Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking for 35, cheap, need ideas!

Default Cooking for 35, cheap, need ideas!

I have to provide food for 35, mostly 12-14 year old basketball players, cheerleaders, and their coaches, and I need to do it somewhat inexpensively.

Any ideas out there??

I have until January, but I figured I'd better start planning now. These meals are for the kids between school and their basketball game. Some parents are doing sloppy joes, pizza, etc., on their assigned days.

Thanks!

causa peruana
    (peruvian potato and tuna roulade)

there are a ton of ways to make it, it can be fancier and more expensive if you add shrimp and avocado but a cheap way to make it is as a roulade.
    basically take cold mashed potatoes (quite firm, ideally with yellow potatoes), spread it out on a rectangular baking sheet lined in saran wrap. maybe about an inch thick.

the filling is basically tuna (canned, in water), mayo, olive oil, salt, pepper, and any kind of seasoning you want, maybe some chopped veggies (carrot, celery, red bell pepper, etc).

spread the filling out on top of the mashed potatoes. also about an inch thick. then lift the saran-wrap and gently roll it onto itself, lengthwise. it's basically a log-shaped potato-tuna roll.
    garnish with black olives, red peppers, avocado slices, little dollops of spicy mayo (mayo and paprika powder), pretty much whatever you want...

these blogs have causa recipes and tips. most of them are in little individual terrines or pie-shapes but i find the roulade is the way to go for big dinners. i think it not only looks nicer, it's also easier to make.
    Peru Food: Causa: A Unique Potato Starter
    Peru Food: Recipes: Causa
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm thinking plain ol' spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic bread! That age group likes simple & plain. Flollowed by cup cakes you make the day before.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    causa peruana
    (peruvian potato and tuna roulade)

there are a ton of ways to make it, it can be fancier and more expensive if you add shrimp and avocado but a cheap way to make it is as a roulade.
    basically take cold mashed potatoes (quite firm, ideally with yellow potatoes), spread it out on a rectangular baking sheet lined in saran wrap. maybe about an inch thick.

the filling is basically tuna (canned, in water), mayo, olive oil, salt, pepper, and any kind of seasoning you want, maybe some chopped veggies (carrot, celery, red bell pepper, etc).

spread the filling out on top of the mashed potatoes. also about an inch thick. then lift the saran-wrap and gently roll it onto itself, lengthwise. it's basically a log-shaped potato-tuna roll.
    garnish with black olives, red peppers, avocado slices, little dollops of spicy mayo (mayo and paprika powder), pretty much whatever you want...

these blogs have causa recipes and tips. most of them are in little individual terrines or pie-shapes but i find the roulade is the way to go for big dinners. i think it not only looks nicer, it's also easier to make.
    Peru Food: Causa: A Unique Potato Starter
    Peru Food: Recipes: Causa
    That's a great idea for my master's grad party two weeks from now. I'll be serving about 40 people munchies -- it's not a sit-down dinner -- but I always like to provide some kind of main dish that doesn't need to be served hot. I've made a whole baked salmon with curried rice salad before that always goes over well, but it might be nice to have something a little different.

Thanks, sputnik!

^^^
    you're welcome!
    this is probably one of the first things i ever learned to make, from watching my mother - her wifely duties included throwing cocktail parties and dinners at a moment's notice and this one was always favourite. got a ton of compliments and you'd never guess it was so easy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Great ideas, keep 'em coming!

Mild buffalo wings and dip, mini pizzas, deviled eggs, meat patties, mini burgers, tuna melts, individual portions of baked ziti.
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

Well, you can try the rolled lasagne recipe. The individual rolls make it easy to serve. BUT, you must come back and tell me whether it was "kid friendly"!

See post #25

My vent about my recipes

I vote for pasta as well. A big pot of penne with a light, fresh tomato sauce, tossed or caesar salad, cheesy garlic bread. Cheap, tasty and not too messy.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

It sounds more like an afternoon snack instead of dinner that you are looking for? I would think you would need something light since they still have a game to play, right?

I would do something like roll-ups and wraps (anything from chicken, tuna, shrimp, cheeseburger, club, veggie, etc.) or the party sandwiches (chicken salad, tuna salad pimento cheese, BLT, swiss, lettuce and mushroom, etc.) a nice fruit and veggies platter, chips, you could make different dips.

quick, fast and easy recipes | dip recipes
    Sandwiches and Wraps Recipes - Main Dish - All Recipes
    Last edited by Sweetie; November 26th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Elite Member

How about chili? Make it simple with no chunks of tomatoes or veggies in there, just meat and beans. Kids usually like things plain. I use canned tomato sauce, chili beans, and packages of mild chili seasoning (not everyone likes hot), and add fresh cooked ground round. It's cheap (buy generic cans or get name brands on sale) and quick. Serve with bread, and get some cheese and sour cream for mix-ins.

Also, have you considered tacos?

The spaghetti idea is a good one too.

Also, a big pot of soup served with bread on the side could be good.

I was going to go with chili, too. Although, the walking taco is big in the Midwest. Get a bowl, crush up tortilla chips, put meat on top and they can add whatever toppings they choose. Eat it like a salad.

You could buy bread rolls and make chili bowls with them.
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    It sounds more like an afternoon snack instead of dinner that you are looking for? I would think you would need something light since they still have a game to play, right?
    Right, it doesn't have to be a huge, heavy meal, they have lunch at school at 11:00, and play at 4:30.

I like all of these ideas! Thx!

My first thought was Taco's or even Chicken Fingers and Tater Tots. I like the idea of easy Pasta and Garlic Bread too.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information