Thread: Imported foods

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Imported foods

I was wondering if anyone here avoids foods imported from certain countries.

I was at Costco today and they had a booth giving out samples of Thai House curry. It came in pouches and all you have to do is heat it up and have it with some steamed rice. This customer that was there asked the sample lady if the food was imported and the sample lady says it's made in Vancouver. I look at the pouch to read the label and it says imported, product of Thailand.

Anyways, I love curry and the samples I tried (I tried 2 of the 3 flavours, Red, Yellow curries, Green curry I didn't eat) were yum so I bought 4 pouches of Red.

But should I avoid foods manufactured in 3rd/2nd world countries? I'd be suspicious of foods and produce from China esp since the pet food recall, they seem to use pesticides, chemical fertilizers and feeds etc that are banned in most other countries...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I'm leery of stuff from China, but frankly, I'm not sure corporate ethics/responsibility are any better here. They import from the cheapest countries and charge us top dollar. I make my own -- it's a little safer, anyway.

Yea I agree, things produced over here might not be all that good either. You know Rogers the sugar company I think their factory is like near Hastings? I always think of rats running amok in there...

But certain ingredients you need to use, like the basic ones e.g. flour, spices and others, you can't make your own! But hopefully, there will be more selection of organically made products.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I have been wondering about this too. After the pet thing, and some on TV saying could be in human supply it really is troubling. I have had stuff from Thailand too-with no ill effect THAT I KNOW OF. That's the thing-how the heck do we know. There are a of countries where we pretty well know it's OK, but China if off my list. Organic is best!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yea when you want to cook some exotic cuisine and things, the ingredients you need are usually imports. Even if I wanted to make Thai curry from scratch, it's not like I'm going to make my own coconut milk from a real coconut! I'd opt for the easy canned coconut milk. We have to be careful with produce, too. I come across veggies (sugar peas comes to mind) that are imported from China. I also like Asian fruits like lychees and longans and I'm sure they come from China, too. Do we need to give up foods we enjoy and boycott? Like, what are we supposed to do as consumers? Can't some countries be more ethical and place more value on human health? But at the same time, maybe you know in developing countries and places, they have more serious things to worry about than farming and producing healthful foods.

Sugar peas! OMG-I didn't even think of them.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

You gotta read the label, stickers and packaging carefully to see where the veggies/fruit were grown or whether imported.

In Japan (where I'm from), produce is quite expensive and most supermarkets offer alternatives like for example, garlic grown in Japan versus garlic imported from China (which is much cheaper). Same with meat, American/Oz beef versus domestic so on and so forth.

At the grocery store, they have the cans of little shrimp and canned crab right next to the tuna. I use it to make crab dip and they both come from Thailand.

Thread Information