Thread: Exploding Food

Default Exploding Food

Share your exploding food story here.

My paternal grandmother was a very stern and stubborn woman, Georgina Edith Graves by name. Every Christmas morning without fail she would rise earlier than usual in the pre-dawn hours and begin making the plum pudding for NEXT Christmas. Why she did this on such a busy day, no one knew. It drove my mother and a couple of her own daughters crazy. She routinely fed at least 40 people on that day -- her six children, a couple of dozen grandchildren, various guests and hired men.

One morning there were about a dozen of us huddled in the living room -- we were banned from the kitchen until the pudding was done -- when there was a terrific explosion. It really sounded like a small bomb had gone off. We all rushed to the kitchen and it was a mess. Plum pudding and shards of glass everywhere. And my poor grandmother (even to this day I don't dare call her by any other name and she's long dead) was standing in the middle of it shellshocked, covered in the stuff.

A horrible minute passed and then someone started to giggle. Before we knew it, adults and children were all howling in gales of laughter. My grandmother, however, was NOT laughing. With as much dignity as she could muster, she walked past us into the washing-up room, leaving us all to clean up the mess.

Needless to say we didn't have plum pudding that Christmas. But we had it the next. And the next and the next, until her eldest daughter convinced her to let her do Christmas at her big new house where plum pudding was not on the menu.

Default Re: Exploding Food

I can't even begin to remember all of the things I have had explode in the microwave. Had to find out the hard way that trying to cook eggs in their shells in the microwave is not really a good idea(duh). Same thing with chicken Kiev. Had been canning home-grown tomatoes and had one blow up after I had taken it out..I still have faint stains on my kitchen ceiling from that.

A*O

My husband's ill fated attempt at home-made beer exploding all over the (clean) linen cupboard full of towels, sheets, quilts, etc was a moment to cherish.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My boyf likes Brussels Sprouts ( I think they're evil) I spent ages cooking him a roast, then popped it in the microwave to make sure everything was hot as I'm still not good at timing everything yet. 30 seconds later and "kaboom" "kaboom" "kaboom". Looked at the dish and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, until further inspection the roof of my microwave was covered in sprouts.

Ever see what happens to marshmallow peeps in the microwave? They get really really big and then "pop"!
    Keep passing the open windows.

My mom almost drowned when a can of pop blew up, it went up her nose. She wasn't trying to open it even, she just picked it up, boom mom was covered in pop and choking. We still have a good laugh when we think of it. She had a can of biscuits blow up sticking to the ceiling. It was a hot day and she was putting them away after shopping, boom, biscuits on the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.
    My mom almost drowned when a can of pop blew up, it went up her nose.

Bronze Member

My friend tried to make instant noodles in the microwave at another friend's house. He was using the single use styrofoam containers, where you add water, then put the whole thing in the microwave for a few minutes. BUT he forgot to add the water and there was a terrible explosion in the microwave. Then a terrible burnt metallic smell spread through the whole house and woke everyone up (this took place in the middle of the night). The microwave BROKE and the smell stayed in the house for a week!

Thread Information