Thread: Flavour extracts

Default Flavour extracts

I'm planning to make my own cupcakes for my wedding and would really like to try some different flavours. I'm going to just be using mixes for the cake, as I will really need to save time - I've tested some out, and they're perfectly yummy. But I would like to make one of the varieties cherry-almond and another chocolate-mint (there will be plain vanilla and chocolate as well). I was thinking I could add almond extract to the batter and then make cherry-tinged icing... has anyone ever tried something similar? I'm wondering how much extract I'd need to add to be effective, and if it was beyond a certain amount, would I need to add more dry ingredients to balance the liquid?

Also, I thought I would just pair chocolate cupcakes with mint icing for the chocolate mint. But what kind of mint is it that you usualy find in, say, chocolate mint ice cream? It doesn't taste like peppermint to me... would it be spearmint, and can you buy spearmint extract? Should I combine a few different types of mint? I'm trying for that minty-candy flavour.

Thanks for any advice or tips you can offer. I just don't want to get into making a dozen trial batches to experiment, as that would pretty much kill my diet!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

You can buy most kinds of extracts. I think Amaretto would work well for almond flavoring. Cake soaks up booze well and you would still get the almond taste.

You can definitely buy cherry and peppermint extract, or you could use cherry concentrated juice. I'm sure you can find spearmint too if you look around a bit. There is also creme de menthe liquer and cherry liquer if you want to go that route.

Tati-I once made several batches of cup cakes for work (only I used ice cream cones with flat bottoms) I used the SAME vanilla icing from a can, but divided it into different colors. That was the ONLY difference. I watched in amusement as ADULTS would say-"You have got to try one of theses cherry ones" "No-the lime ones are much better" AND THE FLAVOR WAS EXACTLY THE SAME! So don't worry about anything but the frosting!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

You ladies are brilliant! I don't know why I didn't think of using liqueurs. I am starting to think it will be easier to flavour and colour the frosting than to add liquid to the cake batter. Creme de menthe would be the perfect flavour icing for the chocolate mint, and I could even do cherry chip cake (which also happens to be my dad's favourite) with almond/amaretto icing.

I do plan to colour the icing, and those colours will fall into the colour scheme. So I guess the colour will go a long way towards suggesting a different flavour, lol.

Thanks!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Mmmm that sounds like a good plan. Also, Tati, you said you were making your cupcakes for your wedding. To make them really professional looking, freeze them first (they do this at all bakeries) and then ice them. Keep hot water beside you to use on your knife - that will allow you to get a perfect application. Also if you are not using store bought icing, be sure to use shortening in your buttercream instead of butter otherwise it will melt in the heat/humidity of summer.

Yes, put it in the icing because you can keep adding powder until you have the right flavour and consistency.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Tati-I once made several batches of cup cakes for work (only I used ice cream cones with flat bottoms) I used the SAME vanilla icing from a can, but divided it into different colors. That was the ONLY difference. I watched in amusement as ADULTS would say-"You have got to try one of theses cherry ones" "No-the lime ones are much better" AND THE FLAVOR WAS EXACTLY THE SAME! So don't worry about anything but the frosting!
    That's funny! It's amazing how much the colour of food affects people. When I was a student a friend and I made a massive pile of biscuits (cookies) for some function, and we used food colouring to make them red, yellow, green and blue. They were all the same basic lemon butter biscuit, but nobody would eat the blue ones. I guess humans just aren't programmed to eat blue stuff!
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Thread Information