Thread: Egg nog suggestion

Default Egg nog suggestion

I'm an egg nog addict the time of year. Its not for everyone, and it shouldn't be! Its soooo fattening. So I've been working on my recipe to cut down the fat while keeping most of the flavor/ambiance and here's the conclusive recipe.

Egg nog for one:

Add one cup of Silk soy egg nog
    1/3 cup Southern Comfort non-alchoholic eggnog
    1 tsp cinnoman

to a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat until warm and slightly frothy. If you want it really frothy, add it to a mixer and froth it up, by all means. Add a shot of rum and you're good to go
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

^^ I've had that Southern Comfort Egg Nog, and it's not bad! I wasn't sure how nog out of a carton would taste, but it's pretty good.

We make a punch bowl full every year. I try to restrict myself to one glass, because I drink the full octane stuff.

We found a recipe last year that allows you to cook it, so it's not a bowl full of raw eggs:

4 egg yolks
    1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 pint whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    3 ounces bourbon
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    4 egg whites

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
    Eggnog Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    ^^ I've had that Southern Comfort Egg Nog, and it's not bad! I wasn't sure how nog out of a carton would taste, but it's pretty good.

We make a punch bowl full every year. I try to restrict myself to one glass, because I drink the full octane stuff.

We found a recipe last year that allows you to cook it, so it's not a bowl full of raw eggs:

Eggnog Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
    Yeah, I LOVE the real stuff (not out of a carton) But I wasn't sure about making a whole batch just so I could mix it with soynog ;P
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I occasionally juice mine up with a little more bourbon than that recipe calls for.

'Tis the season, and all that!

.... you mean I could make my OWN egg nog? It doesn't all come out of a carton?

Oh GOD, I feel completely cheated out of years that I could have been having amazing HOMEMADE eggnog rather than the other stuff!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

A*O

Ughhhh - the very idea makes me retch. Reminds me of that hideous thing we used to drink in scuzzy UK pubs called a "snowball". Advocaat, lemonade, some other shit and the mandatory glace cherry on a stick. Tres sophisticated.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The idea makes me retch too! This (egg nog) is just an American thing is it? I have heard of it but never tried it or seen it here.

It was traditionally served as a 'warm up' drink when visitors came in from the cold at xmas time.
    Do it anyway

not a fan. it's the type of drink that tastes good on the first sip, then makes you queasy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Nice tradition, but the ingredients make me a little

It must be very rich in taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    It must be very rich in taste?
    Very.

Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with the metabolism of a hummingbird, either, so I have to watch my intake.

Honey I think it's basically heavy cream, some vanilla and spices (cinnamon, clove, etc.) if you get it out of a carton. Whatever egg it has, you can't taste it. It's like liquified ice cream, it's yummy and I can never have just one cup!

If I ever see it I shall try it, as am curious.

Gold Member

Fellow Eggnog addict here... I buy Broguiere's eggnog, it's from a CA farm and it's sold in a bottle. As store bought eggnog goes, it's pretty good. I usually fill my glass half with eggnog and half with lowfat milk. Then I spike it with lots bourbon or cognac or sometimes both.

I made homemade eggnog a few years ago and it was good, but it's lighter so I could really taste the booze-not that I'm complaining
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Thread Information