Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not supposed to drink liquids while eating. Any thoughts?

Default Not supposed to drink liquids while eating. Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that you're supposed to drink liquids only half an hour before you eat and half an hour after you eat.

The reasoning was that liquids and fats do not mix and if you drink while you're eating the fats stick to the wall of your stomach and end up being stored as fat.

Can anybody who knows more about it elaborate? Or is it complete bull?

I have heard it better to drink something warm/hot than cold because it helps the body to digest better. That fats would digest better and quicker anyways.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't know about that, but drinking liquid with meals dilutes HCL. Hydrochloric Acid that is, which is what assists in digesting your food. This has long been a "health food" type of notion, but it's very true and more people need to do it. As people get older (over 45) HCL decreases and sometimes a supplement is needed. But for most people it's good to just limit a bit the liquid that is taken with solid foods.

While growing up, my extremely bizarre and freak show of a father (who raised us very holisitically--to the point of the ridiculous), would not allow us to EVER drink ANYTHING with our meals. Reason? Because, according to him, it interferred w/digestion and made the stomach work harder (I'm paraphrasing his words). So, for years, we never drank w/our meals. Guests were always asking for water, etc...and were confused. It was embarrassing actually....
    To this day, I do not drink w/my meals. Just habit now.

I don't remember him ever saying anything about a time frame before or after a meal that you could drink, just not WITH the actual meal.

I never drink with my meals, but I still have VERY bad digestion, so I don't think that not drinking really helps that much. I I have always heard this however.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well greeneyed that's because you need some natural digestive enzymes. Good vitamin formulas have them right in there, so you don't have to buy them separately. But jus remember that it takes 2-4 weeks to build up in your system, so don't expect a miracle upon taking one pill.

So wtf do you do when your meal is dry, has lots of bread or is otherwise thirst inducing? Suffer?

I seriously doubt sipping some wine or whatever beverage you like will do any harm.. what about the liquids in whatever you're eating leaching out and reducing the effectiveness of your stomach acid?

Old wives tale.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh there's nothing wrong with sipping. Thanks for bringing that up Grimm. It's really not an old wives' tale. You're supposed to sip liquids, just don't put like 6-10 oz. or more, which is what a lot of people do. But a lot of people don't have the problem. The ones who do, however, should definitely try this because it does help.

Yeah, i'll get right on that after my aerobics lesson

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Truckin'... got my chips cashed in. keep truckin, like the do-dah man
    Together, more or less in line, just keep truckin on... doo doo doo....

Truckin'... like the do-dah man. once told me youve got to play your hand
    Sometimes your cards aint worth a dime, if you dont layem down... whoa whoa whoa...

No I'm not stoned per the "getting ready" thread. Haven't had a hit of a bong in frieakin years (i know, what a poser), but I may need one later after I turn in 3 papers and do an oral presentation (no not that kind )

I swear Grimm, you are a riot, you really make my day.
    You are too damn funny!

Mira, I eat VERY healthy and I take a daily vitamin and I eat high fiber foods but it still sucks. I have been to the Dr over this several times, I think my insides are just all screwed up. haha

Hit By Ban Bus!

Forget the frickin allopathic dr. and try some natural enzymes. Get thee to a good health food store where they send people to trainings constantly, and tell them what's going on and ask what they recommend. It is very possible that you need some HCL, or some natural enzymes (betain, papain, bromelain, etc.) Check out the Alive vitamins by Nature's Way, they have the full spectrum of digestive enzymes in there, plus a whole bunch of really good stuff. I rarely get tired or indigestion anymore. And my hair is growing like a weed.

My grandfather used to always tell me not to drink with my meals. But I still do anyhow!

A*O

I think the 'no drinking with meals' thing originated with the original 'fad' Hay Diet of 'food combining' where you should not eat protein (acid) and carbs (alkaline) in the same meal. I recall the diet also says you should not drink anything for 30mins before or after eating but I'll check on that.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's it A*O, I just checked my 30-yr-old "food-combining" poster from a health food store that I found recently when I moved and was cleaning out an old box - I'd been looking for that thing for years!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information