imagine. One could easily think they're being a little "bad" and will just make up for it the next day, when in reality they've had enough calories for a week in one meal. It really pisses me off when some salads are absolutely loaded with fat and calories. What are they doing, injecting the lettuce with grease?

Of course there's an element of personal responsibility involved, but I do think some menu items are just unreasonably - and unfairly - over the top.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

That settles it, I'm never visiting the US. Having to diet for a few months just to fix the damage of a ten day holiday just isn't worth it.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

This is part of why I don't get annoyed at nicer places with small portions. Yes, they charge high prices, but I'm going to assume they're using higher quality ingredients, more expensive decor and so forth, and just suck it up. At least they're not trying to stuff me to death. I'll take a tiny serving of grilled fish and fresh vegetables over a giant trough of pasta, thanks. There are plenty of reasons to get annoyed with some yuppie joints, but small portions shouldn't be one of them, imo. It's something they do right.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Heh, I think the rule of 'the fancier the restaurant, the smaller the portion' is the same in all countries.

^ Indeed.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

It's not so much the quality of the food (most of us who have to watch our weight know what's 'good' and 'bad') - it's the quantity. US food portions are grotesquely huge and a meal for one could easily feed a family of 4 sometimes.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

You don't have to eat everything they put on your plate. You also don't have to order all of the fatty things on the menu. Skip appetizers and desert. Share an entree!! Eat a salad...you can dine out, but do it wisely!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's not so much the quality of the food (most of us who have to watch our weight know what's 'good' and 'bad') - it's the quantity. US food portions are grotesquely huge and a meal for one could easily feed a family of 4 sometimes.
    The few times I've eaten at American chains like Applebee's here, I was shocked at the portions-I literally couldn't finish a hamburger (the actual burger, I didn't even touch the fries) and I'm not one of those people who just nibbles at food. Hell, my boyfriend at the time couldn't finish his either, and he's a 6'4 guy!

So it doesn't have something to do with food additives/preparation? A few American friends of mine have complained about how hard it is to find food without shitloads of crap like corn syrup added to it, and a friend of mine who studied in the US was telling me about how girls at his dorm kept putting on weight from the cantine food even when they were watching what they were eating and just ordering salads (I presume not drowned in mayonnaise-based dressing, though he didn't remember such details).

You don't have to eat everything they put on your plate. You also don't have to order all of the fatty things on the menu. Skip appetizers and desert. Share an entree!! Eat a salad...you can dine out, but do it wisely!
    Oh, definitely, you're completely right. I've just seen some things you would not expect, like salads with 3600 calories or steaks that have been drenched in butter for extra flavour and "sheen" (there's a thread here somewhere). You might order grilled salmon but it's been drenched in butter, or steamed vegetables that are coated with oil or a glaze. That's frustrating.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

Corn syrup seems to be a very common ingredient in foods where you wouldn't expect extra sugar, eg, brown 'healthy' bread. I remember it was almost impossible to buy a loaf of unsweetened wholemeal/grain bread in any supermarket. Mind you this was in Orlando so we aren't talking gourmet city LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Corn in different forms is being used more and more in all kinds of food and it isn't a good thing for most people. It is not only hard to digest, fattening, but also not particularly nutritious. It is a cheap filler, tho. Corn prices are on the rise because of the demand.

I agree about the huge portions in the States. I've seen American tourists complaining about portions sizes here and I've been surprised because to me, the plates were big and they were full. Another thing is plate sizes are MUCH bigger now than they were even 20 years ago.

I often share entrees, appetizers etc. and I usually ask for dressings and toppings on the side. If they won't do it, I don't order it.

I would sit at my computer at look up calorie counts for everything... a lot of stuff has more calories than you'd care to know... it's ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information