Thread: Costco carrying illegally imported Mexican Coke!

SVZ

Default Costco carrying illegally imported Mexican Coke!

ust in time for Cinco De Mayo, cases of authentic Mexican Coca Cola have been spotted at Costco. They're able to sell it since they've conformed to the US and California's regulations, such as labeling the CRV (the recycling deposit) and nutrition facts. So why is this news? Well it tastes different, it's made from sugar instead of corn syrup, and people even say that the fizz lasts longer due to the glass bottle. The Atlanta based Coca-Cola Co. considers Mexican Coke in America to be a form of "bootlegging."

"We believe that the appeal of Mexican Coke is as much about nostalgia as it is about anything," says Martin. "It's like getting a piece of home in a bottle. You can't deny the fact that it's in a tall glass bottle, something you just can't find in most parts of the United States."
    But it's the "same exact product," and Mexican bottlers are buying the ingredients straight from the company, says Martin.
    If it's the same product, then tell me why they sell a kosher Coke during Passover that uses sugar, and tastes more like Mexican Coke?
    Also, I wonder where the folks at Costco are getting their Mexican Coke from.
    "[The non-Coca-Cola distributors are] trespassing on the territory rights of many U.S. bottlers," said Coke spokesman Martin. "Bringing it into the country is not illegal. But what it does do from the Coca-Cola standpoint is it violates contractual rights that we have with our bottlers. And it has potential trademark right infringements as well."
    Hrmm... I better get myself to Costco while it's still available!

Even Better Than The "Real Thing" | yumsugar - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.

You can get that at most Price Choppers in the mexican aisle, as well as at most Mexican specialty stores. It's a favorite around here. I can't stand American coke.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I seem to remember Coke staying fizzy much longer because they were always in glass bottles when I was a kid.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Selling illegally imported coke; that is the funniest thing ever! I haven't drank a coke in like 2 weeks. The one's I mix with Crown do not count.
    Oh by the way; the big deal is that there is a conspiracy involving corn growers and the government subsidies to grow corn. Corn syrup must be in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! Drink the sweet nectar high fructose corn syrup. Coke is evil, Starbucks is evil, and I'm a hypocrite!

Zee

Yeah, I had forgotten that it was fizzier. Just thought it was my memory. The bubbles would tickle your nose.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I love Coke in Europe. It's always served in the glass bottles.

^^^
    in cafés and restaurants, yes. but when you buy it at the supermarket it comes in plastic bottles or cans.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We have Coke in glass bottles too. You can get them either in a glass or plastic bottles of cans.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I miss the glass bottles, and have always thought all soda tasted better when it was bottled in glass bottles. On our trips to Mexico, one of my first purchases has always been a cold Coke. My brother-in-law actually found someplace that shipped me a case of glass bottled Coke for my birthday a couple years ago...best present ever. I wish they would bring back the glass bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Oh by the way; the big deal is that there is a conspiracy involving corn growers and the government subsidies to grow corn. Corn syrup must be in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!
    That is so true. It's even in bread. insidious and spooky.
    Fortunately, more and more products are appearing that tout themselves as being free from it. good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Selling illegally imported coke; that is the funniest thing ever! I haven't drank a coke in like 2 weeks. The one's I mix with Crown do not count.
    Oh by the way; the big deal is that there is a conspiracy involving corn growers and the government subsidies to grow corn. Corn syrup must be in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! Drink the sweet nectar high fructose corn syrup. Coke is evil, Starbucks is evil, and I'm a hypocrite!
    I have read some stuff about high fructose corn syrup and the theories are #1. it is being added to almost everything. #2. It is highly addictive, which makes us crave more of the foods it's added to. #3. It is responsible for most of the obesity in our society today. This being said (and I do believe it) I too am a hypocrite, because Coke is like my morning coffee.

I can feel my tummy rumbling. I am not a big soda lover at all, but these glass cokes bring back my childhood in such a weird way! I use to drink them all the time when I was younger, now you can't get them anywhere, it seems. The cans and the plastic bottles taste like crap. It would be nice if I could have a glass bottle of Coke right now!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Thread Information