Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Sauce lovers?

Default Hot Sauce lovers?

Do you love hotter than hot - hot sauce?

Tell me why. I understand the love of really spicy foods, cooking with chili peppers, hot salsa, but I don't know how one's palate can take the really hot sauce.

Is it even possible to taste the actual flavor of the sauce on the tongue when it's beyond hot? Is it the experience more than the taste?

Did you grow up eating it or have you developed a palate that can withstand anything?

There are one's that, um, are advertised as "a bum burner". Ouch.

When I catch one of those chili peppers in thai food I absolutely suffer.

For me, my tolerance to heat has increased with time and usage. I started out with a little sprinkling of crushed red pepper, or jalapeños, and slowly over the years I found I had to keep increasing the amount to get the same kick I wanted.

I remember when I was a kid my parents would put a lot of red pepper on pizzas. I would taste it and be overcome by the heat, thinking, "how can you even taste anything with your mouth on fire and in pain?" Now I'm finding the same is true with me. Ten years ago the amount of pepper and heat I find palatable now would have had me in tears. I think it's definitely a tolerance thing.

I am the same way with the chili peppers in thai food, they get me crying. Ditto for the peppers/spices in Indian food. But I love it, must be a glutton for that kind of yummy punishment.

Again, the more often I eat those foods, the more I can tolerate it. I prefer fresh jalapeños, or even the pickled ones. They're less painful on the, um, way out!

I love love hot sauce (not the grocery store kind either). I buy mine for a
    jamaican store in my area. It's made with scotch bonnet pepper and water, so
    you are pretty much eating raw pepper. I don't have problem with tasting my
    food either, a lot of people have told me it will kill my taste bud... i cannot eat
    without having a few dash of it in my food, i sometimes put chili pepper in my
    drink
    I am so used to it now that if i eat without having a dash, i feel nauseous
    and the food taste really bland.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I grew up with really bland casserole food made from boxes (60's working mom, the dawning of the packaged food era) so I had to start using chilis and the like once I became an adult. My dad did use tabasco sauce though. As kids, we thought it was terrible, but I love it now - in moderation.

I now love spicy food and can tolerate what would be considered moderate. Like yoyoma, I find that I need a dash to liven things up. Dashes of anything hot - be it chili, curry, tabasco, garlic, ginger - all that stuff makes life and food so interesting!

Love it! Any kind-except that weird sweet-hot. Everything tastes better with a little perk-up. Does not have to kill your tongue to be good-just a bit.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

This reminds me of the time some friends of mine had a guy visiting from the south of India. He loved to cook so he wanted to make food for everyone. He promised it wouldn't be too hot since South India is really, really known for its hot spicy food. So we sit down to eat it, and I could not take more than a single bite. It was excruciatingly painful. I told him - THAT's mild??? What's HOT to you??!! It would probably send me to the hospital and even the morgue.

I love hot food, but Chalet, you're not supposed to eat the hot peppers in Thai food. They are for flavour only! You silly girl, lol.

Yeah, they say you're not supposed to eat them. But I eat them anyways! I like them. Like I said, glutton for punishment!

Besides, nothing like my mouth being on fire to make me feel ALIVE!

I love the Scotch bonnet sauce too. I've gotten this one that's sweet and it really helps soften the heat. Ran outta that one real fast cause my husband and I put it on everything.

We also got this other one Dave's Insanity Sauce or something that was all heat, hardly any flavor. Don't recommend it. It tasted like mace. Or what I'd imagine mace to taste like anyway.

Gold Member

I'm glad to find that I'm not a weird one! I fixed some peppers a few weeks ago for a dinner with friends. I was the only female that could eat them and the men were breaking into sweats! I actually like the flavor of jalapenos. I throw them on salads, pizzas and sandwiches. Anyways, what I fixed was a pepper jelly. You just dice up some peppers and heat them up with a jar of apple or strawberry jelly. Once it's completely liquid, you pour it back in the jar. Turn the jar over to let it reseal and you've got a much cheaper version of that sweet pepper jam from Tastefully Simple. The other thing I did was fry up some pork sausage and threw some sage and seasonings into it. Stuffed that into the jalapenos and put some cheddar on it. THAT was hot! Because of the way I cut the peppers, it was hard to get all of the membrane out. You know, where all the hot is. You'd be chewing and then boom!, mouthful of burn which wasn't the goal.

We keep a good stock of powders and sauces around here to help spice up our foods. I like hearing of some other brands. I'm not crazy about the Dave's Insanity Sauce for the same reason mentioned. So far we keep coming back to the Red Devil and the Bullard's Louisiana Sauce.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

^That's sounds yummy (the sweet pepper jam). I am going to try it. What kind
    of pepper did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I love hot food, but Chalet, you're not supposed to eat the hot peppers in Thai food. They are for flavour only! You silly girl, lol.
    Believe me, it's not on purpose. They're on the fork and boom, I'm on fire.

You have to keep an eye out for them, lol. I've done it too and regretted it.

my momma makes what we call chow-chow. Its a blend of all kinds of peppers plus onions and garlic.... we eat it on EVERYTHING! I grew up in Louisiana and we've always eaten the food with spice.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I remember having to drink tabasco sauce for a dare when I was young....and thought I was going to die.....15 years on I have it within arms reach if I have a beer close too.

The taste receptors of the tongue react to different flavours of the rainbow wherever its placed. It wasnt that you didnt like it - You didnt eat it properly. Or it was shit food

I think I ruined myself on hot stuff when I was younger. My senior year we had the typical end of the year races and competitions between the classes and somehow I got talked into doing the jalepeno eating contest. I ate 7. I didn't really chew them except for a couple times each, I just mostly choked them down with water, but it didn't really matter cause even so I couldn't friggin taste anything for a couple days. And if I thought they were bad going in, that was nothing compared to what they were like coming out (sorry if that's TMI).

To this day I am an extreme wimp when it comes to spicy stuff. I start to sweat when they set down the salsa in front of me at a Mexican restaurant.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information