Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is completely unhealthy and I dont know what to do...

Default This is completely unhealthy and I dont know what to do...

I have this slight fascination with nutritional information.
    So.. I looked up a lot of foods that my family normally enjoys just to see what the numbers were...

A member of my family typically has this during a regular weekday:

Burger King Breakfast Biscuit with bacon, egg, sausage, and cheese:
    570 calories / 40 g fat / 13 g sat fat
    Burger King Hash browns:
    258 calories/ 16.6 g fat / 4.6 g sat fat
    Medium Sprite:
    204 calories / 0 g fat

Tyson nuggets (9 pieces):
    405 calories / 31.5 g fat / 6.8 g sat fat

Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese:
    529 calories / 25.7 g fat / 10.6 g sat fat

That's 1966 calories / 113.8 g fat / 35 g sat fat
    and that's not including various snacks eaten during the day.

Based on the FDA, the recommended fat intake for this family member is maximum 75 g a day...
    I'm sad because this family member is so young.. and I can tell if they continue to go on this path they'll have lots of health issues in the future.
    I'm the first to admit that I used to eat this way for much of my childhood and it caused me a lot of eating problems when I tried to stop (starving, binging, purging, laxative abuse, etc).
    Being in a family with a history of eating disorders, I dont want them to develop an unhealthy sense of self, but honestly my plead goes unheeded and the majority of my family continues to eat this way alienating the few of us that choose to eat somewhat healthy foods.

Any advice on what I should do?
    I cant really talk about it that candidly because I'm already known as the 'Diet Nazi' in my family.

Good Lord, this child's mom needs a good firm talking too....and a nice healthy cookbook.

ever since i was hospitilized with Diabetic Ketoacidosis last month, we have been scared straight. we've had no fast food since April 24th, and what a difference its made, in our health, our weight and our pocket book. we used to do drive thru 3 times a day!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    Any advice on what I should do?
    I cant really talk about it that candidly because I'm already known as the 'Diet Nazi' in my family.
    Given the label your family has given you the best thing you can do is back off. I know I'm the type of person to continue a bad behaviour just because someone else is pestering me to stop, gives me more incentive to dig in my heels and prove my life is mine It sounds like your family might be the same.

Try approaching it from a passive-aggresive manner. Don't mention or look at what they're eating. Introduce your fave low calorie/low fat foods without mentioning that it's healthier or anything along that line.

Become a buddy with this young person, take an active interest in their entire life (not just what they're eating). Eventually he/she will start emulating what you're doing, including your eating habits especially if you make a point of having an outing that includes a healthy (& appealing to them) meal.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    ever since i was hospitilized with Diabetic Ketoacidosis last month, we have been scared straight. we've had no fast food since April 24th, and what a difference its made, in our health, our weight and our pocket book. we used to do drive thru 3 times a day!
    I am so glad to hear that! I was worried about you, but didn't like to say so.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

dayum msdebagain! good for you!!! i'm off fast food too but i still eat baja fresh is that bad stylejunkie?!

3 times a day?!

the MSG alone in that would give me a stroke!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    dayum msdebagain! good for you!!! i'm off fast food too but i still eat baja fresh is that bad stylejunkie?!
    I'm a sucker for Baja (or Ba-Jah Fresh, as Paulie called it), Rubio's or Wahoo's!! Otherwise, I stay away from fast food.

A*O

I am shocked - there is absolutely NO fresh fruit or veggies in that menu. It's ALL processed/fast food. I dare you to calculate the sugar content too. And people wonder why there's an obesity/diabetes epidemic. Is this person buying this food for themself, or is someone else doing so? Are they making these choices through laziness or ignorance? Call me naive but I am truly stunned that people still have no fucking clue about healthy eating. And you don't even have to give up your favourite junk food - just have it once or twice a week - not 3 times a day for chrissakes!! [breathe, breathe....]
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I was wondering about the age too; you mentioned (s)he was young - is (s)he old enough to buy this junk for his/herself or is someone providing it for them? If it's the latter, it's pretty much out of your hands, but if it's the former, I like western's idea - Lead by example. I know my younger cousins look up to us older ones so we try to set decent examples for them.
    A*O, I have a coworker who REFUSES to eat ANY kind of vegetable, save potatos. He doesn't any more than the other men there, but what he eats is all meat, starches, and fried shit. I know I succumb to the occasional fried chicken/fried Oreos/french fries craving, but this guy will literally not eat any vegetables at all. Needless to say he's quite overweight and all I hear is him breathing all day, it's like working with Tony Soprano.

Fried Oreos - could someone please explain??? are we talking about the chocolate bikky? cause if we are thats just fooking disgusting.

im shocked that someone can eat all that shit and not feel the slightest bit guilty. im getting covered in a grease slick just thinking bout that diet.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

So sad. I dont wonder about why people are obese. I have to roll my eyes when people say 'hows this happening!' Because people are eating too much shit and not exercising, duh.

And honey if you're counting calories on the packets all the time, you're going to go crazy. I dont believe in that, or scales. Of all my obsesssions, i'm glad weight and food isn't one of them. I'm slim, i feel great, i eat properly (junk food and other goodies in moderation) and dont concern myself with numbers! Its much better.

As for the family member, i know you're concerned but you cant take it on. You can tell them to eat healthier and use your experiences as an example, but its up to them to listen and take action.

I actually feel ill, bloated and low energy when I don't have fruit or veggies for a day or two. I love my potato chips and dip and french fries the same as anyone, but I rarely eat them so that when I do, it's a treat. I can't even remember the last time I ate fast food -- most of it smells and looks so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I am so glad to hear that! I was worried about you, but didn't like to say so.
    aww thanks! i always tell hub, i havent pissed off enough people to die now
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Ok.. well theres no sense in keeping it a secret, but this person is my brother.. he's 11 years old and has to weigh at least 150 pounds... he refuses to weigh himself in front of me because of my weight issues... perhaps in the past I've gone about this in such a way as to earn my title as 'Diet Nazi.' My mom really does try... she goes through spurts of really trying to integrate healthfuk foods into my brothers' diets but it never sticks.. partly because she's never home and partly because he's old enough to go to the cabinet and get out a bag of potato chips or microwave a family sized tv dinner. If I give him a look of disapproval or worry, he'll take it offensively and consequently, I feel bad and I back off.. but honestly he's OBESE and, being in a family with a history of diabetes and heart disease, I worry for him... It's heartbreaking.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information