Thread: Movie food etiquette -- is there any?

Default Movie food etiquette -- is there any?

People who get up more than once to get food during a movie. You're there to watch a film, not to eat non-stop.

People who make loud rustling noises during "quiet" moments in the film. Keep your damn popcorn, chocolate bar or mints still until it's over.

People who bring smelly food from home or a restaurant to the movies. I actually had an entire family eat dinner -- garlicky, stinky Chinese food -- behind me at a movie. I like garlic, but I don't like it THAT much.

People who slurp their drinks, then let them roll on the floor even when there's still liquid and ice left in them. Learn some manners!

Default Re: Movie food etiquette -- is there any?

Years ago, I went to a movie with my little brother, and there was a couple in their mid-40's... eating chinese food... off of real plates. With forks. In the theater. They were about three rows in front of us and I could hear all their slurping and scraping. They had gotten take-out, and dispensed the contents onto the plates and chowed down.

I couldn't believe it. I was young, though, and didn't have the balls to report them.

BUMP^^

I also hate the greasy smell of rubbery nachos and cheese. Ugh!

There used to be some theaters here and the last place I lived, where you could order appetizers (and in cases pizza), and drinks and/or beer. It was pretty cool. I just hated when they used to allow smoking, and only rarely went then.

I've gone to the ice cream shop and then into an AMC, but I've never brought regular food in to eat. However, given that they sell hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, etc, you're going to get food smells and noises.

I have a bigger problem with people talking, using phones (and letting them ring), bringing children into PG-13 or R rated movies, allowing said children to cry/fuss/scream and not taking them out.

^^ Your last paragraph is the REAL reason I hardly ever go to movies any more. Food just adds to the chaos. It's all about money -- theatres make more on concessions than they do on admissions -- but I think it's a stupid way to watch a movie.

But someone has to post general bad movie etiquette in a different forum!

I've never had someone's food or them eating it bother me in a movie. Maybe I'm just lucky to have never been seated by a loud chewer or slurper! I do like to eat during movies though, I think it adds to the experience. But I'm not loud or annoying while doing it.

We went to a movie two nights ago and I brought some tiramisu in. There's a little cafe right by the theater and I looked in and saw it and had to have it. But I was very quiet!

Elite Member

Never had the smeel of food bug me in the theatre, but the loud rustling sounds do get to me. I always make sure to have everything completely open by the time the previews start. One thing I especially hate is hearing people chewing--if it's a quiet part and I've just popped in a mouthful of popcorn or candy I'll wait it out, so embarrassing.

On another note, last movie I went to was Jarhead, second to last row as the theatre was packed, and soon as the feature started the group of college kids in the row behind us (last row) lit up some weed. Blegh. How disrespectful can you be?

Ooh! Just remembered. Hate when people leave their drinks/containers when they leave, there are trash bins posted every twelve feet till you get to the outdoor exit!

A massive man spilling over his seat was nearby & he had a soft drink from a local burger joint (how is all this food & drink getting smuggled in?) The place where the drink comes from has ice like little small nuggets, not cubes, so there's a ton of it in the cup. He drank all the liquid & sat that crunching the straw into the ice *crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch crunch* so he could suck out the ice. *sluuuuurrrrrppppp* Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I just snapped & popped my head over & went SSSHHHHHHHH!!!! He quit, but he looked surprised & offended.

I despise wrapper-rustlers & popcorn-smackers. I just don't go to the movies anymore.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Eating at ALL during a movie is bad etiquette. I don't want to hear your stupid popcorn and you smacking your nasty ass Milk Duds, or slurping your Coke. Ugh. Hate movie eaters.

God people are just digusting poorly bred swines these days.

We go to maybe 4 movies a year and every time we go we're like NEVER AGAIN.

We have a 65" tv in the den and with movies tickets being nearly $10 - it makes more sense to just by the DVD for $19-21 when it comes out.

The thought of someone eating hot smelly food in a theater just revolts me - how did they get it in? Did the person checking their stubs not SMELL it?

People are selfish and rude so my expectations at a public theater are generally low.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Well, I'm going to see Harry Potter tonight with friends, and we ALWAYS do movie popcorn. It is quieter than the candy (since all the candy's in plastic and popcorn's in paper), and I don't act like a pig and eat it a handful at a time (OT: anyone seen the latest Ellen Degeneres standup? she does a HILARIOUS thing about people eating). When I do the movie theater food, I never bring from the outside (with the exception of maybe a can of pop, which I open long before the movie starts, 3 bucks for a thing of pop, or 3 bucks for a CASE of pop?), and I'm always considerate of those around me b/c I get irritated by stuff like that too.

I can't believe people had chinese food & plates. That just takes the cake.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^^ Give some people an inch, they'll take a mile.

Thread Information