Thread: Your most embarrassing/awful dining out experience

Default Your most embarrassing/awful dining out experience

Well, I've had a few. One was last Valentine's Day at a neighbourhood Italian restaurant that made us feel completely unwelcome because, I guess, we weren't one of their "regulars." They gave us a lousy table and when we requested another one the owner got nasty and basically told us to like it or lump it. Moments later some regulars came in and were given the table we wanted even though we had a reservation and they didn't. I wanted to leave but my husband was right -- everywhere else was full. The food, wine and service were expensive and mediocre, and needless to say, we've never been back and have badmouthed it to everyone we know.

Then there was the time years ago when I was dining with colleagues at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills. We were all a little over-refreshed and dinner took a long time to arrive. I was cutting into my lamb chops a little too enthusiastically and one flew off my plate and hit Steve Martin, who was dining nearby, in the head. Hard.

I was mortified. I went over to apologize in person and he was great about it and thought it was funny. When I couldn't stop apologizing, he laughed harder. He then sent our table more drinks, which was just what we didn't need but drank anyway to be polite. And all that apologizing had made me thirsty!

Default Re: Your most embarrassing/awful dining out experience

^^bump.

When I was in my single man hating days my best girlfriend tried her best to get me to go out. So she invited me to dinner and tickets for a band playing at a local dive.

Well, she didn't tell me that I was going with her, her husband and 6 other couples. When I got to the restaurant and saw the giant long table of couples I could barely swallow, when they sat me at the end and I looked down the long table of getting tipsy, smiling laughing couples thatwere all friends with each other I wanted to go home a cry.

I never felt more alone and out of place than I did that night.

Oddly enough she's the same person that set me up on a blind date with my current beau of nearly 5 years.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

^^^ I had a very similiar experience. I thought when my friend picked me up for dinner that we were going out to a casual dinner (just the two of us)because THAT WAS THE PLAN! Instead, I ended up at a party in a restaurant for his Mom's friend surrounded by a bunch of snobs I didn't know. I was dressed for pizza and a movie and ended up at a fine-dining establishment. You should have seen the looks I got just walking through the restaurant to the back room. My "friend"...ha!...had just come from work so he was in his suit. Worked out fine for him! Bastard!

I got placed at the end of one of those long tables because I wasn't dressed "appropriately" for the evening and the end seat was shoved into the corner so no one would notice me and "that would be best" according to the waiter.

It was dark and moody in there and everyone was chatting but me. My friend who now didn't want to be seen with me was busy trying to hit on a woman at the party and had only brought me because he figured I chat with his mother while he was off trying to hook up for the evening. (His Mom never even acknowledged my presence.) I'm still not sure who paid for the evening but when it was time to leave a tip these people (who didn't even share the food with me) had no problem asking me to pay my share of the tip. They asked for $20. I asked, "Are you serious?" Surely, they couldn't be serious. They were serious. I had money with me but I told them I didn't. I said, "I'm supposed to be eating pizza right now." The looks on their faces were priceless. One woman told me how rude I was! hahaha Eventually, my friend drove me home then went back to the restaurant to pick up his one-night stand. Ewww, he was such a himbo. Probably still is.

I should have just left but I was a young people-pleaser at the time and didn't want to be impolite. HA! How pathetic, huh? Thank God, I grew up and got a clue about life. I'd never end up in that situation today.

^^ At least you stood up for yourself about the tip. Good for you!

^^^ Aww, thanks! It's so funny because I can't believe what a pushover I was when I was younger. It's wonderful when you realize your own value and worth and are able to put a stop to a situation you didn't sign up for- before it even begins.

BTW...I've speant the entire day imagining your lamb chop launching across the aisle and hitting Steve Martin in the head. That image just keeps popping up in my head. I try not to laugh because I can imagine your horror but it's such a great story that I can't stop giggling. Sorry! I'm glad he was a good sport about the situation.

wow! you hit steve martin with a pork chop? how cool is that!!!
    All this can be yours for only $19.95!

^^ Yes, it's really something my grandchildren will be proud of!

A*O

My sister and I met up in New York for a shopathon and we went to an Italian restaurant on the Upper East Side (should have known better). We were given a crappy table by the toilets and received S L O W service all night. After an indifferent meal and an eye-watering bill we left a begrudging 10% tip and got ready to leave. We were immediately surrounded by 4-5 waiters and the maitre 'd who said the tip wasn't acceptable and I would not get my credit card back until I adjusted the tip!!! These guys were very menacing and the WHOLE restaurant was looking over to see what the problem might be. We had the choice of giving in to this extortion (these guys were the types who are in that line of work anyway) or creating a scene. So we wussed out, paid up and left. I'm sure if there'd been a man with us this would not have happened. Bastards.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Anniversary dinner with husband. Expensive Italian restaurant.

Moments after receiving drinks, the buzz saw started. They were remodelling the loft upstairs. Waiter assures us that the saw will stop. It did, & we got our food. Buzz saw started again, and did not stop.

As we were leaving, husband said something to owner, who replied, "We're remodelling upstairs." NOT "Oh, I'm sorry if it interfered with your dining experience." No apology whatsoever.

We'll never go back, even though the food is wonderful. Arrogant horrible man.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

My boyfriend at the time and I went to this yuppie place for dinner. We were one of two tables in the dining room (there was another room, but it was a more casual room, mostly sandwiches). My friend is very Italian looking, very handsome in a dark way, and I guess the owner didn't think he belonged in this snobbish yuppie eatery. At first he tried to tell us we coudn't come in to sit down, because my friend didn't have a tie on. He had one of those shirts that look like a tuxedo shirt, with all the small pleats in the front, but no tie. He had dress slacks. I had on a skirt. The only other table there was a couple with their 20-something kid. He had on bermuda shorts and a kit sports shirt. We pointed him out to the owner. He said, "The young man's jacket is in the car." !!!??? We stared at him pointedly until he gave in and seated us. We would have left but we had specifically gone there, and it was about two hours away from my house. I was embarassed that my friend was treated like that, and embarassed for the owner because he looked like such an idiot. I have never been back.
    Keep passing the open windows.

It was "parents weekend" at my school and my dad came. He brought my stepmom, my siblings, and my stepmom's parents and he wanted to take everyone out for a nice dinner. We went to a steakhouse and after being seated, we were not greeted by a waiter for over thirty minutes. We also didn't receive any water in this time. Having come straight from a 4 hour football game, we were all hungry and thirsty. My dad spoke to the manager who sent our waitress out. She angrily said, "I understand that you complained about the service. I'll try to be fast so that we'll both be happy." My dad was stunned. He beckoned to her to come closer, not wanting to embarrass her in front of the other guests, and said "do you have a problem with me?" she denied it and after that the service was fine. My dad is usually a very generous tipper (well over 30%) but this time he left only 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    we were not greeted by a waiter for over thirty minutes. We also didn't receive any water in this time.

My dad spoke to the manager who sent our waitress out. She angrily said, "I understand that you complained about the service. I'll try to be fast so that we'll both be happy."
    Wow, I would have left long before 30 minutes.

The waitress was a rotten bitch - she shouldn't have even recieved a tip.

Your father must have a heart of gold.

Not long ago I was out with the beau and it took two hours to get buffalo wings and a cesar salad with grilled chicken. We were ignored by our waiter the entire time and when the beau was so furious half through eating the lousy meal he got up and asked the owner for the check and thanked her for the cold food and the two hour wait.

There was no tip left.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I went out with my GF and some random guys she knew a few years ago. We went to a diner afterward, and one of the drunken randoms barfed all over the table. Such a loser!

Thread Information