Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would mandatory cooking classes help childhood obesity?

Default Would mandatory cooking classes help childhood obesity?

In an effort to tackle childhood obesity, secondary school students in the United Kingdom will be given practical cookery lessons. That's right, they're going back to the days of home-ec. They're hoping that basic cooking skills will encourage teenagers to cook their own meals and stop their dependency on processed foods.

The full plan is expected to be announced today by Schools Secretary Ed Balls. There's worry that there will be a shortage of teachers and equipment, but if all goes accordingly, schools that currently offer food technology classes (85 percent of all schools) will have to teach basic cookery skills. The other 15 percent will have to follow suit by 2011.
    What do you think? Do you think that mandatory cooking classes will actually help childhood obesity? Would you want a similar program put into place in America?
    Source

</H1>yumsugar | To die for. - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.

I think it's a good idea. It may be the only introduction to healthy food some kids have ever experienced. Maybe it's because i love to cook and my mom loved to teach me everything she knew about cooking, but i find it sad that so many people cannot cook themselves a decent meal. I have friends who are in awe when i make things from scratch. One friend could not believe i made my own soup stock instead of just buying it from the store. I know our lives are quite a bit busier now, and i don't always do everything from scratch. But i think it's unhealthy to live your life eating processed/prepared shit chock full of preservatives and chemicals instead of experiencing what real food tastes like.

sounds like a great idea. if it were up to my husband he would eat a frozen pizza every night. so i think he married me just because i like to cook and i think i am pretty good at it.

Yes, good idea. There's nothing better
    than simple real foods not smothered
    in salt and chemicals. Make kids do P.E
    everyday in school, and stop serving them
    garbage.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

A*O

In theory of course it's a great idea. But if these kids live in a home where take out and junk food is the staple diet you are going to have to get the parents (who probably don't know how to boil water) on board too.

Back in the Stone Age when I was at a (public/state) high school we had a Home Economics block with TWO fully equipped industrial-size kitchens where we learned how to cook basics like shepherds pie, scones, mac cheese, quiche etc. Nothing fancy or expensive but healthy nevertheless. I was very lucky to have a mum (and dad on occasions) who knew how to cook so home cooked food was the norm and going to a restaurant or, shock, getting take out Chinese was a HUGE treat but I know that times have changed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching kids the basics of healthy diet. The problem is getting them to put it into practice.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Did someone already say No? Well then I will.
    Maybe when they are teens but not while they are between 5-12.
    I have tried to get mine interested in the basics thinking it would be fun but no. They don't really care.

I don't think this will get teenagers to cook their own meals at home, but it might make them more inclined to cook proper meals when they move out from home and get children of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    I have friends who are in awe when i make things from scratch.
    That's sad. I like to cook from scratch, and it drives me crazy when I am trying to find good recipes on the internet and half the recipes call for something already made, like a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup. Recently when looking for a cole slaw recipe, I found one that called for a jar of cole slaw dressing. Geez, like I couldn't have figured out for myself that I could just chop the cabbage and carrots and add ready made dressing to it. Arg, it's one of my pet peeves.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I took home ec; that was cool. We learned nutrition and got to do stuff like bake cookies and cook quick dinners and eat them which was kind of funny because I had the morning hour.
    I agree regarding annoyance with excessive use of already prepared items in a recipe. Argh... it's not that hard to cook decent food usually with minimal ingredients.

it can't hurt.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Ohhhhh don't get me started on recipes with canned mushrooms, beans, potatoes, corn, carrots, etc...... I will make an exception for canned tomatoes though. They are almost indispensible and life it too short to blanche and peel fresh tomatoes.
    Dame Edna Everage

I think mandatory cooking classes are a great idea, that whole generation will have no excuse for eating nothing but potatoes and pasta!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

This could be very good if it actually focused on the basics and healthy eating. I know in my high school's Foods class, which was an elective, the teacher just wanted it to be a popular and well-liked class, so they never did anything but bake.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

This all good ...but..

I recently saw an article(damn I should have posted it) about food and eating patterns..particularly in rural and urban(not suburban) areas. In the article they mentioned how difficult it is for people in rural and urban areas(poorer people of course) to get to sources(stores) where they could get fresh ingredients. Many of these people could not afford to travel the far distance they needed to get to the produce, and in fact the produce was more expenisve than the crap. They gave examples of how in some rural counties, there were virtually NO grocery stores with fresh produce(and if they did have them, if cost alot of $$$). Instead they just had the cheap small chains that carry junk.

Until people have access to reasonably priced fresh ingredients, the problems will remain. And I know some of you live in areas where fresh produce is plentiful and relatively inexpensive-count yourselves lucky as it is NOT that way in many areas of the US.

I will tell you..I know from experience. I have to watch my pennies and look at several different stores. I live in a town of 5,000 people with NO grocery store. I have to travel 7-10 miles(and use that gas) to get to a grocery store(People who do not drive here are fucked and have to shop at the convenience stores). And I can tell you that beside carrots, onions, and potatoes, produce is relatively expensive. Try comparing produce to the cheap mac and cheese dinners they have. And they almost always have the cheap processed crap ON SALE much more often than the produce. Produce is just expensive compared to the 'pasta and potatoes'-which are a staple of my diet unfortunately. I can get 3lbs of pasta for 1 dollar..10 or fifteen pounds of potatoes for a dollar and half.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I think it's a great idea. Obviously, there are going to be issues, like finding reasonably priced fresh items but it's great to see that the government is taking a multi-faceted approach to reducing the obesity in children.

Side note: We did Family Studies in grade 7 and 8 and I LOVED it. We cooked, baked and learned how to care for children (as best they can teach children). I wish more kids could have the privilege of a truly caring and innovative teacher because it turned me onto these things for life.

A*O

I think even teaching kids to cook their own mac cheese or risotto or noodles with store cupboard basics is better than getting a takeaway Big Mac. It's the process of actually cooking a meal that might inspire them to experiment, read recipe books and generally gain a better understanding of food and nutrition. I understand that access to affordable fresh produce can be a problem, but with a little imagination and perhaps taking a few 'risks' (people are still incredibly conservative and unadventurous about food) then maybe a few future fatties will discover that cooking isn't a chore, it's a pleasure.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information