Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The kitchen's burning! - Cooking disasters

Default The kitchen's burning! - Cooking disasters

Okay I remember when I was 11 years old I wanted to do something nice for my mom's b-day. So I went and got some eggs and bacon to make her breakfast. Well after frying the eggs I (stupidly) put some oil in a pan and let it heat up a bit, after that I put in 6 big strips of bacon in and let it cook.

Like the dumbass kid that I was I went to my room to play some video games. After a few minutes the smoke detector went off and I smelt smoke. Uh oh!, the overflowing pan of oil and burnt bacon was on fire and my mom ran down to the kitchen to extinguish the fire. After the fire was put out, half the kitchen was black with smoke and the old oven we had was beyond repair. Mom was pissed because the new microwave she got was damaged in the fire. Happy B-Day mom

So share a kitchen disaster that you went through.

This isn't really a disaster but this Christmas my husband's daughters and their two young daughters came over and my niece and I made sugar cookies with them.

We got two batches in OK, then put the third batch in and then the usual nuttiness and dysfunction occurred -- one of the grandkids has severe, untreated ADHD (that's a whole other story) -- and the cookies were forgotten. About 15 minutes later hubby smelled something burning -- yep, it was the cookies.

I'm more inclined to make things then forget to put them on the table than I am to burn them, lol.

My son decided to cook his own chicken nuggets - and he's only four. Mind you I was at work and Daddy wasn't quite watching as closely as he should.

He put four nuggets on plastic plate and set the microwave for eight minutes. Needless to say the plate melted with the nuggets on it and the house filled with smoke.

I think I was more ticked off at my husband than my son when I found out.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

this reminds me of when I was in high school I was at my bf's house cooking, I was turning a burner on the stove and my bf was calling me into the living room, I threw a kitchen towel onto the counter by the stove and went to see what he wanted.
    Anyway I smelled smoke and so did my bf, I ran into the kitchen and there was a FIRE!!! The towel was on fire because I had thrown it towards the wall where part of it was on the back burner which I had accidently turned on, I ment to turn on the front burner ( I feel stupid even now). Anyway my bf put out the fire and helped me cook dinner. I think he forgot about that but it's something that I still remember and it's embarassing.

Also when I was in high school my bf and I used to smoke alot (you know what I mean ) When we got the munchies sometimes we would make smores over the toaster. Well, at one time I dropped a marshmallow into the toaster and left it there, I forgot about it until my mom was making toast and suddenly she starts shouting and screaming FIRE!!!! She unplugged the toaster and threw it in the sink where she poured baking soda on it and kept hitting it with dish rags. Now that i'm thinking about it, it's sort of silly. she didn't find out I did it, she thought a piece of bread fell off and caught on fire. I cleaned up the mess and my boyfriend and I pitched in to buy her a new toaster.

my favorite and most famous is the kitchen incident of 1991. we had been married days. literally. hub worked graveyard and was sleeping so i decided i would make some popcorn. the kind where you put a bit of oil in the bottom of the pan, and put a couple of pieces of popcorn in the bottom. when they pop the oil is hot enough. sounds simple eh?

let me tell you, i do NOT know how to cook. at all. anyway, so while i was waiting for the oil to heat up, i decided to show my new husband what a good wifey i was, and started to clean the bathroom. oh yeah, i dont clean either. The next thing i hear is my son who was 8 at the time screaming 'FIRE FIRE' I came running out of the bathroom to see the entire stove, and the walls surrounding the stove on fucking fire. i ran to the bedroom room, screaming 'SCOTT GET UP, FIRE FIRE'. he got up, ran to his car, got the fire extinguisher out, put the fire out. he shot me a dirty look and went back to bed. Because the smoke was everywhere, someone called the fire department. the kitchen ended up being a 70% loss. and to this day i am banned from the kitchen.
    ps. i went to kmart the next day to get new pots and pans. a lady was looking at the same stuff that i burned. she said 'this is pretty nice' and i said 'hmm, it doesnt last long at all' true story
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^Too funny. What do you guys do for food if you don't cook? Or does hubby cook?

^^^ hub is a great cook. i can make it if it goes in the microwave. he loves to cook. i have it made
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^I've NEVER been in an intimate relationship with a man who could cook. *sobs* So I end up doing it and even though I usually enjoy it, there are many days, like today, where I would love it if hubby made me dinner for a change!

I was boiling a pot of beans, and my husband calls me to pick him up at a friends house (who only lives about 5 min. away). I told him I had this pot on the stove, and he tells me to just zip over and pick him up. When I get there, friend's wife greets me and asks me to come in for a while, and the fact that I have this pot on the stove completely slips my mind. 2 hours later, we come home, and my husband's dad is waiting for us (we lived right next door to in-laws at the time). They happened to notice a smell coming from our house, and using their key, went in to find the kitchen filled with black smoke. My FIL turned off the stove, opened all the doors and windows, turned on the ceiling fans and took out the now charred pot of beans. I was in tears at the prospect of what could have happened, while my husband was trying to console me while at the same time trying to hold in his laughter.

When I was seriously preggo with kiddo number one, we were also seriously broke. I was making a chicken and veggie stir fry and we were out of garlic...so I skimped the soy sauce and added garlic salt, which we had.

Hubby came some time later while it was simmering and, not tasting it, added some more garlic salt. Then I had second thoughts about lack of soy sauce and added just a shot.

Needless to say, the whole thing was WAY too salty when we tried to eat it, but there was at least 15$ worth of ingredients in that wok, so we didn't want to just throw it out. We began adding random ingredients to try to battle the salt...a can of kidney beans, chopped boiled eggs, spinach....anything we could find that didn't already have a planned purpose...things that don't go in stir fry but MIGHT be edible and cut the salt. The more we added, the worse it got, until the wok was teeming over with a big, gooey mess of yuck. We threw it away and put Pizza on the credit card.

*sigh*
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I've jacked up bread on may occasion, but my biggest mistakes have been in my cast iron pan. I've set it on fire three times this year, due to negligence while cooking. It's not so bad to just throw flour on it (they were all oil fires), but one time I threw sugar on it by accident. It left thick, black goo all over the pan and the stove. It took a bit, but I still have the pan and managed to clean up all the tar-like goo.

The most expensive mistake I made was overcooking some very expensive steak and mushrooms, along with over spicing them to the point that they were inedible. It would have been cheaper for us to eat out at the expensive sushi house. *sigh*

Gold Member

i try to be really careful, i've cut my hands slicing fruit or vegetables, and of course burned myself while near the stove

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I'm dangerous in the kitchen but I LOVE TO COOK... I poured a pot of boiling water on my right foot. That was really scary.
    I did make something not too tasty a couple of months back; I had turkey breast filets and fresh rosemary and I don't know what else but it all ended up in a pan but the flavors were not appetizing AT ALL... even the stray cats near the dumpster didn't touch it.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

No disasters "cooking" but I did have a microwave catch on fire while I was melting microwaveable facial wax. It was brand new. Thank heavens they replaced it.

That was interesting.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

ARGH! I made pumpkin bread tonight, something I can do with my eyes closed, but I'm out of practice. They didn't even RISE! Probably too much moisture? DAMN IT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information