Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. McDougall - vegan diet

Default Dr. McDougall - vegan diet

After reading in another thread about Dr. McDougall's vegan diet from aabbcc, I took several of his books out of the library, and read through them.

I thought it was very interesting, but I found some of his recipes kind of boring.

I've been doing the vegan thing for a week now and feel great. Went to the in-laws for dinner last night, where it was pot roast on the menu. I took a very tiny piece of meat and ate a bite, and didn't enjoy it at all. My MIL is a great cook, so I know it wasn't her cooking.

Eggs have been freaking me out for a few years now, and I must say, I haven't missed the meat this week. Using soy milk in my oatmeal, made a really yummy vegan bolognese sauce (my own creation ), lots of rice and bean wraps and veggie stuffed pitas with a modified hummus (no oil).

The only strange thing is that I normally don't eat bread, I just don't care for it. But man, I've been craving bread like crazy this weekend.

Does anyone else eat vegan? aabbcc - have you devised your own recipes, or do you mostly follow the McDougall's recipes?

I like a lot of his recipes, but I've been eating this way for a really long time. The McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook is one of my favorite cookbooks.

Many vegetarian and vegan cookbooks are easily adaptable to this way of eating. With vegan books especially, all you have to do is just omit the oil from a lot of recipes and they are McDougall-friendly.

A couple of other cookbooks that I highly recommend are Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings, Table for Two [one of my all-time favorites!], and the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. She uses very little oil and her recipes are all very easy to make and very dependable.

Books by Jo Stepaniak

And here is a neat blog that I found a while ago. She posts recipes that look very healthy and don't seem to use much oil either, so it would be easy to omit it.

Vegetarian Meal Plans

One more ... lots and lots and lots of lovely McDougall-friendly recipes here. This woman is a McDougaller too!

Fatfree Vegan Recipes

And her very popular blog. She posts recipes here as well.

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen
    Last edited by aabbcc; June 11th, 2007 at 03:58 PM.

The Fat Free Vegan recipes look great!

I can't wait to make some of those dishes. I'm going to sit down and plan my meals for next week, then go shopping.

Yahoo!

veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com

These are some local vegan chefs/authors who I've heard are pretty good. I'm not a vegan, but I have friends who are.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; June 11th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

^^ That's a good one too. I can't believe I forgot Bryanna. I get her newsletter and I have all her cookbooks!

I should go sit in the corner.

I am soooo going to check out all those sites.

I really want to improve my health and I've been reading a lot of McDougall's stuff.

I love meat and butter and stuff but I also love potatoes, beans and rice etc, so maybe I can make that change.

aabbcc:-

Did I read on another thread that following this diet cleared up a health problem for you? How much better do you feel now than what you used to?

Thanks, guys!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow to be a vegan is an amazing thing; this i know, but its sooo incredibly hard! i cannot believe how hard it is to be a true vegan. i mean to me, its hard. you might not think so if your convictions about not eating anything animal are that strong and good for you, but for me, it would be nearly impossible i swear!

if you're craving bread like crazy, yer not getting enough proteins. I used to get that after doing competitive swimming.. i'd come home and just devour 6 hot dog buns, and they tasted like JESUS.

It means your body needs a quick source of energy because it doesnt have any longer digesting sources to draw on.. ie, meats. Carbs are the next fastest thing to be metabolized after alcohol.

Put more chickpeas in your diet or something protein like that comes in veggie format.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    if you're craving bread like crazy, yer not getting enough proteins. I used to get that after doing competitive swimming.. i'd come home and just devour 6 hot dog buns, and they tasted like JESUS.

It means your body needs a quick source of energy because it doesnt have any longer digesting sources to draw on.. ie, meats. Carbs are the next fastest thing to be metabolized after alcohol.

Put more chickpeas in your diet or something protein like that comes in veggie format.
    Maybe a small steak?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

that would defeat the purpose of going vegan
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hi Moog ...

My family on my father's side has a history of poor circulation in the lower extremities. My father, had he lived, would have lost his leg because of it, his brother lost both of his legs, and his mother lost her foot. I have it, too, in my left leg, and for years suffered from pins and needles in my foot and ocassional dead leg - no feeling at all in the leg. I also have rhuematoid arthritis [lucky me!].

