Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contents of your refrigerator - Similar to growing up?

Default Contents of your refrigerator - Similar to growing up?

Do you have some of the same foods in your refrigerator now that you had growing up?

Elite Member

Not at all!

I have asparagus, green onions, mushrooms, yogurt, milk, grape juice, bottled water, swiss cheese, apples, ground flaxseed - none of which my mom ever bought. I have no idea how I grew because our meals were very devoid of nutrition. We never even had milk in the house. I can't imagine not having milk for growing kids.

^^I can! Mother frowned on milk (unless for cereal) as a drink for anyone over 6 months old! She used a LOT of fresh vegtables-we had 3 or 4 every night. She never once served meat loaf or macaroni & cheese! All fresh,all the time. Me-not so much!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We always had milk because my dad was the milk man. Seriously. I only keep it in small quantities though. I've come to believe that milk is only necessary for baby cows. You can get plenty of calcium from leafy greens. It's just hype from the milk industry that tells us otherwise.

My parents' fridge has always been very healthy and they don't keep ANYthing tempting in it. My mother figured if it wasn't in the house, we were far too lazy to go buy it.

My fridge is fairly similar, but I'm a little less disciplined than her.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I have the bare essentials, but they are pretty close. The only thing my Mum would "tsk" would be my margarine. I refuse to give it up no matter what, at lasts longer, is cheaper, and is at the perfect consistancy for spreading on bread. When they make a butter that even comes CLOSE or if I ever make more than 26Gs a year, I'll do butter.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

My contents are somewhat different, but not radically so. I have a lot more spicy condiments -- in fact, my friends call me the condiment queen -- but my mother was a good, and pretty health-conscious cook for her time. She's even more so now.

We lived with my grandparents for a few years. This was the man that provided my vegetables. Except for fresh salad, it was all frozen, canned or boil in bag.

The Jolly Green Giant.

In the far left of the refrigerator were these items.
    Not exactly steamed crab in Old Bay Seasoning.

(That's herring in sour cream)

Some of the stuff is the same. We ate a lot of frozen veggies growing up, especially in the winter. In the summer, we had a lot of fresh veggies. A lot of the staples are the same. Things like rice, potatoes, egg noodles, soups, etc. My mom always cooked a nice dinner for us.

Chalet...Steamed crabs and Old Bay I'm a Baltimore girl!!

My fridge is completely different from my mum's, she is one of those people who concentrates on work and family, and food kinda comes last, so she's not the world's most amazing chef. Her fridge is usually full of milk, butter, cheese, sandwich meat, ready to put in the oven meals and pies and such, and always something for dessert for my dad. My own fridge is usually full of salad, mayonnaise, eggs, juice and beer haha.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Silver Member

No. I have--

bok choi, napa cabbage, mung bean sprouts, sugar peas, onions (3 kinds), apples (3 kinds), lettuce (3 kinds), spinach, oranges, cranberries, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, soymilk, tomatoes, walnuts, bell peppers (2 colors), beer, and various condiments.

I grew up with typical SAD garbage.

More or less, yeah. Lots of fresh veggies, cheese (though my mum kept a lot of varieties), yoghurt, fish, chicken and chocolate.

I have similar tastes to my mother-neither of us cares for processed foods and we both rarely eat read meat. Of course, there are differences: growing up there were always red peppers and really hot spices around, which I loathe. My mum also loves nuts, which I can take or leave, and I never buy juice unless I have people over (I prefer freshly squeezed stuff). Oh, and I've developed an unfortunate habit for diet coke, even though we never had soft drinks in the house when I was growing up.

not really. the fridge in my house growing up actually had food in it! mine is usually empty except for coffee and milk and mustard.
    but when i do buy groceries, there are similarities. i tend to buy lots of fresh veggies, meat (usually chicken, beef or fish), fruit, yoghurt, cheese (lots of varieties).
    my mum's fridge usually had leftovers, fresh veggies, frozen veggies, milk, juice, tons of sandwich condiments (mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, etc), pickles, butter, cheese, pumpernickel bread, meat, yoghurt, etc... my mother is a great cook and we never ate processed crap, always home cooked.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

I was 19 when I moved out on my own and that was when I discovered just how bad our diet was the way mom kept it back home. All processed foods. We had been making our own meals sans mom since we were in middle school and the options were, lets see: Chef Boyardee, Pasta Roni, Pop Tarts, the list goes on.

Now I'm 22 and have realized I like mushrooms, olives, sushi, so many things I had never tried (tons of fruits & vegetables!)

It's tough and of course I have some pre-packaged things in the cupboard, but I'm trying to make my fridge resemble that of my parents the least amount possible.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Not even close. I grew up eating a lot of beans and cornbread because my parents didn't have a lot of money. We ate that at least twice a week, and everything else was fried in Crisco.

I keep the fridge stocked with lean meats, veggies and low-cal/low-fat foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information