Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack of the 1000 calorie entrees!

Default Attack of the 1000 calorie entrees!

No wonder so many people are battling the bulge, you don't even realize how much calories you eat at one sitting!

Attack of the 1,000-Calorie Entrees! - Hungry Girl on Yahoo! Food

Think salads are safe? That grilled always equals guilt-free? Even healthy-sounding entrees can be cleverly disguised diet disasters! Here are some of the worst offenders, courtesy of your pal HG.

SALAD INSANITY

Bob Evans Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
    (1,108 calories, 63g fat, 2,741mg sodium, 63g carbs, 7g fiber, 43g sugars, 40g protein)

Fruit, nuts, and sliced chicken...on lettuce? This salad sounds wholesome enough. But don't be fooled! Bacon, bleu cheese, and gobs of Italian dressing all play a part in this salad's pitiful nutritionals. Over 1,100 calories for a salad?! We're on to you, Bob.

Hardee's Southwest Chicken Salad

(1,100 calories, 83g fat, 1,910mg sodium, 59g carbs, 4g fiber, 6g sugars, 29g protein)
    Yes, Southwest chicken salads are delicious, but one with 83 fat grams is embarrassing. You may as well have a fat hamburger and a giant order of fries. Sheesh!

Bob Evans Chili & Cheese Taco Salad

(1,381 calories, 72g fat, 3,263mg sodium, 182g carbs, 23g fiber, 30g sugars, 42g protein)

Aha! Another salad sure to screw up your day, courtesy of Bob Evans. This one's slightly more suspicious sounding, with a double whammy of chili and cheese right there in the title. Mounds of cheddar and sausage chili smothered in avocado ranch dressing make this plate of fatty goo one you don't wanna mess with!

Chili's Mesquite Chicken Salad with Dressing

(1,050 calories, 69g fat, 3,110 sodium, 56g carbs, 11g fiber, 58g protein)

You might have guessed that their famous Baby Back Ribs are bad for those battling the bulge (and you'd have guessed right), but a mesquite chicken salad, too?!? Yep. Layers of bacon and cheese, complete with a thick blob of fat-packed ranch dressing, all adds up to over 1,000 calories of horribleness.

CRIMES AGAINST CHICKEN

McDonald's Chicken Selects Premium Breast Strips (10 piece)
    (1,270 calories, 66g fat, 3,100mg sodium, 92g carbs, 0g fiber, 77g protein)

Premium Breast Strips? That's just a fancy way of saying fried chicken fingers! Call 'em what you want, Ronald, but your Chicken Selects are a clucking MESS! And you KNOW people dip those things in your sugary BBQ sauce or creamy honey mustard, too. And those just take this already offensive meal FAR over the edge.

P.F. Chang's Orange Peel Chicken
    (1,151 calories, 47g fat, 127g carbs, 61g protein)

Here's another seemingly healthful offering. Chicken "tossed with chili peppers and fresh orange peel" -- how bad could that be? Upon closer inspection, we uncovered that this particular chicken dish contains both Kung Pao and Sichuan sauces, two notoriously high-cal condiments. By the time this bird hits your plate, it's dragging more than eleven hundred calories with it. Yeech!

Macaroni Grill Honey Balsamic Chicken
    (1,220 calories, 67g fat, 2,750mg sodium, 94g carbs, 10g fiber, 57g protein)

Think choosing poultry over pasta at Macaroni Grill will keep you fitting into your skinny jeans? Not if this dish is any indication. Here's a little tip: Instead order something called Pollo Magra (Skinny Chicken), and save yourself more than 900 calories and over 60 grams of fat!

Chili's Monterey Chicken
    (1,170 calories, 71g fat, 3,530mg sodium, 70g carbs, 8g fiber, 72g protein)

Yet another of Chili's calorically challenged chicken dishes. Their Monterey Chicken, a cheese, bacon, and BBQ sauce smothered entree, packs in an alarming 1,170 calories and more than 70 grams of fat. Gross!

BROCCOLI BEHAVING BADLY

P.F. Chang's Beef with Broccoli (dinner portion)
    (1,120 calories, 65g fat, 38g carbs, 93g protein)
    Come on, Chang! Beef with Broccoli is one of those Asian entrees even WE were sure we could safely chew! But it just isn't so. P.F.'s meat 'n mini trees are suffocated with sugar, sauce, cornstarch, and oil. That's just wrong.

