Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avocados 'could prevent mouth cancer'

Default Avocados 'could prevent mouth cancer'

Avocados may prevent mouth cancer and reduce the rate of cancer cell growth, new research suggests.
    Extracts from Hass avocados, readily available in supermarkets, were able to kill some oral cancer cells and prevented pre-cancerous cells from developing, according to scientists at Ohio State University.
    They believe the fruit works because of its high level of phytochemicals - plant compounds thought to have health-protecting qualities, and often found in dark coloured fruit and vegetables.
    Lead author, Steven D'Ambrosio, said their study was the first of its kind.
    "We think these phytochemicals either stop the growth of precancerous cells in the body or they kill the precancerous cells without affecting normal cells," he said.
    Avocados are also full of beneficial antioxidants, including vitamin C, folate, vitamin E and unsaturated fats.
    Mr D'Ambrosio said more research was needed into the benefits of avocados and other fruits on cancer cells.
    "The future is ripe for identifying fruits and vegetables and individual phytonutrients with cancer preventing activity," he said. The study will be published in the journal Seminars in Cancer Biology.

Avocados 'could prevent mouth cancer' | the Daily Mail

Gold Member

I love guacamole.

Silver Member

Yes! Another reason to eat guacamole!

I have a baby food cook book and it is extremely thorough about foods to make and give your baby and details as to a foods strengths and weaknessees (ie vitamin/mineral content, sodium, etc).

#1 on the list for babies: AVACADO!

My 3 yr old ate them like they were going out of style when she was just starting on solids and my now 6 month old will be trying them this week for the first time. They are said to be awesome for babys development and one of the few 'near perfect' foods for them. And adults!

I have never tried an avocado. Does that make me weird?

^^^Might be an aquired taste Paperdoll---the consistancy of it is a tad odd. But hell, give it a try!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My 3 yr old ate them like they were going out of style when she was just starting on solids and my now 6 month old will be trying them this week for the first time. They are said to be awesome for babys development and one of the few 'near perfect' foods for them. And adults!
    My folks have avocado trees in their backyard, so we grew up on them, Avocados are sooo good. That's cool your little one likes them.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes that is cool. My dad planted an avocado seed in the backyard when I was a kid. It grew into a tree and produced the fruit. He was the only one in the family who would eat it which he was very happy about. This was before guacamole was "invented" ! And it was SoCalif!

Mmm, I love them sliced up on a bagel with cream cheese and a little salt. So yummy.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I love avocados. On a salad sandwich, guacamole, or just sliced..yum.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Zee

Didn't realize that they were so good or you. I love them sliced on sandwiches or in a salad.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I tried planting one in my backyard, it didn't grow past 2 feet. I was so disappointed because I could eat Avocados everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

So how do you pick a good one? Going food shopping and would love to get some and perhaps make fresh guacamole.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

SVZ

Avocados are amazing! They're basically like eggs when it comes to nutrition

I hate avocados. It's a whole texture/weird taste thing to me. Now, I can eat guacamole if it has a lot of lime juice and salt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information