Thread: Has anyone tried cooking for 1 month?

Question Has anyone tried cooking for 1 month?

A friend of mine mentioned a book/cookbook that she has that has a plan for cooking enough food for an entire month on the weekend & putting it in the deep freezer to be warmed for supper & lunches. It sounded interesting & I was wondering if anyone on GR has tried this or a similar meal plan. I just wanted to know how it worked out.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Silver Member

I've only cooked for a week. I cook a bunch of stuff that can freeze and use it during the week. Beans, tomato sauce, soups and so on. I think one month is too far ahead, at least for me. Plus, it would turn me off to open the freezer and know I have food already. Kinda like a little spontaneity.

Cooking enough food for a month over a weekend sounds like Heaven to me. I love to eat, but get little satisfaction from cooking on a daily basis. When I make spaghetti, lasagne, beans, black-eyed peas, stuff like that, I make a ton of it, then freeze it in portions. I also have found frozen bread dough at the grocery store, that bakes up tastily, with little prep. Doing a lot of dinner prep everyday just makes me feel trapped. Like to have stuff in the freezer. That cookbook sounds interesting...
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

A*O

I don't think I could survive for a whole month without some fresh fruit/veggies. Frozen stuff just doesn't taste the same even if you cooked it yourself. It's prolly easier to go out and buy 30 McCains frozen TV dinners! LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm with A*O on this one I don't like food after it's been frozen it just doesn't taste the same I'm sure some stuff would be fine like soups and what not but I just can't see me having frozen burgers and I like my damn burgers
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

The consistency of the food changes too much for me to enjoy most frozen meals (same with canned). I also have a hard time with leftovers in general. I do cook some things like rice and potatoes for a week's worth of servings at a time, but that's about as far in advance as I go, and I don't freeze anything besides meat. I buy bulk and repackage it into individual servings and cook every day. Then again, I have the time to do that whereas a lot of people might not.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Thanks for the imput everybody. I think I will try it out next weekend, but I might just do 2 weeks & see how it works out. Sometimes, I can't be bothered to cook everynight, but my family needs to eat so I will see how this goes.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

I used to take leftovers to work for lunch, but would heat them up in the microwave at about 10:30 am, eat them, and then go out and buy lunch anyway. Sigh.

Eating fresh fruits and veggies is not cooking, that's just eating fresh fruits and veggies, which are delicious and great! You can just eat them, or serve them with a minimum of prep.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

It sounds like a good idea at first, and i have thought about doing something similar in the past. The problems i have with this are... 1. I rarely think frozen meals taste nearly as good as freshly made ones. 2. The type of food I'm craving and sounds wonderful today may not float my boat next week.

I tried cooking for a month. Fixed myself pasta every day for four weeks. Am over it now. Back to take out.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Yes, i do it all the time (i love cooking). I only cook for 2wks at a time though,
    cause it's true the taste and texture changes over time.
    I make sure that i have varieties to choose from. For example i always
    make rice but not just by itself (i always add chickpeas for extra flavour),
    vermicelli noodles + mixed vegetables. I roast up some chicken, fish, and
    beef as a compliment to the above main course.
    It took me a while to get used to it cause i always make my meals from
    scratch everyday two times a day but i started working two jobs and just
    didn't have enough time to cook. It really frees up a huge chunk of time.

Chilly Willy, i tend to order out once in a while if i get sick of eating the
    frozen food. I reconsidered eating out when i sat down one day and calculated
    how much i spent in a month on eating out (over 400$) and that quickly
    changed my mind to going back to cooking my own food.

I am a rice fiend (almost always steamed) but I never considered freezing it. Do you just put individual servings in little freezer baggies? I'm not sure what to do with it. What other things, besides chick peas, have you added before freezing?
    Playful~

Thread Information