Ruby Tuesday Fresh Chicken & Broccoli Pasta
    (2,061 calories, 128g fat, 109g net carbs, 13g fiber)

Yikes! It's official; we have a winner (well, actually a loser). This dish has broken the calorie barrier, racking up more than any other on the list. Chicken and broccoli were clearly assaulted over at Ruby T, and emerged as a freakishly fattening entree with more than 2,000 calories and nearly 130 fat grams! How on Earth can Ruby T's get away with this?!

GRILLS GONE WILD

Macaroni Grill Grilled Salmon (Teriyaki)
    (1,290 calories, 81g fat, 6,600mg sodium, 79g carbs, 5g fiber, 57g protein)

Record highs were reached on the sodium scale the day this dish was born. There's nearly three times the daily recommended allowance of the stuff swimming around with this salmon. And even if we could get past the icky amounts of salt, we're deeply offended by the crazy calorie and fat counts attached to this simple grilled fish dish. Yikes!

Macaroni Grill Grilled Pork Chops

(1,800 calories, 107g fat, 4,950mg sodium, 92g carbs, 8g fiber, 115g protein)

Yep, a third entree on our thou-cal-plus list from those maniacs at Macaroni Grill. This one contains more than 100 grams of fat and a horrifying 1,800 calories. Uhh, pork, the other white meat?! Not in this case...

AFTERNOON OFFENDERS

P.F. Chang's Lo Mein Combo (lunch portion)
    (1,740 calories, 122g fat, 98g carbs, 55g protein)

If you think ordering up the lunch portion keeps you safe out there, you are sadly mistaken. Chang's downsized order of Lo Mein includes beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, and enough fat and calories to feed an entire family. Can you even IMAGINE how many calories and fat grams the dinner size packs in?!

Burger King TRIPLE WHOPPER Sandwich
    (1,130 calories, 74g fat, 1,160mg sodium, 51g carbs, 3g fiber, 11g sugars, 67g protein)

And rounding out our list is a true triple threat. This BK burger's a royal mess of a meal. But then again, would you expect anything less from a TRIPLE WHOPPER?!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Argh. I was at Trader Joe's yesterday, and most of the entrees are high in calories, carbs and sodium. Gotta be really careful there. I walked out almost empty-handed. Not giving in when I've made this much progress. 5 lbs. whoopeedoo.

That's disgusting. A salad isn't nessacarily any better then a burger at a fast food joint. What sort of restaurant is Trader Joe's? Is it like a diner, or a bistro?
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Silver Member

Trader Joes is a market that sells some foods in ready to eat mode like salads.
    Some other entrees are frozen but ready to microcook and then eat.

Don't forget the 2 Buck Chuck!!

As a side note, I love Hungry Girl, I signed up for the newsletter ages ago. She has really good swaps for really calorie-heavy foods as well as heads up about the newest diet-friendly products.

Hungry Girl

I just bookmarked it, it looks like a great site.

At times it is obvious who her sponsors are, but I don't really mind that b/c the products she tends to push are things that actually are diet friendly and do taste good (vita tops are one of the big ones she pushes). Besides, it's easy to ignore the ad for the stuff she gets money for.

I probably can't buy most of the products here anyway.

Bronze Member

Well they don't sell those products over here but that is still very scary. I'm sure that we have products that are just as bad. I think I'll stick to cooking my own food.

Ugh, look at the amount of sodium in those things as well! I'm willing to let fat and calories slide once in a while for a dinner out or something, but those items aren't just calorie-dense - they're drenched in salt, starch and oils.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Holy Christ.

Elite Member

eye-opening..glad i am not dieting anymmore as of few days ago lol

Eating out at restaurants seems to derail almost every diet or healthy eating plan, even when you think you're eating well. Sauces and marinades seem to have "hidden" calories....you know, those that aren't obvious. An old friend of the family is a chef and he told us that when they grill fish in a lot of restaurants, they actually brush a coat of oil or butter on it. Hidden calories that you didn't know about.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My mom and I went out for dinner tonight to a nice local family restaurant (not a chain). I could not believe the dressing for the Asian Chicken Salad that we ordered to split! The dressing, first of all, looked disgustingly fake (thick, clear, corn-starchy looking slag), and second of all it was very sweet and sugary. So unnecessary. There was already a bit of teriyaki sauce on the chicken that was laying on top of the greens. I couldn't help but wonder if the greens had any hidden sugar in them, like McDonald's is supposed to have (along with the other fast food places). OVerall, it tasted all right, but the look of the dressing was disturbing.

Guess my thinking has improved, after I caught my breath! Love the Hungry Girl website-THANKS!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information