Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your best/worst Thanksgiving dinner

Default Post your best/worst Thanksgiving dinner

My best was the year I made the Morton Thompson's turkey and stuffing recipe posted here on the recipes thread. The worst, well, that was one I spent with my mother's new husband and his psycho daughters and grandchildren. Everything was burned and raw -- but they kept saying how great the meal was and fishing for compliments. I actually gagged on the turkey -- parts of it were still frozen!

A*O

Default Re: Post your best/worst Thanksgiving dinner

We didn't do Thanksgiving in the UK, and we don't do it on Oz either - THANK GOD!!!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The last year we were all home before we started to get married and had other lives. My mother made a big turkey, which she is usually good at, but the stuffing, which looked great, must have been cooked in the Dead Sea, as it contained so much salt it was inedible. Mom, of course, claimed it tasted fine to her. Queen of Denial, that one.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Well, I tried to make a turkey one year... my ex-boyfriend's mom ended up coming over and cooking it for me because I was screwing it up. It was pretty humiliating, because I was trying to be all domestic and she thought I was an idiot for not knowing how to cook (because I'm a girl ).

The next year, she took us to a very fancy hotel for Thanksgiving, and we had a very expensive dinner in the dining room... it was horrible. Here's a tip... avoid gourmet food on Thanksgiving - go with traditional, comfort food every time, or you will regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    We didn't do Thanksgiving in the UK, and we don't do it on Oz either - THANK GOD!!!

Thank god?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! Thanksgiving is the BEST holiday in the WORLD. It's a holiday built around spending time with friends and family, stuffing your gob, and watching football on TV. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all, plus you don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on stupid gifts that nobody wants anyway! It's just about food, fam, and telly. Mmmm, LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    Thank god?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! Thanksgiving is the BEST holiday in the WORLD. It's a holiday built around spending time with friends and family, stuffing your gob, and watching football on TV. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all, plus you don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on stupid gifts that nobody wants anyway! It's just about food, fam, and telly. Mmmm, LOVE IT.
    That's called Christmas in Canada and Oz.

I've never understood why Americans have their two biggest holidays within a month of one another. Makes no sense to me that people should spend huge amounts of time and money travelling and visiting family twice in one month. Why not spread it out a little? In Canada it's in October, which is still too close, IMO.

I've never much liked Thanksgiving anyway. It basically celebrates stealing land from indigenous peoples, not to mention massacring them in a variety of ways. People have lobbied to get rid of it in Canada since it's just an excuse to make money -- we never used to celebrate it until merchants got wind that it was another excuse to buy things. I'm not usually PC, but this is one holiday I can easily do without.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    That's called Christmas in Canada and Oz.

I've never understood why Americans have their two biggest holidays within a month of one another. Makes no sense to me that people should spend huge amounts of time and money travelling and visiting family twice in one month. Why not spread it out a little? In Canada it's in October, which is still too close, IMO.

I've never much liked Thanksgiving anyway. It basically celebrates stealing land from indigenous peoples, not to mention massacring them in a variety of ways. People have lobbied to get rid of it in Canada since it's just an excuse to make money -- we never used to celebrate it until merchants got wind that it was another excuse to buy things. I'm not usually PC, but this is one holiday I can easily do without.

I can do without the moralizing and guilt trips, thanks. Heard it all before.

I have no control over when Thanksgiving is celebrated and I'm certainly not going to be made to feel guilty or inadequate because it falls a month before Christmas. In FACT, I think it's a GOOD thing...since the Christmas season starts in fucking September in the UK and I'm bloody SICK OF IT by December. I'm sick of it NOW. In the US, at least we have two holidays in the fall (Halloween and Thanksgiving) to break up the season so it's not constant CHRISTMASCHRISTMASCHRISTMAS from the time the kids go back to school in the fall.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

HAPPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been fasting sos I can stuff, bloat, and barf tomorrow !
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; November 25th, 2005 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    I can do without the moralizing and guilt trips, thanks. Heard it all before.

I have no control over when Thanksgiving is celebrated and I'm certainly not going to be made to feel guilty or inadequate because it falls a month before Christmas. In FACT, I think it's a GOOD thing...since the Christmas season starts in fucking September in the UK and I'm bloody SICK OF IT by December. I'm sick of it NOW. In the US, at least we have two holidays in the fall (Halloween and Thanksgiving) to break up the season so it's not constant CHRISTMASCHRISTMASCHRISTMAS from the time the kids go back to school in the fall.
    I'm confused. Where did I say you had control of when Thanksgiving is celebrated? This post was addressed to the board, not to you in particular. You have a right to respond but My opinion is MY opinion, I'm not asking anyone to share it much less feel "guilty" or "inadequate." Huh????

As for the moralizing and guilt trips, that is your perception. I am again stating MY opinion. Mine and mine alone. I don't really care what you've heard before as I have no way of knowing that.

Stop taking everything so damn personally, DH. Sheesh. It's not all about you, ya know.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Best Thanksgiving? How about every single one where family doesn't implode, get drunk, puke on the turkey or start fist fights. Worst one? This one is already showing signs of becoming a champion day from hell. Can you tell I've been cooking in extreme pain from my stupid ass arm that needs surgery? I finally understand why Dr. Gregory House is such a pain in the ass on his show. Pass me more Vicodin.

^^ If I had any, I sure would. How about Tylenol 3 with codeine. Hehe. Are you at least getting people to stir and chop things for you, Gator?

I usually call ANY meal my family eats together the Eugene O'Neill reunion supper -- the one where a huge fight always erupts out of nowhere with one or more people sulking and getting mean drunk. Christmas is the worst, but the potential is always there.

I love Thanksgiving--favorite holiday ever. I don't think I have EVER had a bad Thanksgiving--I love seeing family, eating, watching football--it's great.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise View Post
    I love Thanksgiving--favorite holiday ever. I don't think I have EVER had a bad Thanksgiving--I love seeing family, eating, watching football--it's great.
    Same, less the football.

T-day is the only holiday I want to celebrate, the rest I could care less about.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

In the spirit of Turkey Day something semi-smutty I lifted from another board -

Things You Can Only Say on Thanksgiving!
    1. Talk about a huge breast!
    2. Tying the legs together keeps the inside moist.
    3. It's Cool Whip time!
    4. If I don't undo my pants, I'll burst!
    5. Whew, that's one terrific spread!
    6. I'm in the mood for a little dark meat.
    7. Are you ready for seconds yet?
    8. It's a little dry, do you still want to eat it?
    9. Just wait your turn, you'll get some!
    10. Don't play with your meat.
    11. Just spread the legs open and stuff it in.
    12. Do you think you'll be able to handle all these people at once?
    13. I didn't expect everyone to come at once!
    14. You still have a little bit on your chin.
    15. How long will it take after you stick it in?

^^ Thanks, Gator. I needed a good laugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information