As long as I remain faithful to McDougall, I am perfectly healthy and feel great! You know, I am always amazed at how powerful the emotional attachment to food is. Dr. Dean Ornish [who has proven that heart disease can be reversed by following a low-fat diet] once said that he finds it rather shocking that society thinks having their chest ripped open and their heart cut into is a perfectly normal and reasonable thing to do, yet merely changing the way they eat is scary and radical! Wow!

I read somewhere that a person who eats the Standard American Diet has an 85% chance of having a heart attack or stroke in his lifetime. A strict vegetarian [no meat, eggs, dairy] has about a 12% risk. If you remove the free fat [oil and margarine], your risk becomes almost nil ... providing you don't have some underlying medical condition.

I'm not preaching to anyone here, I just find this stuff really interesting.

I'll be honest, if I wasn't occasionally seduced so wonderfully by cheese and cream now and then.. I would be vegan.

I don't eat meat, fish or eggs or drink milk, but I do like good cheese and cream. Eggs seriously gross me out for a lot of reasons, so I use an egg substitution and soy milk when I cook and I've never had anyone complain about my baking! In fact everyone loves my stuff! I've never had anyone not have second helpings or a second cookie! Anyone that says good vegan cooking is an oxymoron is barking mad!

Powell's Books - La Dolce Vegan! by Sarah Kramer

I'd recommend any of this woman's books on veganism, they are simple, easy and kinda fun recipes too.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^^

I'm kind of iffy on her. I have all three of those books and the recipes don't work for me at all. I also don't really care for her almost obsessive need to have silly photos of herself plastered on every other page. It's a cookbook, not a personal photo album.

Okay, I'm busted I just like looking at tattooed chicks.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Hi Moog ...

My family on my father's side has a history of poor circulation in the lower extremities. My father, had he lived, would have lost his leg because of it, his brother lost both of his legs, and his mother lost her foot. I have it, too, in my left leg, and for years suffered from pins and needles in my foot and ocassional dead leg - no feeling at all in the leg. I also have rhuematoid arthritis [lucky me!].

As long as I remain faithful to McDougall, I am perfectly healthy and feel great! You know, I am always amazed at how powerful the emotional attachment to food is. Dr. Dean Ornish [who has proven that heart disease can be reversed by following a low-fat diet] once said that he finds it rather shocking that society thinks having their chest ripped open and their heart cut into is a perfectly normal and reasonable thing to do, yet merely changing the way they eat is scary and radical! Wow!

I read somewhere that a person who eats the Standard American Diet has an 85% chance of having a heart attack or stroke in his lifetime. A strict vegetarian [no meat, eggs, dairy] has about a 12% risk. If you remove the free fat [oil and margarine], your risk becomes almost nil ... providing you don't have some underlying medical condition.

I'm not preaching to anyone here, I just find this stuff really interesting.
    Thanks for your reply!!!

That's amazing about how you don't feel troubled by health problems so long as you follow the diet. I love reading about the Star McDougaller's on Dr McDougall's site. It's sooo inspiring!

Cancer is the main health problem that runs in our family.

I picked up a book yesterday in a second-hand bookshop. It's for veggies mainly though one third of the recipes are vegan. The other recipes could mostly be adjusted to make them vegan anyway.

I can't wait to get started. Will start slipping in a few vegan meals here and there and see what my husband thinks too, hehehe. I love Lebanese and Indian food and there are some great recipes for that. I am also encouraged at how cheap this way of eating looks compared with what I am buying at present.

I love the Dean Ornish quote and it's so true isn't it? We've almost come to think being fat and sick is normal and that healthy eating is radical.

What almost put me off this diet before was the fact I am hypoglycaemic. I've had the proper glucose tolerance test and everything so it's "official". I thought I couldn't manage to feel satisfied without meat protein. I'm not even that crazy about red meat - never eat steaks for instance. But I was surprised that Dr McDougall even treats diabetics with this diet. So I'm giving it a try.

Something keeps pulling me back towards this type of eating. My father was a confirmed carnivore and my mother ate vegetarian most of the time when he wasn't around, so I'm not unfamiliar with a lot of that style of food.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information